Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: For all those Marstar haters!

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    Perhaps you would be kind enough to advise of any available software that would allow us to remove "sold out" items but at the same time let the customer know they will be coming and advise those interested automatically when the items arrive ? John
    John, when you have a chance take a look at this demo of a web store software called CScart http://demo.cs-cart.com/
    Just navigate to any section such as electronics / desktop and see all kinds of filters that you can setup on the left to allow the customer narrowing the results. It will give you an idea what its capable of. Disclaimer: I have no vested interest whatsoever in cscart - just a happy user. The soft is relatively inexpensive - about 400 dollars. However, expect to pay additional $3 to $5K to a pro developer to configure and install it on a server plus do the inventory export from your old system.

The new web site would likely address the out of stock issues, allow for notifications, cc payments, return processing etc., provided someone would be made responsible to update it a periodic basis (for even the best systems need responsible people to look after them).
    However, it would be even more important for you to bring new and exciting products. In my opinion Marstar has been resting on its laurels for too long while other vendors have been capturing its market share.
    “If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.” - Mark Twain

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiMP View Post
    I know I have put at least 4 things on my "Wish List" and received e-mail notifications that they were back in stock and ready to purchase. Maybe I just lucked out on the things I chose...?
    Could be. I'm also not looking at common firearms. If it's not in stock I keep looking elsewhere to find the best deal of where it is in stock. It's the specialty stuff that I would look at. I have no interest in a M305 for example or run of the mill SKS. My interest was Yugo M-59 SKS which none came in again and things like the MG34 which again never returned.

One of the best posts I've seen trying to help in a long time: Hopefully this doesn't go with the old cliche, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Quote Originally Posted by edojan View Post
    John, when you have a chance take a look at this demo of a web store software called CScart http://demo.cs-cart.com/
    Just navigate to any section such as electronics / desktop and see all kinds of filters that you can setup on the left to allow the customer narrowing the results. It will give you an idea what its capable of. Disclaimer: I have no vested interest whatsoever in cscart - just a happy user. The soft is relatively inexpensive - about 400 dollars. However, expect to pay additional $3 to $5K to a pro developer to configure and install it on a server plus do the inventory export from your old system.

The new web site would likely address the out of stock issues, allow for notifications, cc payments, return processing etc., provided someone would be made responsible to update it a periodic basis (for even the best systems need responsible people to look after them).
    However, it would be even more important for you to bring new and exciting products. In my opinion Marstar has been resting on its laurels for too long while other vendors have been capturing its market share.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    Perhaps you would be kind enough to advise of any available software that would allow us to remove "sold out" items but at the same time let the customer know they will be coming and advise those interested automatically when the items arrive ? John
    No. That is totally different. If something is TEMPORARILY out of stock, and will be restocked shortly, keep it the way it is.

We're talking about stuff that was sold out YEARS AGO, and will NEVER be restocked. Get it off of your website already.

You really want to open that can of worms, again ?
    John
    Are you trying to make CGNrs scary of you or only me ?
    I bought three hand guns from you . Np 34 was previously used even if was sold as new one . Also was defected and returned back to you . The m93 - second gun from you , was also defected and also returned .
    You sending BS to people hoping that somebody will be either too lazy or have no time to sent it back to you and roughly in 50 % of cases you won . Dont black mail me , John 1st or 2nd , don't black mail me . In your conversation with us you often so rude that I became just wonder about your background . Good luck ,Mr.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum ...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Curtton's Avatar
    i don't get all the whining about sold out .

its not as if you drove over there and found out they are out of stock.

for gods sake , you are ordering online in your comfy home, out of stock ? just press next . its that simply .

btw, i like marstar , i bought some interesting toys off them .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    I don't have any axe to grind and I really don't know much about Marstar but I have to say the tone of some of the posts from this "johnone" might make me think twice about shopping there. He comes across in some of them, whether intentionally or not, as being pretty aggressive and arguementative. I'm fairly new to the shooting sports so maybe this isn't uncommon but it strikes me as a little odd for a retailer.

edit

I should say that maybe he is not like that at all. Internet posts are often poor at conveying accurate tone.

