Thread: Newbie question about M305 ammo...7.62 or .308

Newbie question about M305 ammo...7.62 or .308

Hi there all...

First off my name is Mike and I'm just getting back into the gun thing after many years of being away..I grew up on a farm and always had rifles hanging in the back window of our pickups...moved to the city and had no need for em....but now I'm back.

I bought myself a brand new M305 a few months back and have been purchasing some upgrades for it and I thought that it would be nice to take the rifle out to see how it shoots before I change out the stock etc..

Here is my question to you all..I ve read so much info of these guns that my eye balls are gonna bleed...but I cannot find a definitive answer to the ammo question...do I have to use 7.62 Nato in this or is it safe to fire .308 ammo in it..

I want to buy in bulk and I see on some sites that you can buy Norinco .308W....is this meant for these rifles(M305)?
    It seems easier to find than the 7.62 Nato stuff but I dont wann blow my face off any time soon so tell me what you guys are running thru yours and if its working for you..

Im not lookng to start a bunch of debates on this post...I've read soo many of those already...just wanna know what you have fired thru yours andif you will continue using it in the future.

Thanks in advance for your time..youall have an awesome information source here and I have spent many, many hours getting toknow my guns because of all the info you have shared...keep up the good work

Mike

BANNED
    308 will work fine.....if you are buying factory made ammo the Federal powershock 150 grain ...comes in a blue box works very good

I have shot both through my M305 with no issues at all. I thought I read that some are stamped .308 and some are stamped 7.62 depending on who imported them.
    Buy em cheap, stack em deep!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer canucklehead's Avatar
    .308 or 7.62x51?

The answer is: YES!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    yup..... yer good to go with both

the only caveat being..... I absolutely recommend guys stay away from MFS and American Eagle ammunition
    as chalkriver mentioned, Federal 150gr power shok has been very reliable in any Chinese M305 rifle I have shot it in and was the ONLY ammo I would use for test firing customers builds (both Chinese and American made rifles) , partly for liability reasons but mostly because the rifles shoot if reliably and reasonably accurate.
    the norinco ammunition is also widely used in these rifles.
    most of these rifles have 7.62 nato headspace or in that ballpark but still very safe for .308 win factory ammo
    enjoy the rifle and welcome back to the shooting community

thanks to all for your advice...feel much more comfortable now heading to the range..peace of mind is muchly appreciated!!

Can you please explain the issue or problem with using MF or American Eagle 7.62 in the M305. Thanks.

Read the barrel stamp it'll tell you all you need to know.