Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selling advice?

CGN Regular

Selling advice?

Hello everyone. I've done some searches and read what I found on the subject, but I still have some questions on how to best sell a firearm and ammo here on EE successfully.

-is it better to try and just sell locally, or offer to ship for non local buyers?

-if you do sell locally, is it ok to meet somewhere in public, exchange the $/gun, or is there a better way to do this for local sales?

-do I need to confirm the buyer has a PAL and if so, how do I best do this if the seller isn't local?

-what's the best way to ship a fire arm and ammo?

-is ###### ok to use for payment by non local purchasers?

-any other advice to a seller?

Like I said, a couple of questions, but I hope you can answer.

Thanks in advance, Chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckt5 View Post
    Hello everyone. I've done some searches and read what I found on the subject, but I still have some questions on how to best sell a firearm and ammo here on EE successfully.

-is it better to try and just sell locally, or offer to ship for non local buyers? Shipping makes your item available to people across all of Canada, it's a no-brainer.

-if you do sell locally, is it ok to meet somewhere in public, exchange the $/gun, or is there a better way to do this for local sales? Meet at the range?

-do I need to confirm the buyer has a PAL and if so, how do I best do this if the seller isn't local? You can call and verify the buyers PAL with the CFC. Restricted firearms require you to go through the transfer process.

-what's the best way to ship a fire arm and ammo? Canada Post, insured, tracked, with the signature required option. Only some carrier will accept explosive material (Canpar, DHL, Purolato) and there's usually a dangerous goods fee.

-is ###### ok to use for payment by non local purchasers? You cannot use ###### for firearm purchases. EMT!

-any other advice to a seller? Know your shipping prices. Shipping to some provinces (YT, NT, NU) can cost substantially more than the majors.

Like I said, a couple of questions, but I hope you can answer.

Thanks in advance, Chuck.
    Look for the red...
    Last edited by 4n2t0; 09-17-2014 at 08:47 PM.

You need to be more detailed in exactly what your selling. Is it a restricted or non restricted?

EMT (electronic money transfer) through your bank is best.

Canada Post will ship firearms.

For ammo you need a courier. (not sure which ones ship ammo in Canada. Canpar I think does it.)
    Last edited by ForaFewDollarsMore; 09-17-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    "You See, My Mule Don’t Like People Laughing. He Gets This Crazy Idea You’re Laughing At Him.”
    “When a man’s got money in his pockets, he begins to appreciate peace.”
    Member - CSSA, CCFR, CPC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cyclops666's Avatar
    Pictures help to sell the item tremendously . A lot of people pass right on by the ads without pics.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cyclops666's Avatar
    Also this place is full of buyers waiting to spend their money, so if you have to bump your own ad, then chances are your asking too much money for the item.

CGN Regular
    Thanks guys for the info. I haven't listed anything yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to follow your advice.

One more question. Do you think I would get a better price if I sold my rifle with two closed spam cans of ammo, or should I just sell it all separate? I'm wanting to sell my unfired brand new unused, still in the box SU 16 with two cans of non corrrosive 556.

My gun plans have changed, thats why I'm selling if your wondering.

Thanks guys for the info. I haven't listed anything yet, but when I do, I'll be sure to follow your advice.

One more question. Do you think I would get a better price if I sold my rifle with two closed spam cans of ammo, or should I just sell it all separate? I'm wanting to sell my unfired brand new unused, still in the box SU 16 with two cans of non corrrosive 556.

My gun plans have changed, thats why I'm selling if your wondering.
    Usually parting it out will get you more money but "combo" deals attract buyers. It's your call. Price your items properly and it will always sell.

Again, watch out for dangerous goods fees. Shipping ammo get expensive!

CGN Regular
    Is it not ok to say "buyer pays for shipping" in the deal like when you sell stuff on other sites? The shipping would need to be tracked, insured and item(s) signed for too. Before any deal would go through I would give the prespective buyer the shipping total and all that info of course.

Does that make sense or am I off here?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Is it not ok to say "buyer pays for shipping" in the deal like when you sell stuff on other sites? The shipping would need to be tracked, insured and item(s) signed for too. Before any deal would go through I would give the prespective buyer the shipping total and all that info of course.

Lots of people do deals where the buyer pays shipping. Canada Post has a price estimator you can use, and in my experience it has usually been within a few dollars. If I quote the buyer $12 shipping, and it's actually $15, I'll just cover the difference myself. I usually sell stuff to get rid of it, and not to make money, so I've got flexible profit margins.

As a seller, I love EMT payments. It guarantees that the seller has the money in their account and available, and I can use my phone to deposit it to my account at any time. It helps avoid transaction issues where you're waiting for a money transfer to come through, or the guy's mailing you a check or something like that.

If you do a local deal and meetup with the buyer, keep your head on straight and stick within your comfort level. Ideally choose a readily accessible location in a decent part of town. I sold a gun to a guy in a Home Depot parking lot, but there was also another guy I did not meet because he suggested some back alley at 11pm. No, I'm not going to go into a dead end alley at 11pm because it is way too easy for the guy to just stab me and take back his money or follow me home. It's a lot like when someone asks you for some change on the sidewalk, very few are willing to walk to the bank with you and get their face on camera for $20.

Most people are fine, but if something feels weird don't take risks. Do your research. As a buyer, you can click and drag an image into google search, to see if that image has been used elsewhere. Lots of scams just take images from Gunbroker or something similar. That's why every so often you see an ad using a picture with something unusual added in, such as a banana, to uniquely identify that picture. Not too long ago there was a member on here in Vancouver, who noticed that a picture of one of his guns was being used for a scam ad in Quebec.

All said a done, sometimes great deals do come along. Apparently there was a guy selling an M1 Garand for like $700 on the EE last week. I missed it though.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

No you're right but people will often make you an offer which includes shipping.

Example:

Shotgun = Your asking price $500.

Offered = $450 shipping included.

Now if you don't know what it will cost to ship to the buyers exact location before accepting his/her offer then you could be in for a rude awakening. Shipping to Toronto might only cost $15 but the Kitikmeot Region of Nunavut can run you a cool $50 to $60 for the exact same parcel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast