Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why am I such a terrible shot?

BANNED
    Went to the range yesterday and did better, but I'm still going .22 shopping this weekend.
    Thanks again to all for the advice!

My vote for a .22 rifle is for a Marlin 795 or Marlin model 60.
    Just as accurate or some say better out of the box then a Ruger 10-22. Not as much bling on the market for them but, it depends on what you want from a .22 rifle.

My .02 cents.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 300Spartans's Avatar
    One of the best, inexpensive target rifles out there is none other than the old Cooey 75. Canadian made and accurate, this classic single shot rifle will develop your shooting skills.
    Liberals really like POOR people, they're making more of them every day. --- Bearhunter (with permission)

CGN Regular
    ...or practice?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 300Spartans View Post
    One of the best, inexpensive target rifles out there is none other than the old Cooey 75. Canadian made and accurate, this classic single shot rifle will develop your shooting skills.
    If you can't find a cooey75, I'd recommend an NS522 from canadaammo and a scope, out of the box mine is shooting close to an inch at 100 yards.

The Ruger 10/22 has steal lipped 25 round magazines readily available at any gun store. Do these other .22's have 25 round mags for them? Do yourself a favor and get a 10/22. In my opinion it is the best practice rifle. I have one and it DRIVES PINS!
    I reserve the right to reserve my rights.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by XTGUN View Post
    ...or practice?
    Captain obvious......is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by surfclod View Post
    If you just got into shooting an SKS and m305 are not the best choices for confidence building.

Get yourself a decent bolt action .22 LR and put in lots of time at short ranges, 25 meters and therabouts.

I would recomend getting a decent scope then you will learn the effect of trigger control, cheek weld, controlling your breathing, etc. Some might recomend you stick with irons, but I like the magnification to help build confidence.
    Hear! Hear! GREAT advice!
    "This is my country, there are many like it, but this one is mine---------"

CGN frequent flyer
    Seen lots of good advices from others already and I am in no way an expert, but just a dumb question or maybe stating the obvious.
    Did you check/know which one is your dominant eye? In case you are a cross-dominant like myself, long gun shooting would be a little bit more challenging than the rest of the "normal" people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cant-hit-sh!t View Post
    So I just got into shooting...bought a sks and m305 and some cheap ammo and go out to the range. I sight them in at 25m the best I can then head over to 100m and can't hit the broad side of a barn!!
    I've seen guys talking of 4" or 3" or whatever groups at 100m with iron sights, Im lucky if i hit 12" X 12" target much less groups of anything!!!
    What should my expectations be sitting using a bag rest??
    Let me have it........
    Last edited by luckey; 09-30-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    CSSA Life Member

CGN Regular
    good luck on your 22LR rifle purchase! you wont go wrong with a 10/22. my buddy has a savage 64 and it's more accurate than mine(a 10/22) is. cost in about 100 less also.

I went 10/22 for the versatility. I like knowing I can change it up and mod it many different ways. I knew it was a rifle I intend to keep. I was very tempted to go with the marlin rifles you see others recommending too.

Then there are bolt action guns. One day i'm going to get a cz 452 or 455. but that day isn't here quite yet.

good luck, and don't be afraid to walk away if you guns you see available don't interest you. Make the right purchase once I say.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast