Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Shooter Question - S&W 9mm MP9

I recommend you blast away with whatever is the cheapest. After a thousand rounds or so, you should be used to it and it should be broken in. I wouldn't mess with the trigger. Get used to the factory trigger. If you can master that, then you won't need to "upgrade" it.

The bottom line is.....Have Fun!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    The M&P trigger SUCKS, but is easily fixed with an Apex kit. It is $ well spent...

As for your trigger. There is a nice write up online on how to do a trigger job on a M&P.
    http://www.burwellguns.com/misc/M&Ptriggerjob.pdf
    I cleaned up my trigger and brought it down to 3.5lbs. Its a great way to get to know your gun.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Phat Eagle;10476928]http://customreloadingservice.com

They're a site sponsor! and reload prices are great. Don't know about shipping, as I'm local to them.[/QUOTE

^^^^yeah! These guys! Thanks Phat Eagle! Did not know they were a sponsor! My bad! The prices for 9, .40 and .45 are rediculously low! Almost not worth doing your own reloading!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I will keep shooting and look into the reloads/bulk supply a little more.

CGN frequent flyer
    For the ammo, anything cheap and good quality factory load would be fine, EXCEPT steel case or steel core because some of the clubs don't allow them. Make sure you check with your club if you really want to use steel

Quote Originally Posted by outflanked View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to the sport, and I would appreciate a few recommendations please:

1) For 9mm Luger ammo, what grain should I be using for basic pistol range shooting? 115? 127?

2) Best place in Southern Ontario to buy 9mm ammo? Should I buy in bulk? Can I order online?

3) Recommendation for a good reload place?

4) After marker trigger assembly for Smith & Wesson (9mm) MP9 - every seasoned shooter that shoots my pistol says I need a lighter trigger. Any recommendations on what I should order?

*J

CGN frequent flyer
    And for the trigger, I know some people will call me nuts, but I would recommend for beginner to keep the original at first because even though it may not be as nice as apex, it allows you to learn to adapt any weapon you may have to pick up down the road, also over time, the trigger may smooth out to your liking.
    Also for newbies, I think it's too risky to reduce the trigger pull down below 4lbs.
    After 1-2000 rounds, you should have a good feel about what you like/need, only then knock yourself out for anything you want to do with the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by outflanked View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to the sport, and I would appreciate a few recommendations please:

1) For 9mm Luger ammo, what grain should I be using for basic pistol range shooting? 115? 127?

2) Best place in Southern Ontario to buy 9mm ammo? Should I buy in bulk? Can I order online?

3) Recommendation for a good reload place?

4) After marker trigger assembly for Smith & Wesson (9mm) MP9 - every seasoned shooter that shoots my pistol says I need a lighter trigger. Any recommendations on what I should order?

*J

BANNED
    All new firearms require a trigger job due to frivolous U.S. law suits. This doesn't necessarily mean a new trigger. Just changing the springs will help. Wolf Springs, Stateside(bit of a nuisance, but doable.), carries M&P 4 pound(factory is 5 lbs.) striker springs.
    Add the W's. .gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SMITH%20%26%20WESSON/M%26P%20SERIES%20-%209mm,%20%20.40/.357%20/cID1/mID58/dID262
    You really should try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your pistol a shoots best. Or get into reloading your self.
    Buying ammo on-line gets expensive quickly and any cost savings will be negated by shipping costs. Shipping costs are not set by the seller. They're set by the carrier with lots of government interference.

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    All new firearms require a trigger job due to frivolous U.S. law suits. This doesn't necessarily mean a new trigger. Just changing the springs will help. Wolf Springs, Stateside(bit of a nuisance, but doable.), carries M&P 4 pound(factory is 5 lbs.) striker springs.
    Add the W's. .gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%20Pistols/SMITH%20%26%20WESSON/M%26P%20SERIES%20-%209mm,%20%20.40/.357%20/cID1/mID58/dID262
    You really should try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your pistol a shoots best. Or get into reloading your self.
    Buying ammo on-line gets expensive quickly and any cost savings will be negated by shipping costs. Shipping costs are not set by the seller. They're set by the carrier with lots of government interference.
    Huh? Please explain this.

BANNED
    Trigger-schmigger. Get used to it. That's all I did, and now I actually like it. Rear sight adjustment is a bit roughshod and a tad difficult to do at the range, but it can be done.

Cannon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12