Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Canada Territorial Waters, Is it legal to shoot clay targets from a Boat

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Pure Energy's Avatar
    Not sure how that works. There are so many issues to contend with. I know while duck hunting you cannot shoot from a moving boat and you have to use steel shot. Yet on our island, which is on the same lake, we can shoot trap off our shore and use lead. I think you need to look into the firearms act side of things, not hunting.

On a side note, not really related to this, my uncle was once charged by the MNR for shooting from a moving vehicle. What happened was that he shot a duck, left his blind to retrieve it, but it was still alive. He shot it again while his hunting partner was driving the boat and the MNR saw this and charged him. He took it to court and won. His argument was that he was "making every reasonable effort to retrieve downed game." Which he was and the court accepted that since a lot of duck hunters know that a wounded duck will dive under water to try and stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Proutfoo
    having your picture in the paper with a medal around your neck holding a folding stock, pistol-gripped, shotgun with mag extension is a feat in itself

BANNED
    No loaded firearms in any motorized vehicle by Federal law. I think it's a Transport Canada jurisdiction. Nothing to do with hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by sunborn View Post
    I think so too. Hunting (or fishing) is a provincial matter. However, waterways (and firearms) are a federal responsibility. Federal laws should apply.
    The Federal regulations on handling firearms specifically state that Provincial laws also apply.

From the Federal Regulations

15. An individual may load a firearm or handle a loaded firearm only in a place where the firearm may be discharged in accordance with all applicable Acts of Parliament and of the legislature of a province, regulations made under such Acts, and municipal by-laws.
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../FullText.html

The fact that you may not being hunting or fishing doesn't matter.
    "Silence is the virtue of those who are not wise."

My comments are simply my opinions and observations. I am not a lawyer, and any legal references in my comments should not be considered legal advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12