Page 8 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Hunter Rifle UPDATED December 10 2015

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evan_880 View Post
    just curious if there is certain hand guards that wont fit or will most AR10 hand guards fit?
    The 1s that we know will fit are listed on our website in the pages for the Modern Hunter.
    Many do not as they are designed to fit the Armalite version which is different than the DPMS version.
    Given that Amallite has fewer options we elected to go with the DPMS deck height and barrel extension type.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by nowarningshot View Post
    Just me, but if a lot of people opt in for certain things like ceracote, specific barrel profiles, vanilla furniture....would you then offer a chevrolet version of the rifle at a discounted price. I am thinking of price, and from your point of view...ease of manufacture.

I don't know how many people are going to want a cadilac version, i am not wanting a tactical item. Really i want what the topic talks about, a modern hunter. Accurate and dependable without lot of fuss. Again any idea of a time frame...even a ballpark....where a non 308 family chambering would be available?
    We DO offer a base rifle, but funny enough so far 95% have decided to go with many if not all the upgrades, so it would appear than most prefer the Cadillac versions.

No clue as to when we might have time or the capital to invest in the Modern Magnum. THIS is the honest answer. I can tell you any lie you want to hear but prefer not to. What I can state is that the Modern Varminter will be the next model we plan to work on.
    Simply it is a matter of numbers. The higher the demand the greater the urgency to get it into production. The fact is we are busting our balls trying to get this project under control.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

The FRT is a done deal, changing caliber does not change the fundamental engineering of the firearm. The 308 family is first up, and again it would not mean a new FRT or any real changes for each caliber, as the springs, mag well, magazine...everything is the same.

They said going to another caliber(s)is a plan, but after they have made some money and recovered some R&D money. Lots of people are talking about 223, i am talking about calibers like 7mm Rem mag, 338 win mag. Since those two are based on the same 300H&H case sized to 2.5", it would be a barrel change and $750...or roughly the cost of any bolt action, to have two ATRS modern hunters with the turn of the wrench and 15 minutes.

So a lot of people are probably putting down deposits, and i am hoping that there is a time frame. Ballpark, best guess here.
    I wish you were correct, but sadly.... The scaled down version Modern Varminter and up scaled version Modern Magnum will both require an inspection by the FRT group simply because they are different platforms all together. Your theory is sound IF we were talking anything but a semi auto firearm. Unfortunately as soon as it is a semi auto the thought process from the government changes radically.
    The entire lower is different from the platform for 223 to 308 based cartridges as well as from 308 to magnums. The mag well is not only different in length but the mag release also differs greatly. To date there is really no commercially available mags for the magnum calibers except from a couple of proprietary mags offered by Nemo and Noreen. And they are not cheap.
    There is significant differences in what the dimensions are for each upper and lower. Now I realize that the Hydra system has been able to account for some of these, but it is 100% proprietary so we can not employ it.

Well as someone posted right after my "cadilac version" post... a cadilac is a chevrolet with nice paint. A better analogy might be a Corvette and a Ferrari.

Thanks for replying about the "Modern magnum", that would be my rifle. Reliable, accurate, and designed to help with recoil from magnum hunting calibers. Know there are some stock designs to help with recoil...Knoxx?? Anyways you folks have to go where the demand is, and in thinking on it, the "Modern Varmiter" would be the next demand. People wanting super accurate 223 NR platforms.

I could see there being a demand for a platform like this in large hunting calibers such as 300 WM, 338 WM, and even 7 mm and 300 RUM. Unfortunately the demand might be in the States, a closed market for a small company.
    I doubt that we will be any more successful marketing our "Modern" series rifles in the US that we are with our AR15 variant. It was deemed a "weapon of war" by the BATFE, hence non importable.

I think that there WILL be a limited market for the Magnum, being a bigger caliber fan myself I also truly want a semi auto in 300 Win, but developing these is not cheap, and as benevolent as I am have to look at the economics.
    My thinking is, we KNOW we can make an AR15 work flawlessly and be very accurate. We are damned sure we can make an AR10 style rifle run flawlessly and be accurate given what we have experienced with the MH to date. Once we have some in circulation I think we learn more still. I am realistic enough to realize that we will have some guns that could be problems in the beginning but we are prepared for that. We are REAL anal here and are doing our absolute best to make sure what we make IS what we claim it will be. Once we KNOW that the Modern Hunter is perfect then we can take what we have learned and apply it to the Magnum. But it will take time. There are only so many hours in a day and days in a year. Rather than try to rush several projects at the same time it seems more logical to develop 1, make it perfect then move to the next project.
    Hopefully that answers the questions. truly i am not trying to be a smart ass, just up front and honest about what we are doing.
    Last edited by alberta tactical rifle; 11-12-2014 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastattack View Post
    Just like in the USA where FS2000s, Tavors, MSARs, RFBs etc can be had a rock bottom prices because they have to compete with $600 ARs! Oh wait, that is utter BS! First of all, quality products do not compete with cheap products or products in different market sectors. AR-308s do not compete with .223 AR15s. There is little market crossover. KAC is not competing with Norinco, same as Ford Focus is not competing with a Lexus SUV. Whether or not the AR is DE-RESTRICTED (let's not delude ourselves, the AR will never be a "named" non-restricted), the vast majority of ARs in the country will remain restricted due to barrel length. You are quite frankly an idiot if you think all the other currently non-restricted black rifles will plummet in price simply because 18.5"+ ARs are Non-Restricted.

