In Canada Territorial Waters, Is it legal to shoot clay targets from a Boat

Thread: In Canada Territorial Waters, Is it legal to shoot clay targets from a Boat

Tags: None

Brassman66 said:

In Canada Territorial Waters, Is it legal to shoot clay targets from a Boat

Hi there,
    I own a Sailboat and Sail it mostly in the inside Waters (Canadian jurisdiction). Would be nice being able entertaining the Guests shooting Clay Targets from the Boat while underway in the Strait of Georgia ect.

What are the legalities besides having a PAL.

No, not interested in hunting and yes the Boat is big enough and can be put on Autopilot while shooting from the afterdeck.

Thanks in advance for all constructive answers.

4n2t0 said:
    Search for "boat shoot".
    Last edited by 4n2t0; 08-25-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Brassman66 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
    Search for "boat shoot".

I tried what you suggested but nothing comes up.

Thanks----K.

FLHTCUI said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassman66 View Post
    Hi there,
    I own a Sailboat and Sail it mostly in the inside Waters (Canadian jurisdiction). Would be nice being able entertaining the Guests shooting Clay Targets from the Boat while underway in the Strait of Georgia ect.

What are the legalities besides having a PAL.

No, not interested in hunting and yes the Boat is big enough and can be put on Autopilot while shooting from the afterdeck.

Thanks in advance for all constructive answers.
    Who will be monitoring the auto pilot while navigating the Straight of Georgia?
    Not to mention the many Federal Marine Parks around the waters you mention.
    Those areas are no use of lead for anything like fishing...so lead shot is NFG too.
    Last edited by FLHTCUI; 08-31-2014 at 12:28 PM.
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

5. Person NotWanted said:
    Quite possibly no, as it is a vehicle and no loaded firearms are permitted in vehicles nor is shooting from them permitted (to my comprehension of Canadian law). I wouldn't quite know who to ask, perhaps someone who handles that sort of thing for cruse ships, there may be a minimum size requirement for the boat. And if allowed, for safety sake use shot or friable non-ricochet bullets as water is an extreme ricochet hazard.

CV32 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Person NotWanted View Post
    Quite possibly no, as it is a vehicle and no loaded firearms are permitted in vehicles nor is shooting from them permitted (to my comprehension of Canadian law).
    This isn't entirely accurate, but the exceptions are beyond what the OP is asking about.
    "There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, prejudices. To be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill, and suspicion can destroy, and the frightened, thoughtless search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own ..." - The Twilight Zone

4n2t0 said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Brassman66 View Post
    I tried what you suggested but nothing comes up.

Thanks----K.
    That's weird, this is what I get.

Maximum said:
    You may have to be at anchor. The rules about boats changed if they are anchored, for instance drinking on a boat.

9. theDuck said:
    I think you folks are getting things mixed with provincial hunting regs or waterfowl regs.

sunborn said:
    Quote Originally Posted by theDuck View Post
    I think you folks are getting things mixed with provincial hunting regs or waterfowl regs.
    I think so too. Hunting (or fishing) is a provincial matter. However, waterways (and firearms) are a federal responsibility. Federal laws should apply.
    Errors and Omissions Excluded

I am not a lawyer, the above does not constitute legal advice.