Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why am I such a terrible shot?

BANNED
    Thanks for the advice. I used to go out with my Dad shooting pop cans and stuff....he passed away and left me some lever action, a bolt action .303 and shotguns so I thought I'd join range.
    Things have definitely changed since my days of shooting cans.... bipods, monopods, bench rests etc. seem to be the norm. I think I'm pretty smooth, I take my time and don't just blast away, but the sights on the chinese guns do suck and will probably get a scope. The big bore area of my range has a 25m then goes to 100m, so shooting at 50 or 75 is out. I was thinking about getting a Ruger 10/22, what are the opinions of a good bolt action .22?
    Thanks again

CGN frequent flyer airtruck63chev's Avatar
    work on your 25m game get best groups you can with repeatability @25 if you cant group at 25 there is no way 100 or more is going to work , have a mosin in 54r that will 8"gong at 300m w/ irons and my fancy .338 big scope cant hit it... still working on shooter for that..
    JESUS PROMISED THE END OF ALL WICKED PEOPLE
    ODIN PROMISED THE END OF ALL ICE GIANTS
    I DON'T SEE MANY ICE GIANTS AROUND

I have CZ 455 full stock. It's a great rifle and very accurate with irons.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant-hit-sh!t View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I used to go out with my Dad shooting pop cans and stuff....he passed away and left me some lever action, a bolt action .303 and shotguns so I thought I'd join range.
    Things have definitely changed since my days of shooting cans.... bipods, monopods, bench rests etc. seem to be the norm. I think I'm pretty smooth, I take my time and don't just blast away, but the sights on the chinese guns do suck and will probably get a scope. The big bore area of my range has a 25m then goes to 100m, so shooting at 50 or 75 is out. I was thinking about getting a Ruger 10/22, what are the opinions of a good bolt action .22?
    Thanks again

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dand883's Avatar
    Things have definitely changed since my days of shooting cans.... bipods, monopods, bench rests etc. seem to be the norm. I think I'm pretty smooth, I take my time and don't just blast away, but the sights on the chinese guns do suck and will probably get a scope. The big bore area of my range has a 25m then goes to 100m, so shooting at 50 or 75 is out. I was thinking about getting a Ruger 10/22, what are the opinions of a good bolt action .22?Thanks again
    The savage markII .22's are hard to beat for price/accuracy. lots of people like the CZ's as well.

Savage mk II. Relatively inexpensive and pretty darned accurate right out of the box.
    I ordered a MK II BV with the heavy target barrel direct from Savage. Put a Nikon BDC 150 on it.
    Shot really well with the cheap bulk ammo.
    Switched to CCI Stingers and zeroed the scope.
    Holy crap on a cracker can this thing shoot. Last time I was out we were punching the primers out of used 12ga hulls at 100 meters.

CGN frequent flyer
    What this guy said. Also you can look on the internet for a US Army or Marine Corps marksmanship manual.

Quote Originally Posted by surfclod View Post
    If you just got into shooting an SKS and m305 are not the best choices for confidence building.

Get yourself a decent bolt action .22 LR and put in lots of time at short ranges, 25 meters and therabouts.

I would recomend getting a decent scope then you will learn the effect of trigger control, cheek weld, controlling your breathing, etc. Some might recomend you stick with irons, but I like the magnification to help build confidence.

Another vote for Savage MKII, plus it says "Manufactured in Lakefield Ontario" right on the barrel which is nice.

Another vote for the Savage MkII - excellent accuracy, great price. A bolt action is the best way to learn good habits for shooting, topped only by a single-shot, where you have to make sure every shot counts.

Semi autos are fun, but starting with them can influence your accuracy subconsciously- when you can just keep pulling the trigger to hit your target instead of trying to make your bullets count, you could develop a lack of patience- not beneficial if you are striving for accuracy.

And because I can't avoid any chance to get the boot in- if you want to shoot accurate, avoid the 10/22 unless you have the money to upgrade it. Marlin 795 or 60 will outshoot a 10/22 right out of the box, and cost $150 or so less, which you can put towards a good scope or even more ammo To get a 10/22 to match a stock Marlin, you need to spend even more money on a new barrel and trigger assembly...

You could just get a CZ, too- pricey, but excellent all-around.

HI a quick bit of advice from a new to SKS shooter also, at 100 yards it will be higher than you think. The round "lobs" a bit and is still coming down at that point. My advice is try shooting about 3 inches below your target. Maintain your point of aim once you fix it for follow up shots, do not adjust after each trigger pull. Also, invest in some large targets for at first so you can find your shots easily. Make 4 or 5 large red or orange circles that make it easy to see the holes for where you want to hit (white and black do not cut it IMO) - simple highlighters/markers will do. Then make black "points of aim" 3 inches below them.

Last question, are you using a 6 o clock hold? Most military firearms are designed to use this hold where you maintain full sight of your target. It is not where you cover your target with your sights. This has worked for me and I consistently can get 3 inch groups with my SKS now.

Hope this helps and all the best!

Zen
    I would have made it shorter but I did not have the time - Blaise Pascal

BANNED
    Thanks again
    I think you are on the right track.....go with the Ruger 10-22 as they are a great little rifle . I have several different firearms in both restricted and non-restricted , but my 10-22 rifle and Ruger Mark 2 target pistol get more usuage than all the others combined....dependable , no recoil , cheap ammo and the ability to fire and reload rapidly......you cannot go wrong with a 10-22....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast