Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should this have cost me? (Box of clays and a case of target load)

CGN Regular

How much should this have cost me? (Box of clays and a case of target load)

So I went into my local LGS the other day.

It's run by an old guy and he doesn't have any prices on any of his stuff.

I bought a 10 box case of target load @ 89.99

and then 20 on the box of clays.

I went on Cabelas.ca today and see a single box (brand name, no less) of target load for 5.99. That's for a box of 25 shots... not 10 boxes of 25 shots. I paid 8.99 per box and that's his "deal price" when you buy a case I guess. I got a single box the week before for $10.

Did I get ripped off? I feel like the dude took advantage of my ignorance. I think I am done shopping there, and now I understand why my other shooter friends don't shop there. I'm really disappointed by this. I know it's my job to know the prices, but it just sucks to be unable to trust the guy. As a new shooter it would have been nice if you could trust a "Pro"...
    Last edited by wd123; 09-27-2014 at 04:14 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    I don't shop at my local gun shop, 'cause they don't put the prices on the products.
    Buddy's will get a good deal, while saps like me get screwed.

CGN Regular
    challenger 60$
    Winchester target 65$
    AA 85-90$
    box o birds 15$

Did he make you buy them..did you research comparables at other stores? I can find a comparable price on anything in 10 seconds on my Iphone. If you got a quality box of shells for 9$ that's not out of line but you can certainly do better.

You bought a box for 10$ a week earlier..how did he take advantage of you if you already knew the price..he charged you less the next time. The only way he took advantage is if you paid a different price than other customers..and even then I pay less than some guys because I buy a lot...likely guys pay less than me because they buy a lot more.

CGN Regular
    yep, I know it's my responsibility to know what things are worth. But that said, I kinda figured I could trust the guy. Apparently not though, I will think of this was a wakeup call. I'm glad I didnt' waste any more money there.

the ammo was "clever super target" by mirage.

It sucks though, because I want to support the local guys... but both places have now both left me feeling like they don't deserve my patronage.

In case you guys are interested, The other place sold me a stock. He paused and asked if I still had the screw to attach my old stock and then when I said yes... he removed the screw from the one I was buying and put it into a synthetic stock he also showed me but on that one it was missing. I was dumb founded they did that. I should have told em to put it back on what I was buying. They have also been less than helpful when I have asked them to bring a product they normally carry. Instead they just tried to sell me a different brand... I know what I want and bought it here on the EE for $250 less instead.

I love online shopping so it seems that ammo and the like will be no different. If the shops want my business they need to treat me better, but I think they have lost my interest.

*edited for clarity and typos
    Last edited by wd123; 09-27-2014 at 05:20 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yodave's Avatar
    ever consider that either you or a shop owner have to pay freight and or shipping...........

you leave out a very important key fact that turns your rant on others around and places the blame on yourself..............and that is location location, location............

Things in a more specific region are cheaper.........the farther out away from the city center you can expect to pay a bit more.........
    If you private message me and don't get a reply within 24 hours there is a good chance you've earned a spot on my ignore list

Friends don't let friends drive fords

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yodave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    I don't shop at my local gun shop, 'cause they don't put the prices on the products.
    Buddy's will get a good deal, while saps like me get screwed.
    I used to deal with 2 shops that had prices on everything for the weekend warriors and mall ninjas........the rest of us serious type got a pretty decent discount at the till and free coffee...........
    If you private message me and don't get a reply within 24 hours there is a good chance you've earned a spot on my ignore list

Friends don't let friends drive fords

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wd123 View Post
    I love online shopping so it seems that ammo and the like will be no different. If the shops want my business they need to treat me better, but I think they have lost my interest.
    I totally agree with you. Online shopping is the way for me.
    And I'd make a 5 hour round trip to a BBS for powder and such, that is too expensive to ship.
    I don't factor the cost of gas into the equation, 'cause just getting outta this one horse town temporarily, is well worth it.

Unfortunately for them... I don't think there's much future left for what we call the LGS.
    Old/out dated practices and the inability to compete.

I call it economic Darwinism.

I rarely ever step into the LGS near me.
    Buy right from the factory/distributor or online.
    Bernie Rhodes knows. Don't Argue

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by yodave View Post
    ever consider that either you or a shop owner have to pay freight and or shipping...........

Yes, absolutely. But a 25% increase on the birds, and 33-40% hike on the ammo (compared to what others have stated.) is just too much. Here on EE, people have been charging me what the shipping actually costs and it has been very reasonable. Even from the other side of the country. It's been very surprisingly fast, and reasonable. By doing that so far, I have saved well over 25-50% on all of my online purchases.

you leave out a very important key fact that turns your rant on others around and places the blame on yourself..............and that is location location, location............

I'm not that far out in the sticks. But it is a solid 2+ hour drive in any direction at least to get to a city.

Things in a more specific region are cheaper.........the farther out away from the city center you can expect to pay a bit more.........

You're right, but I don't think that's the issue here. It's just a questionably dishonest store owner, and a naive customer who has learned a valuable lesson.

@smally21
    Thank you for the price comparison. The $10 box was a box of challenger target. Was also 5.99 online after looking around and comparing. This was an important lesson. I'm glad it wasn't any more costly than it has been.

I used to deal with 2 shops that had prices on everything for the weekend warriors and mall ninjas........the rest of us serious type got a pretty decent discount at the till and free coffee...........
    I think that sucks. It's not an old boys club, at least it shouldn't be. Not if you want new generations of fellow enthusiasts to keep the sport healthy and growing (and support you and your businesses). I don't want to have to barter, just give me a fair deal from the get go. I will take my business elsewhere (and get a better deal at the same time) if that's how it has to be. Only downside is, I do believe in supporting local guys if I can do it reasonably. I sure as hell don't buy computer parts locally! LMAO... I wouldn't have thought that guns and supplies would be like that too though. I'm in the country. Prices should be fair.

One of my friend's has a dad who shops there and has for a long time. As a result, he (my friend) gets' the "old timer price" as he put it, when he shops there and it's not busy. This is a great example of excluding your future patrons and personally, it doesn't make me want to participate with that kind of shop.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    I totally agree with you. Online shopping is the way for me.
    And I'd make a 5 hour round trip to a BBS for powder and such, that is too expensive to ship.
    I don't factor the cost of gas into the equation, 'cause just getting outta this one horse town temporarily, is well worth it.
    I also love a good trip to the city. Urban environments are great to visit, but past experience has told me I hate living there. :P I need the woods and swamps , rivers and lakes. I have gotten great deals online so far and it has proven to be a much better option for me so far. I am just disappointed that my local shops seem to be living in a different era.

Quote Originally Posted by 667 View Post
    Unfortunately for them... I don't think there's much future left for what we call the LGS.
    Old/out dated practices and the inability to compete.

I call it economic Darwinism.

I rarely ever step into the LGS near me.
    Buy right from the factory/distributor or online.
    I think I agree with you and that's too bad.

You think thats a pretty fair way to do business?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast