Thread: New to the sport - recent rifle purchase, some questions....

New to the sport - recent rifle purchase, some questions....

Good Afternoon,

My thanks in advance for any help offered.

I recently purchased my first rifle, a Tikka T3 Stainless .243.

My first question is regarding maintenance.

The gentleman at the store suggested cleaning the gun once I got home, is that necessary if I am not planning on going to a range for at least the next month or so (assuming I can wait that long!!!)?

I purchased a Hoppes bore cleaning kit which he suggested (special cord with a copper tip to run through the barrel), along with their brand solvent, oil, and a silicone cloth.

Basically I am looking to ensure that I keep this thing in high working condition and dont make any stupid 'newbie' mistakes!

Cheers

Nice choice!

It is not necessary for you to clean the rifle before shooting. I would clean it just before going out to the range. Often times manufacturers will use rust inhibiting chemicals/oils to help protect the firearm while it's being stored.

The kit didn't come with a rod? It doesn't really matter, settle into a cleaning routine that suits you best.
    Last edited by 4n2t0; 09-27-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Congrats and welcome

I clean all my new firearms as soon as I get them home. My thinking is it never hurts to clean, dissemble and reassemble your firearm to familiarize yourself with it......

happy shooting
    "An educated mind that is not an open mind is a programmed mind" [/B]

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Welcome aboard! You can't go wrong with a Tikka, and I would give it a good cleaning prior to firing it the first time.