CGN Regular
    Read more of his posts... its pretty clear after a while. My main brain teaser that may never be answered is, was this first thread post a reverse psychology can of worms opener, or a genuine happy customer. Seemed like a rifleshot into a hornets nest.

Well, for all those marstar haters and lovers, here is an account of my first, and only, dealing with Marstar from December 2013. I promised myself I would not post this for months but watching the forums and responses from Marstar since then has prompted me to speak up for all those that have not.

In the first week of December, 2013, I was restoring a 1936 Kar98k with the last two parts required being a band spring and a front barrel band. I was able to locate the band spring on ebay but browsing the CGN EE along with my friends had not turned up an early style "H" barrel band that I wished to have for my Kar98k. Long and behold, Marstar had (and still has) listed the early style barrel band for $22 plus tax and shipping (https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/produ...roductid=83457 here is the exact ad I bought from).

The barrel band does not show any real wear or rust and looks to be in good, usable condition in the picture. No where in the advertisement page is there any mention of current stock being fair or poor condition, neither at the original time of viewing or currently. I made the choice to order from Marstar, being full aware of their "Ironclad Guarantee" that is boasted to be the standard by which other firearm retailers are to be judged.

Knowing that Christmas was right around the corner, I was not expecting a quick response for order processing and shipping. On December 2nd, 2013, I placed my order for the barrel band and on December 9th, I had received e-mail confirmation that my order had been processed and was shipping. At the time, this band was costing my close to $50 when all the costs had been factored in.

On December 13th, I came home from work to see that my package from Marstar had arrived. It came in a brown bubble wrap envelope and inside was a paper copy of the "Ironclad Guarantee" and my barrel band in a plastic bag. Here is the point where I became disappointed but not completely as the barrel band I received was not usable on my rifle (nor dare I would considering it's poor condition). After realizing what I had received, I read over the "Ironclad Guarantee" again and noticed that I would be entitled to either a replacement or a complete refund. I checked the webpage again detailing my upper band that I had ordered and noticed, again, that there was no mention of poor quality bands only in stock and that the image on the website was completely mis-leading to the actual condition. I figured it was due to what was left in the bottom of the inventory box. Thinking about this, I decided a complete refund would be in order as at this time, I had located a very good condition early style "H" band on the CGN EE for half the price.

Here are actual pictures of the Marstar barrel band that I received:

Within an hour of opening my package, I had launched an RMA request, as per Marstar's instructions on their website and paper copy of the "Ironclad Guarantee". Three days later, on December 16th, I had received an e-mail back from the Marstar service department with an RMA number. On December 17th, I wrapped up the barrel band in it's original packaging and sent it back for a complete refund. I waited for any changes and figured nothing would happen with Christmas a week away. By mid January, 2014, I noticed that a credit had been put on my credit card and promptly noticed that it was not for the full amount and that I was charged a 25% restocking fee. I was certainly not pleased as the "Ironclad Guarantee" had failed in what was clearly written in fine print, both on paper and online. By this time, my Kar98k was restored and I wasn't willing to fight for $12 over a re-stocking fee. I did, however, promise myself never to conduct business with Marstar again based on this first time experience. I can say, that if any other business (no matter what they were selling), did something similar that I would not do business with them again either.

As a reference, I have been dealing with Ellwood Epps for close to six years now and the level of service I have received has been outstanding, and at times, above and beyond, considering my business may come as a minor contribution to the bottom line at the end of the year. I have read of other CGNers having the opposite experience with Ellwood epps and swearing by the same code of avoidance that I have come to use with Marstar. As I say, it is just the way the ball rolls down the hill.

I know my experience, once posted, will be torn apart, both by Marstar lovers and possibly Marstar themselves, and I have done my best to present my experience as neutral as possible and I trust this can be acknowledged and respected.
    Last edited by Nabs; 09-19-2014 at 06:46 PM.
    Get Psyched !

Expired Business
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    Well, for all those marstar haters and lovers, here is an account of my first, and only, dealing with Marstar from December 2013. I promised myself I would not post this for months but watching the forums and responses from Marstar since then has prompted me to speak up for all those that have not.

