Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dominion Arms 1887 Lever Action Shotgun

CGN Regular

Dominion Arms 1887 Lever Action Shotgun

I just got my new toy this afternoon!

It came very *very* greasy, as all Norinco/Dominion Arms seem to come. No problem; I was able to get intimately familiar with the gun as I of course had to take it right down.

Anyway, I encountered a couple bugs that I thought would be good to document and let you all know how I dealt with them.

1: The action was incredibly hard to open at first. I think I've figured out that it was the mating surfaces at the back of the action that act as the locking lug. When the action was closed and then pressed firmly even more closed, those surfaces liked to stick together. The solution was either wear it down by use, or sand down the surfaces. I'm just wearing it down, and it's getting better every time.

2: The left extractor has a little piece of metal beside it that adjusts how much play is in the ejector. Either don't mess with it, or make sure you *really* tighten it down when you're done with it (and don't oil the screw/mating surface!). When that extractor gets all floppy, it just will not extract at all.

Taking it down completed, including removing the firing pin, was a good idea, IMO. The cosmoline stuff was everywhere. I even took off the lever handle to clean out the spring pocket to give it nice free movement.

Now that I've got it all cleaned and set back up, it seems to be running pretty reliably, no real problems with ejection as noted by some others; you gotta give that lever some power!

All this said, I've not fired it yet, but I'm pretty happy with it, and the action should just keep getting smoother!

EDIT: That darn extractor adjuster. It came loose again, and I'm trying blue loctite right now and I'll see how that holds!

I got a case of slugs with it, but hey CanAmmo, got any plans for carrying cases of target load 7.5/8 birdshot? I'm not sure if it's any cheaper from China, but even standard domestic bulk stuff would be awesome at like $60-70/case or whatever you could do.
    Last edited by drumstyx; 09-03-2014 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drumstyx View Post
    I just got my new toy this afternoon!
    Now that I've got it all cleaned and set back up, it seems to be running pretty reliably, no real problems with ejection as noted by some others; you gotta give that lever some power!
    I got a case of slugs with it, but hey CanAmmo, got any plans for carrying cases of target load 7.5/8 birdshot? I'm not sure if it's any cheaper from China, but even standard domestic bulk stuff would be awesome at like $60-70/case or whatever you could do.
    First and foremost congrats on the new toy... but where are the pictures?!?
    Second CanAm said that bird shot is made so plentiful in North America that prices overseas aren't anything cheaper and there isn't much room for profit on the local made stuff

CGN Regular
    Pics are coming; I want to do a full review of this thing. The Chinese guns are a favourite of mine (and why not, they're cheap!) and I figure if I can do some tests, I can work out more bugs and publish workarounds for everyone else

Testing at the range this weekend probably!

As for birdshot, I'm not surprised it's not cost effective to bring it in from China, but damn, it's not even easy to find locally for great prices. The best I've seen is $70 for 250 at cabelas, which is good, but...that's in Barrie, and I'm not even sure if they'd have it in stock.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    What would people consider a good deal on bird shot?

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    What would people consider a good deal on bird shot?
    $65.00 or less, for 250 #7.5 or 8.
    "Neil, if you had any guts you'd yell 'Oh my God, what is that thing?!', scream, and then cut your mic." :

- Michael Collins on the first words to be spoken on the Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Doc911 View Post
    $65.00 or less, for 250 #7.5 or 8.
    Yes, about what I figured. Those size shotshells run about USD$55 FOB

Yes, about what I figured. Those size shotshells run about USD$55 FOB
    If that's the price you could sell them for and still keep the lights on and employees payed I'd buy 2 flats for sure for trap shooting

Quote Originally Posted by DiMP View Post
    If that's the price you could sell them for and still keep the lights on and employees payed I'd buy 2 flats for sure for trap shooting
    That is our cost FOB Europe in US Dollars. We'd be paying you to buy them.

That is our cost FOB Europe in US Dollars. We'd be paying you to buy them.
    I just looked up FOB on google... now I understand lol

CGN Regular
    Well all that said, I don't think anyone would have complaints about market-rate stuff. Being my favourite retailer here, $70 at cabelas vs even $75 at CanadaAmmo, you guys win out! (Well let's be honest, I'd pile on other stuff to get free shipping)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast