Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing between one of them ARs

Metro Vancouver - if you use EE at least leave your province here!

Question Choosing between one of them ARs

Never own a AR before, probably because us up here need more paperworks to get an AR than a SKS or M14. Oh, and we can not carry them into the bushes.

I figure if I want to get one, Norcs are most likely a good place to start, and this *local store* is the place to find one, so here I am.

There are two of these, and one of them is not shown by choosing caliber for some reason.

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/dominion-arms-cq-556-rifle/

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/dominion-arms-cq-a-rifle/

What set these two apart? Design, function, finish, year of manufacture, etc. I'm a complete rookie to the AR/M16/C7... world, so I guess pretty much any info would help. From the pages I can only tell that one of them is longer(better accuracy?), one of them has fixed carry handle and stock, and one of them has 2 twist rates o choose from.

Which one did you guys choose here, and why? As of how I use it, we can only shoot it in a range, so weight does not matter. While I'll add some accessories to improve accuracy, I normally don't turn my rifles into tactical xmas trees:D

Happy shooting guys!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    If you're going to change anything on it, the fixed carry handle is going to limit you. I have the da556 and I am content with my purchase. Even if the colt was on sale when I was buying I would not have dropped some $1200 on a first AR...

CGN frequent flyer Moparman1303's Avatar
    One has a quad rail and one is basic heat shield. Both are same and work well.

I have Norc 1911s and it doesn't stop me from getting Colt and S&W 1911s, and I'm not selling the Norcs away after getting the fancier ones either. Same goes with my M14s... no wait, the U.S. M14s are overpriced comparatively so being cheap, I only have Chi-com ones, LOL. Thought about the Irun}%^ Colt AR too, but let's not discuss those in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparman1303 View Post
    One has a quad rail and one is basic heat shield. Both are same and work well.
    Which one has rail? You mean the *C8* got a quad rail, like under the heat shield?

CGN frequent flyer midnightpossum's Avatar
    Basically it's between a 20" barrel and a 14.5" barrel… If I had to choose it would be a 16" barrel !!!…. if you are shooting past 100m and beyond.. go 20".. if 100m and less go 14.5"… just my 2 cents.

I don't see a twist rate on the 14.5"…. go 1/9 twist..
    No retreat,No surrender

Quote Originally Posted by leosnipes View Post
    What set these two apart? Design, function, finish, year of manufacture, etc. I'm a complete rookie to the AR/M16/C7... world, so I guess pretty much any info would help. From the pages I can only tell that one of them is longer(better accuracy?), one of them has fixed carry handle and stock, and one of them has 2 twist rates o choose from.

Which one did you guys choose here, and why? As of how I use it, we can only shoot it in a range, so weight does not matter. While I'll add some accessories to improve accuracy, I normally don't turn my rifles into tactical xmas trees:D
    If you're completely new to the AR game you should probably start with the 14.5" carbine. It's the modern design with a removable carry handle so that you will be able to mount optics. The 20" rifle that you linked is the same quality but for people who like the retro design with a fixed carry handle.

Depends on what style of shooting you want, maybe you wan't more close range action shooting 14.5 - or 20 DRM dedicated marksman for longer shots? My AR's are 16.5 and 14.5, much more manoeuvrable and lighter, better balance.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

DPMS Oracle. For $600 ( after rebate) you get a solid AR that is ripe for accessories. Apples to Apples I compared my DPMS to my friends Marstar Norinco, finish is miles better on the DPMS. Norc's bolt carrier looks like it got chewed on. They both put holes in the targets when I pulled the trigger, and that's really what you pay for at this price point. I'm glad I made the purchase I did and I would definitely recommend checking out the Oracle.
    "There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at."

The 14.5" is your best option. The real military M4 carbines have 14.5 barrels. The Norinco/Dominion Arms is very high quality. It may not have the nicest finish, but it has ambi firing controls and a detachable carry handle with a flat top beneath, overall the best deal in Canada.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast