Thread: Help with some Project gun Ideas

Expired Business Member

Help with some Project gun Ideas

While we generally don't refinish restricted firearms for customers, we do like to take beaten up shotguns and rifles and clean them up to showcase just what a person can do with a can of Duracoat and some elbow grease. Ive been looking for a beat up AR lower for some time; something of decent quality that I wouldn't feel guilty about refinishing.

Well, I tried the EE, I tried emailing importers of East Block rifles and pistols to get the beat up guns that they cant sell...no bites. But then there's always that crazy guy at SFRC with his insane sales. I got a few of his blemished Canadian lowers for a whopping $65 each ($80 with taxes and shipping). That's just crazy, and they're actually really nice, but I can see why some people are afraid to buy them because there are dings and chatter marks all over the place...a poorly engraved logo that looks nothing like the manufactures cool Canadian flag logo...but what a better starting point for a complete rebuild? but with a shop FULL of AR parts and goodies-- I just cant make up my mind how to start this next build.

I Was thinking of an Arctic Themed AR, but cant decide on a 12" barrel a 16" with a FSB, a 16" stainless barrel or a full blown stainless fluted 24" tack driver??

I also took advantage of a interesting armourers gun he had on sale. A .40 Sig 226 DAK that had been taken apart 10-20 times in an armourers course, but has a really low round count, no holster wear, but plenty of scratches here and there that makes me feel ok about stuffing it into a sandblaster.... with taxes and shipping it came out to $600 for a 226 with night sights. Where can you find a Sig for a hundred bucks more than a Norinco? Only at SFRC! I'll definately be converting it to a DA/SA but cant make up my mind on a new paint scheme...
    ...maybe just a hi strength Durabake Ceramic FDE?

Im open to suggestions, ideas. As each project progresses I will do a step by step picture guide showing off the new armourer tools we're bringing in as well as showing just how easy it is for a person to duracoat their own gun.

Rich

For the Arctic themed AR, I would go with the long barrel. No cover in the Arctic, so CQB is out of the question.

I would also suggest light gray instead of black as the contrasting colour.
    Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
    - Seneca the Younger

Wait until you see the new forged lowers....they are on the 7.62x39 guns that we just started shipping. Send me some pics of the finished products.

Ryan
    Last edited by Chemist; 09-13-2014 at 09:04 PM.

Expired Business Member
    I figured there must be a new and improved lower on the way! These are nice, but with a few tweaks they'll be great!

Oh! Make the P226 arctic themed as well as the AR! Definitely go with the longer barrel for the AR.
    If your only political involvement is voting, you don't actually care. Move aside and let the people be heard.

Get involved in your community!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer SteelCap's Avatar
    The arctic theme definitely. It departs from the usual seen around here. Also, good find on that Sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Kveldulf View Post
    For the Arctic themed AR, I would go with the long barrel. No cover in the Arctic, so CQB is out of the question.

I would also suggest light gray instead of black as the contrasting colour.
    great suggestion. that would look great.
    All items shipped by canada post expedited with tracking and $100 insurance included.
    Insurance above $100 coverage is on the buyer.
    I'll need to see your PAL for firearms,ammo.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .30/06 FTW's Avatar
    I would love an Arctic themed AR. The only problem I can see though is trying to find a good sling to match it.
    "Instead of 'sewer,' I propose 'Trudeau.' Both terms describe massive deposits of human filth, and no person who knows what these terms describe would ever want to live under either one." ~Doc M
    Quote Originally Posted by cobalt545
    I just took an assault poop as well. I know it was an assault poop because I "sprayed from the hip".

For an Arctic themed AR I would want long range with a matte finish, Nothing too shiny. If you're going to redo the Sig why not try a two tone? I've seen suggested that you keep it with the Arctic theme so you could do white and the same secondary colour you use on the rifle. Make them a pair.

Expired Business Member
    Interesting ideas on the arctic sig and AR group...maybe Ill do an 870 too ?, for those winter 3 gun matches !

Quote Originally Posted by .30/06 FTW View Post
    I would love an Arctic themed AR. The only problem I can see though is trying to find a good sling to match it.
    Maybe a Grey Magpul MS4 Sling?