As for ATRS's "Not an AR-308" AR-308 rifle, they are more than in line with other top offerings in the field. Whether or not ARs are de-restricted will not change the fact that quality AR-308s start around $2K USD and climb to over $5K USD. Again, ATRS is not making this .308 rifle to compete with .223 rifles. That would just be non-nonsensical. If they planned in competing with .223s, they would have made a .223!

Personally I am very interested in this rifle. However that hinges on the rifle's ability to accept either standard or modified A1/A2 handguards, or how readily I could manufacture a wood forearm for it. If I were to purchase an ATRS Modern hunter, it would be used exactly as the name suggests, for hunting. My personal taste dictates that any self-respecting hunting rifle has a wood stock, and they only make wood AR stocks is A1/A2 configuration.
    We actually had wood furniture made for the prototype we sent to the FRT group.
    It would not be difficult to make wood furniture similar to the A2 butt and fore stock. To use the 2 piece plastic snap in hand guards would only require putting a front furniture ring behind the gas block and employing a Delta ring on the barrel nut.
    In our business ethic we only do what we can do well, so leave wood entirely alone. It has been said of my best wood working skill as making a campfire.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
    Am I reading this correctly? People are putting deposits down on a concept, not an actual functional, tested firearm? Sounds like a Kickstarter campaign.
    ATRS is one of the companies that have the positive reputation to pull it off. They have a long history of making quality gear, expensive yeah, but quality.

Really though, we're just getting a really early look at this. In other cases, the manufacturer would wait 6 months until they have a polished unit, and then start shopping it around to distributors and clients, and then a year or two later after tens of thousands of units had been assembled it would hit the shelves.

Instead, ATRS is giving us the pre-release to the pre-release, letting us see it and get first dibs and provide input before it's on store shelves. If ATRS had waited until they had a bunch made, there would be endless complaining because people wanted a 24" barrel and not a 22" barrel.

The hardest part is through, it has received it's Non-Restricted FRT entry, which took several years unless I'm mistaken. Many of the features such as the DI gas system and the magazines have already been arguably perfected, and ATRS has much related experience with their AT-15 Pistol and their AR-15 rifles.

Okay, shilling complete, give me a free rifle!
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Red View Post
    Am I reading this correctly? People are putting deposits down on a concept, not an actual functional, tested firearm? Sounds like a Kickstarter campaign.
    Not at all are you reading this correctly. We have a well known and proven company that has a solid reputation for making very high quality firearms for the last 20 years that has a proven prototype, that simply needed to be made pretty hence sale-able, offering a chance to own a truly custom and potentially collectable firearm to 75 people ahead of the mainstream production run where options will be severely limited, much like the other manufacturers do.
    What we are offering is a 60 year old operating system that is WELL proven in a slightly modified package that has some refinements and upgrades made to it, but unlike the rest of this style of rifle it is NON Restricted.

Quote Originally Posted by polskiogorki View Post
    Put out your price for a 338 lapua version, il send in full payment now!
    Well, based on the investment to date of the first Modern Hunter to come out of production I would estimate that the first Modern Magnum would cost just a touch over $200000.00, the second and subsequent rifles produced will be much less expensive mind you.
    I realize that $200000.00 to $250000.00 may be chump change to some, but to a small manufacturer like us, it is not.
    If you want to front the costs of developing the Modern Magnum so we can get it into production sooner, maybe we should talk further?

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Well, based on the investment to date of the first Modern Hunter to come out of production I would estimate that the first Modern Magnum would cost just a touch over $200000.00, the second and subsequent rifles produced will be much less expensive mind you.
    I realize that $200000.00 to $250000.00 may be chump change to some, but to a small manufacturer like us, it is not.
    If you want to front the costs of developing the Modern Magnum so we can get it into production sooner, maybe we should talk further?
    Rick,

You are to be commended for taking the risk to bring a new firearm to the market. Many talk the talk, but here you ahve proven you are willing to walk the walk.

Congrats,

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    When I win the lotto tonight, I'll be in touch. ;-)

Development costs are high, but this starved Canadian market really needed a high quality option that I just don't think any of the available non restricted semi autos took care of.

And I didn't read back if there was any slag at my supporting ATRS, but I'm a non affiliated repeat customer and there's a reason for that repeat business, they're my go to place.

Shaun
    Last edited by ShaunM; 09-10-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Stupid phone and auto correct