Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead Round Ball

Lead Round Ball

Good afternoon. I bought, and have thoroughly enjoyed, my Pietta 1851 Navy black powder revolver from you guys. I've enjoyed it so much so I've run out of the .36 cal roundball that it takes. Currently it is out of stock, but is it an item with frequent delivery or less often? Next time I'll buy more than one box at a time (stupid me lol)

Thanks

Maybe John (1 or 2) will surf the forums tomorrow?
    I don't want to phone them and bother them for such a question

Expired Business
    Quote Originally Posted by DiMP View Post
    Maybe John (1 or 2) will surf the forums tomorrow?
    I don't want to phone them and bother them for such a question
    Never a bother, please see here >>>> They are in stock
    John

CGN Regular
    Last edited by IrishCrow; 09-17-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    Never a bother, please see here >>>> They are in stock
    John
    Thanks John! I had just got the product back-in-stock e-mail. Time to put a couple on order :-)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Can you guys get .457 round balls?
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Noticing on your web page that the lead ball size recommended (per Pietta's manual) for the two most popular calibers, .36 and .44, are .375" and .454" respectively.
    However, the chart for item FMB-044 calls it ".45 Round Lead" . I just want to make sure that this is indeed the correct size ball to get for either the Pietta Colt or the Pietta Remington .44 cal BP revolvers? (since there are 3 different diameter sizes listed for .44 cal on that chart)
    Please advise this black powder newbie.

Also, that size, .454" dia is currently out of stock. Seeing as this is one of, if not THE most popular caliber for these revolvers, roughly when are you getting more of this item (FMB-044) back in stock?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Monty457 View Post
    Noticing on your web page that the lead ball size recommended (per Pietta's manual) for the two most popular calibers, .36 and .44, are .375" and .454" respectively.
    I shoot a .375" from my .36 cal very nicely. By having a ball 150th of an inch bigger it actually "shaves" a small ring of lead off the ball when you press it in ensuring a very snug fit, no wading required

Quote Originally Posted by DiMP View Post
    I shoot a .375" from my .36 cal very nicely. By having a ball 150th of an inch bigger it actually "shaves" a small ring of lead off the ball when you press it in ensuring a very snug fit, no wading required
    Somebody at Epps last week tried telling me that you ought to use a smaller ball than the bore, to account for the thickness of the patch. I now see that they should get someone else to advise on buying BP loading supplies. Were they confusing this with what you might shoot in a muzzle-loading rifle perhaps, as opposed to the size of ball you need for these revolvers? I will get the .375" dia balls for my .36 as there seems to be enough people as well as the Pietta manual recommending that. I'll stick to their recommendation for .454" dia balls for the .44 as well I guess.

There's no info whatsoever in the Pietta manual about what you put between the ball and the powder in a BP revolver.
    I'll trip on over to the BP forums to see what info I can dig up. I've read about pre-greased felt wads and such. I know,... I need to do more homework on this.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Monty457 View Post
    Somebody at Epps last week tried telling me that you ought to use a smaller ball than the bore, to account for the thickness of the patch. I now see that they should get someone else to advise on buying BP loading supplies. Were they confusing this with what you might shoot in a muzzle-loading rifle perhaps, as opposed to the size of ball you need for these revolvers? I will get the .375" dia balls for my .36 as there seems to be enough people as well as the Pietta manual recommending that. I'll stick to their recommendation for .454" dia balls for the .44 as well I guess.

There's no info whatsoever in the Pietta manual about what you put between the ball and the powder in a BP revolver.
    I'll trip on over to the BP forums to see what info I can dig up. I've read about pre-greased felt wads and such. I know,... I need to do more homework on this.
    As suggested by DiMP, most black powder revolver shooters use a ball that measures slightly larger than the actual bore. This swages the ball to fit the actual bore diameter, leaving the tell-tale "ring of lead" behind when the ball is rammed into the cylinder. Very few revolver shooters bother with patches at all in their handguns.

Patches are normally used in black powder rifles where the ball is slightly smaller than the actual bore diameter. The patch itself compensates for the smaller diameter ball, creating a "wad" in the bore that acts as a seal between the powder and the projectile.

The person at Epps who gave you the advice you have noted might have been confusing rifle with handgun loading, but they were not entirely wrong.
    If gun owners in this country were truly a threat, do you really think our politicians would have lasted this long??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast