Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New shooter-shots going left

New shooter-shots going left

Hi everyone, I am a new shooter and need some help. I shoot a ISSC M-22 single action semi-auto. My sights are set up fine, (had an R.O. check it out) and he suggested it is my trigger pull. I have watched numerous You-Tube on trigger pull technique, some say finger placement depends on if DA or SA, etc. Just hoping someone here can help with that as well, finger placement, how to get rid of "flinch", etc. My club is at 20 yards, indoor.

Thanks

1) Get good advice ---> lessons if required.
    2) Shoot.
    2) Shoot more.
    4) Shoot some more.

- Record yourself, it may help you determine what your doing wrong/right.
    - Randomly place dummy rounds into the magazine, they'll show you if you're flinching.
    - Front sight, front sight, front sight!
    - Just out of curiosity, do you know your eye dominance?
    Last edited by 4n2t0; 09-21-2014 at 09:51 AM.

Right handed shooter?
    Your hand naturally wants to point slightly left
    Grip is very important. You want the palm of your left hand to redirect the gun right. Your right hand is taking the recoil. Your left hand should be doing a large part of gripping the gun

With that said
    Follow points 1 thru 4 as mentioned by 4n2to. Repeat steps 2 thru 4 as much as possible

chrisco
    There is no spoon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Can you post a picture of your target? Saying your shots go left is a bit vague. How far left? High left? Low left?
    You aren't flinching if you are just shooting pin high left. There is a likelihood you are pushing the trigger to the left when you are squeezing off the shot. What kind of stance or grip are you using? If your shooting hand (right handed?) overpowers your support hand, you may shoot left also ( usually with more powerful rds. than a .22 though)
    Best advice is take a lesson. Don't mess up your fundamentals early!

Hi one other important point. .too much cheek pressure on the stock can push shots left or right depending if your right or left shooter.
    checkout you tube..hope this helps.

CGN Regular
    Video taping yourself or having somebody watch you. you maybe be able to spot something you are doing that you don't notice you are doing when doing it. If they are all constantly to the left aim to the right. When you hold the gun do you cant it to the left or right?

Sounds like you're right handed as mentioned by chrisco. If that's the case likely what is happening is you are curling your trigger finger as you squeeze the trigger and as a result are turning the pistol just after the sear releases.
    check out ht tp://www.adjunct.diodon349.com/attack_on_usa/pistol_and_revolver_error_analysis_and_correction. htm to help you interpret your problem

Note remove the space between the ht tp: as hot linking is not permitted on this site.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer colinjw's Avatar
    I am right handed but my dominant eye is my left one. As a result, I always shoot to the left.
    I have to move my rear sight to the right to compensate. I try to get adjustable sights
    on my handguns as it is easier than moving the entire sight in a dovetail.

Step one: Natural firing position...find a position where the firearm naturally points towards the target
    Step two: Firm against your shoulder
    Step three: control your breathing...deep breaths followed by a half breath out and hold
    Step four: SQUEEZE the trigger, you should be surprised when it fires (This is usually the #1 reason for right/left issues)
    Step five: PRACTICE OFTEN!

CGN frequent flyer
    1. Image you firing hand is tied to a pole deep in the ground, and only your trigger finger moves straight back, slowly and steady(hence squeeze).
    2. Focus on your front sight, DO NOT EVER think about when the gun is going BANG(at which moment it should scare you a little bit). This way you won't anticipate the recoil and flinch.
    3. relax and tighten you wrists with an isosceles stance which is easier for beginners.
    4. and if the target distance can be adjusted, start with 5 yards and slowly build up the distance.
    5. practice frequently.
    CSSA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast