Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: WWII Springfield M1 Garand Recievers

I'm new to Garands and am curious what makes these receivers worth 400%+ more than the Breda and Beretta versions?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schmidt64 View Post
    I'm new to Garands and am curious what makes these receivers worth 400%+ more than the Breda and Beretta versions?
    One is a WW2 Springfield made in the US.

One is a post WW2 Breda/Beretta made in Italy.

One is in higher demand. One isn't.
    Last edited by fenceline; 08-27-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post

One is a post WW2 Breda/Beretta made in the US.

Easy enough, thanks!

I would buy the Italian receiver, it's not as hard to as you may think to get matching parts if you take your time. I have an all PB build from butt plate to front sight, with a Danish VAR barrel, FKF Bayonet complete with FKF scabbard and FKF sling to match the FKF markings on the receiver. Only thing that wont be PB/FKF is the stock, most likely Boyds. Can't wait for it to be done!!

I will admit a WWII receiver would be F'n supreme, but its hard to argue with $50 for basically a Winchester receiver. In the USA I have seen PB/BMB receivers go for $400-500. And at the end of the day sends 30-06 down range. Love M1 Garands, congrats to the ones who picked up a Springfield! Enjoy the hunt and build!!!!

I'm so cheesed, I left work, they weren't on the site got home and they were gone :'(

Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post

One is a post WW2 Breda/Beretta made in the US.

You've got a slight error there. The Breda/Beretta receivers were made in Italy, by skilled Italian craftsmen, not in the USA. They have the Danish crown stamp on the heel, as they were made in Italy for the Danes, as NATO partners by then. The quality on them is no less than the USGI originals, and some say a bit better, however I've yet to finish my own Italian build and have not seen a USGI receiver close up enough to make a comment on that comparison. I wouldn't claim that myself without a good side-by-side examination, so its an unsubstantiated claim to me. What makes the Springfields worth so much more? Good question, but I'd have to say like most of the real USGI SA, IHC or WRA marked spare parts, it's the vanity value, for the purist collectors. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, if that's your bag, that's fine. I just wanted a quality shooter. It's a Franken-Garand anyway. Just sayin' how it is: supply and demand for a perceived status symbol rifle part. Like the other gent said, they all go bang and deliver a slug out the end of the barrel just fine. ;-)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Monty457 View Post
    You've got a slight error there. The Breda/Beretta receivers were made in Italy, by skilled Italian craftsmen, not in the USA. They have the Danish crown stamp on the heel, as they were made in Italy for the Danes, as NATO partners by then. The quality on them is no less than the USGI originals, and some say a bit better, however I've yet to finish my own Italian build and have not seen a USGI receiver close up enough to make a comment on that comparison. I wouldn't claim that myself without a good side-by-side examination, so its an unsubstantiated claim to me. What makes the Springfields worth so much more? Good question, but I'd have to say like most of the real USGI SA, IHC or WRA marked spare parts, it's the vanity value, for the purist collectors. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, if that's your bag, that's fine. I just wanted a quality shooter. It's a Franken-Garand anyway. Just sayin' how it is: supply and demand for a perceived status symbol rifle part. Like the other gent said, they all go bang and deliver a slug out the end of the barrel just fine. ;-)
    It was a typo I've fixed. I have a Breda, and the Springfield is on the way. I'm sure there won't be any difference, other than markings and when it was born. But you hit my point on the head. The demand is that it is a WW2 Sprinfield, not that it does something different than any other Garand.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

i got home late and missed out also, dammit.

CGN frequent flyer FirearmsEnthusiast's Avatar
    I was at SFRC this morning and saw these beauties....they may have had one order cancel so re-check the website. If I didn't already have too many other build projects going on...

I missed out on these receivers as well. I was at work all night and checked at lunch and they were all gone. If I was just on day shift this week. I think I will pick up an Italian made receiver to start an M1 build.