Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JR accepts the Ice Bucket Challenge

CGN Ultra frequent flyer critter928's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
    It upsets me to see all the celebs on social media that are getting drenched and (I assume) do not make a donation.

JR, you're a celeb of sorts - and I wanna say "Atta boy!" for stepping up and making the donation.
    Even better, you still got wet in an effort to increase public awareness via the stunt/prank of it all.
    Exactly.

Who would have watched a video of him signing a check or donating online?

The videos made us pay attention to the topic and then allowed him to publicly challenge others.

His donation above and beyond the going rate was icing on the cake.

BZ JR
    "For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise." - Benjamin Franklin

$1000 is very generous most people do $20

BANNED
    Just out of curiosity is everybody in on next weeks mud bucket for MS or do all the other charity organizations get screwed now cause everybody already jumped on the feel good bandwagon?

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_juiced_coupe View Post
    The whole point of the ice bucket challenge is drench cheap people in ice water. If your donating, you don't have to drench yourself. Kinda eliminates the whole point of the cause if your doing both. I find that weird.

Good on them for donating though. ALS Is a terrible thing to go through.
    I think you're missing the point. The whole video-yourself-freaking-out-with-a-bucket-of-ice-dumped-on-your-head-for-laughs AND then challenging 3 of your friends to do it as well is a gimmick to create awareness and create an exponential growth factor. That's why it has gone so viral. Awareness is the main thing... how many people that chose 'the bucket', do you think ALSO donated? Or had a non-bucket-choosing friend or family member donate?

That is the point.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms359 View Post
    Just out of curiosity is everybody in on next weeks mud bucket for MS or do all the other charity organizations get screwed now cause everybody already jumped on the feel good bandwagon?
    That's been brought up in the media. But hey... what are you gonna do? Every charity is trying to find a gimmick. Some work better than others. Next month or next year, there will be another viral gimmick for cancer or aids or AG or... one of them...

As it is, some of the money going to ALS can also provide concurrent benefits to other charities as well...

Quote Originally Posted by lil_juiced_coupe View Post
    so wierd. I thought you either did one or the other
    people who do the challenge but don't donate aren't helping at all.. everyone should do both..

it's usually $10 if you do it, $100 if you back out.. but you can donate anything you want..
    Member of CSSA
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana
    TAP, RACK, BANG

I believe that the most interesting one of these video's was that of Patrick Stewart, his video is completely quiet except for the sound when he plops two ice cubes into a glass that he pours what I assume is an excellent scotch into, after writing a cheque for an undisclosed amount.

Scott
    "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet again"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12