Thread: Buying restricted rifle on EE and shipping directly to gunsmith for NR conversion

Buying restricted rifle on EE and shipping directly to gunsmith for NR conversion

Hey there, I would eventually want to purchase a stock (16.5" barrel, so restriced) Bushmaster ACR on the EE if I find one that is priced right. I currently have my RPAL but do not have a club membership yet.

First, do you think it would be possible/legal to make the purchase, then ask the seller to ship directly to, let's say, Dlask or Herron Arms (would save on shipping)? Second condition would be: without having my club membership? Theoretically, I would be the owner of the firearm, but the gunsmith would come into possession of that restricted and then change the barrel to a 18.5" one and de-register the firearm (becomes NR). Hence, I would temporarily become the owner of a restricted firearm without having it in my possession, and then would receive it as NR...would everything be kosher here? I have a feeling that the answer would be "NO", but I'd figured I'd just ask lol!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sulisa's Avatar
    As far as CFO goes, once the transfer is done, it'll be in your name. Seller gets an ATT to take it to the post office, to ship to wherever (in this case a gunsmith that you've lined up beforehand). That's it, until after the work (and gunsmith/verifier will have to contact CFP to change it to non-restricted), when it arrives at your door.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    The way I see it, if you want to avoid the extra cost of a range membership, you could purchase the rifle with out getting the transfer started until after the seller has shipped it to the gun smith and wark has been completed and verified. Then it would become deregistered and the gunsmith could ship to you direct. Less paper work for all involved.

Also would not show on the registry data your name as the last person to own that ACR.
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

BANNED
    The Surete de Quebec(that even close?)will likely deny the transfer without a club membership, unless you buy it as a collector. You need to find a club that allows restricted rifles.
    You need to find out if an ACR is considered to be a variant of the Bushmaster Auto Rifle t. If it is, it's restricted by name, not barrel length. http://firearms-safety-course.com/in...d=17&Itemid=23

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    The Surete de Quebec(that even close?)will likely deny the transfer without a club membership, unless you buy it as a collector. You need to find a club that allows restricted rifles.
    You need to find out if an ACR is considered to be a variant of the Bushmaster Auto Rifle t. If it is, it's restricted by name, not barrel length. http://firearms-safety-course.com/in...d=17&Itemid=23
    Sunray, how do you have 21,000 posts and not know that an ACR can be made NR with an 18.5" barrel?
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    The way I see it, if you want to avoid the extra cost of a range membership, you could purchase the rifle with out getting the transfer started until after the seller has shipped it to the gun smith and wark has been completed and verified. Then it would become deregistered and the gunsmith could ship to you direct. Less paper work for all involved.

Also would not show on the registry data your name as the last person to own that ACR.
    Actually, this makes a lot of sense. As long as the seller is willing to go that way!

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Sunray, how do you have 21,000 posts and not know that an ACR can be made NR with an 18.5" barrel?
    ^^^^ This...!