Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 245678910111213141516171819202232 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Hunter Rifle UPDATED December 10 2015

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_250r View Post
    Why is the lower silver?
    Mostly because you haven't been paying attention.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunM View Post
    From what I heard in the store, it's more fn-fal style, with some form of hook/prong that goes into the lower (I never looked up fn fal to see though.) guess it holds everything tighter and with less movement. And as accuracy is the number one priority after reliably, less movement sounds excellent.

It actually looks pretty bad ass as just shiny aluminum with black hardware lol. It's a shame anodizing it has so many more benefits lol.

Eagerly awaiting the pics of the upper and then handling it
    get the upper , lower , and barrel anodized silver . It looks awesome.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianma65 View Post
    get the upper , lower , and barrel anodized silver . It looks awesome. I'll be ordering one in the new yr , and I want it to look like my 1022,
    Would consider that, but I went carbon fiber barrel, carbon fiber handguard, and just don't think that would look right. Plus this will be getting some real world use and shiny metallic silver just seems foolish in the bush ☺

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel_250r View Post
    Why is the lower silver?
    Becuase it has not been anodized yet and doing them 1 at a time is REAL costly so we do them in large batchs. THEN they will be black.

So question for those who like the silver look, I will look into getting clear anodizing as another option. I am not an expert on anodizing but from what I understand the can be "died" pretty much any color.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    So question for those who like the silver look, I will look into getting clear anodizing as another option. I am not an expert on anodizing but from what I understand the can be "died" pretty much any color.
    I used to be big into the paintball scene. We played competitive tournaments in "air ball."

Clear is exactly what you would expect. It looks unfinished but has the properties of anodizing. I'm not sure if clear is available in type 3; the only places I've seen that offer type 3 will give you the choice of any colour, so long as it's black. Type 3 anodizing is a lot more wear resistant than type 2.

The look of unfinished some people are liking here is actually a style in the paintball world. It's called "stormtrooper."

ron.hockman.org/images/paintball/Clone02t.jpg

It's amazing what a talented anodizer can do.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3628945

Any type of ano can be done in clear... the hard part is actually getting the dye to take on type 3. The reality is that hard isn't always the best because hard can flake around the sharp corners. Type 2 is more than durable enough for firearm application.

Quote Originally Posted by solonvan View Post
    The reality is that hard isn't always the best because hard can flake around the sharp corners.
    I was under the impression that anodizing actually dyes the pores of the aluminum. It is not a finish or coating like paint that "chips" or "flakes." It is impregnated and part of the aluminum.

Please correct me if I'm misunderstood.
    Last edited by moogles; 09-13-2014 at 10:22 PM.

Ano is the process of turning the outside layer of the aluminium into aluminium oxide. It is not a coating what so ever. They dye is added during the process and is not a result of the process. Aluminium oxide is one of the hardest substances on the planet which makes it very wear resistant. The black is purely esthetic

CGN Regular
    So technically I could get one anodized to the tartan of clan Maclean?

CGN Regular
    For enough money, probably..... They just said before that it's very expensive to anodize one at a time