Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: The Modern Hunter Rifle UPDATED December 10 2015

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeeretimex View Post
    has anyone talked about the .50 Beowulf for this gun?
    Unless I am mistaken, that would require similar dimensions and/or tooling as .223 which puts it in the "Maybe after we sell a bunch of .308 and free up some funds to redesign the gun."

Oh winter overtime pay, come soon so I can buy me a Modern Hunter.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer nowarningshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by purplezuk View Post
    I believe they talked early in this post about not deviating from the 308 family of cartridges due to the huge cost and time frame for getting an frt.
    The FRT is a done deal, changing caliber does not change the fundamental engineering of the firearm. The 308 family is first up, and again it would not mean a new FRT or any real changes for each caliber, as the springs, mag well, magazine...everything is the same.

They said going to another caliber(s)is a plan, but after they have made some money and recovered some R&D money. Lots of people are talking about 223, i am talking about calibers like 7mm Rem mag, 338 win mag. Since those two are based on the same 300H&H case sized to 2.5", it would be a barrel change and $750...or roughly the cost of any bolt action, to have two ATRS modern hunters with the turn of the wrench and 15 minutes.

So a lot of people are probably putting down deposits, and i am hoping that there is a time frame. Ballpark, best guess here.
    A free society must outlaw harming innocent people to function, but when we seek to curtail what all of us can do, rather than holding each of us responsible for what we actually do, we give up on freedom itself.

CGN Regular
    They have thought this all out extremely well... I went in person to pick out my options on mine, and there are plans / dreams of going with both magnums and varmint cartridges. But let's not forget that this rifle is still brand new, to the point that only prototypes are in existence. I'd expect years for the other versions. We have to keep our expectations realistic. We've just been let in on the development AGES before most manufacturers would release it.

And about the Cadillac versions, this is ATRS, I can't picture them putting their stamp on anything less. If all you want is a cheap semi auto 308, get a norinco m305.

this is more in competition with xcr-m, famae 542, and swiss arms in my opinion . It doesn't even feel right to say compete though, since all of those funds are 2-5 moa at best. Seeing parts of this in person, it's an absolute thing of beauty and I have complete confidence it will shoot as good or better than all of ATRSs' builds. Even the base model at 3100 is vastly superior to its competitors, but it has options for more

CGN Regular
    I'd like to consider this as more of a Ferrari than a Cadillac. Cadillacs are just Chevys with nicer paint. Having seen some parts up close, these are at the top of the food chain and i don't know if there is anything that could be done to make them any better if fully optioned.
    Recievers looked amazing and i cannot wait to hold a complete rifle and then get my own

CGN Ultra frequent flyer H Wally's Avatar
    I know this is incredibly needy, but for decision making purposes would it be possible to get a very approximate breakdown on profile and length in weight on the SS and Carbon Fiber barrels? Since this is non-restricted it'll be replacing a couple other guns as bush guns, and stuff gets heavy in the mountains.

I know you're quite busy so no worries if it's not convenient, but I think it would help a lot of people figure out what exactly they're hoping for and going to get.

IE:

Basic upper/lower receiver weight with standard internals - _____lbs

Stainless steel barrel, Light Profile
    18.6 inches - _____lbs
    20 Inches - _____lbs
    22 inches- ______lbs

Stainless steel barrel, Medium Profile
    18.6 inches - _____lbs
    20 Inches - _____lbs
    22 inches- ______lbs

Stainless steel barrel, Heavy Profile
    18.6 inches - _____lbs
    20 Inches - _____lbs
    22 inches- ______lbs

Carbon Fiber etc etc etc

Obviously stock, grip, guards, mounts etc all weigh something, but a big unknown variable to me is the difference in weights between the different barrel profiles and lengths. I remember reading that CF wrapped barrels are 40% lighter? I could be wrong on that. I could probably find a weight somewhere in this thread and break it down to a by-the-inch weight and then calculate it out, but I figure it might be easier asking the guy with a stack of them

CGN Regular
    I was in store and was leaning heavily towards a medium or heavy contour until I held a bolt gun with both a heavy and a carbon barrel. I didn't want to spend the extra on the carbon barrel originally, but the carbon barrel got circled yes. It was night and day difference.
    If you can feel the difference first hand and can afford the extra 750$ the decision will be made for you.
    I wasn't planning on going lightweight on this, but other than the buttstock it's as light as possible. Keep in mind that the carbon barrels only come in a single contour which o would guess to mimic a heavy contour. And they just look badass

CGN Regular
    Did the exact same thing purplezuk, it's quite compelling isn't it! I had to just say screw it and get it the way I want it, damn the costs and suffer for it later lol.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunM View Post
    Did the exact same thing purplezuk, it's quite compelling isn't it! I had to just say screw it and get it the way I want it, damn the costs and suffer for it later lol.
    Yup, the weight sells the barrel.... and since the barrel is carbon fiber, it only makes sense that that handguard is carbon fiber too. Might have to get the prs stock dipped in a carbon fiber pattern. I'd like to know how many of the 75 are going with carbon barrels and carbon handguard.

CGN Regular
    I'm sure if everyone who did the preorder was able to handle the barrels and compare the weight I'd bet 75 percent would have carbon barrels. Of those half would have the matching handguard. If I could get a carbon keymod I'd be all over that.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Google is your friend.

Lancer system stock for ar-15/308 99/130$
    Last edited by rally guy; 09-07-2014 at 05:42 PM.