In the first week of December, 2013, I was restoring a 1936 Kar98k with the last two parts required being a band spring and a front barrel band. I was able to locate the band spring on ebay but browsing the CGN EE along with my friends had not turned up an early style "H" barrel band that I wished to have for my Kar98k. Long and behold, Marstar had (and still has) listed the early style barrel band for $22 plus tax and shipping (https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/produ...roductid=83457 here is the exact ad I bought from).

The barrel band does not show any real wear or rust and looks to be in good, usable condition in the picture. No where in the advertisement page is there any mention of current stock being fair or poor condition, neither at the original time of viewing or currently. I made the choice to order from Marstar, being full aware of their "Ironclad Guarantee" that is boasted to be the standard by which other firearm retailers are to be judged.

Knowing that Christmas was right around the corner, I was not expecting a quick response for order processing and shipping. On December 2nd, 2013, I placed my order for the barrel band and on December 9th, I had received e-mail confirmation that my order had been processed and was shipping. At the time, this band was costing my close to $50 when all the costs had been factored in.

On December 13th, I came home from work to see that my package from Marstar had arrived. It came in a brown bubble wrap envelope and inside was a paper copy of the "Ironclad Guarantee" and my barrel band in a plastic bag. Here is the point where I became disappointed but not completely as the barrel band I received was not usable on my rifle (nor dare I would considering it's poor condition). After realizing what I had received, I read over the "Ironclad Guarantee" again and noticed that I would be entitled to either a replacement or a complete refund. I checked the webpage again detailing my upper band that I had ordered and noticed, again, that there was no mention of poor quality bands only in stock and that the image on the website was completely mis-leading to the actual condition. I figured it was due to what was left in the bottom of the inventory box. Thinking about this, I decided a complete refund would be in order as at this time, I had located a very good condition early style "H" band on the CGN EE for half the price.

Here are actual pictures of the Marstar barrel band that I received:

Within an hour of opening my package, I had launched an RMA request, as per Marstar's instructions on their website and paper copy of the "Ironclad Guarantee". Three days later, on December 16th, I had received an e-mail back from the Marstar service department with an RMA number. On December 17th, I wrapped up the barrel band in it's original packaging and sent it back for a complete refund. I waited for any changes and figured nothing would happen with Christmas a week away. By mid January, 2014, I noticed that a credit had been put on my credit card and promptly noticed that it was not for the full amount and that I was charged a 25% restocking fee. I was certainly not pleased as the "Ironclad Guarantee" had failed in what was clearly written in fine print, both on paper and online. By this time, my Kar98k was restored and I wasn't willing to fight for $12 over a re-stocking fee. I did, however, promise myself never to conduct business with Marstar again based on this first time experience. I can say, that if any other business (no matter what they were selling), did something similar that I would not do business with them again either.

As a reference, I have been dealing with Ellwood Epps for close to six years now and the level of service I have received has been outstanding, and at times, above and beyond, considering my business may come as a minor contribution to the bottom line at the end of the year. I have read of other CGNers having the opposite experience with Ellwood epps and swearing by the same code of avoidance that I have come to use with Marstar. As I say, it is just the way the ball rolls down the hill.

I know my experience, once posted, will be torn apart, both by Marstar lovers and possibly Marstar themselves, and I have done my best to present my experience as neutral as possible and I trust this can be acknowledged and respected.
    Did you contact us ?? Did you e mail ?? Did you call ? Drop me an e mail john@marstar.ca I would like to look into this
    John

Did you contact us ?? Did you e mail ?? Did you call ? Drop me an e mail john@marstar.ca I would like to look into this
    John
    Hello John,

I did contact Marstar in mid January 2014, the day after I noticed the credit card refund for the barrel band. I did not e-mail but instead called the 1-888 number and spoke to a lady (I'm sorry but her name escapes me after eight months) and was told that there was nothing that could be done with refunding of the re-stocking fee. Given it was $12 and, at the time, I chose not to argue about it over the phone.

As for e-mail now, the only things I could forward to you is the RMA e-mail (both my inquiry and the response from the service department) along with my the original order e-mail.
    Get Psyched !