Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpacker 12Ga sticky chamber?

CGN Regular

Backpacker 12Ga sticky chamber?

Anyone had extraction problems with the backpacker? I took mine to the range this past weekend (brand new, cleaned and lubed before going) and had the DA slug spent shells get *really* stuck in the chamber. One of them I got a bit rough with trying to get out, and it bent the rim of the shell, so I had to push it out with a rod!

Should I be looking at polishing the chamber or something?

Also, how about the hammer hooking up when trying to cock it? Occasionally I couldn't pull back the hammer, even after making sure the trigger reset.

Don't get me wrong, I still love it, assuming I can get this extraction issue fixed.

I have the double barrel version and had no problems. I also have the 16 gauge single and I haven't had any issues with it. I'd polish the chamber a bit (or try switching shell brands just to try first)

I have the 12Ga backpacker but I don't have an extraction problem like you and I've mostly shot cheap winchester slugs and 00' through it. (if that helps)

What I do have is breaking the thing open after a shot is really hard.. really have to work at it to open it. It extracts fine when it finally comes open.
    I try to be open minded but I'm afraid my brain will fall out.

CGN Regular
    I have the double barreled version as well.
    When it was new it would sometimes require a little persuasion to extract heavier loads (00 buck or slugs).
    I ran about a bunch of target and light game loads through it and now it will extract anything no issue.
    Might need a bit of breaking in, or, if you can't/don't want to do that I'm sure a little polishing of the chambers will have the same effect.

No issues extracting on mine but my hand-guard on the single shot backpacker blows off without fail every time I shoot it. I exchanged it for a new one and it has the exact same problem ha.

I paracorded the handguard over the barrel to solve the issue. Thankfully the gun didn't cost a lot!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TyK View Post
    I have the 12Ga backpacker but I don't have an extraction problem like you and I've mostly shot cheap winchester slugs and 00' through it. (if that helps)

What I do have is breaking the thing open after a shot is really hard.. really have to work at it to open it. It extracts fine when it finally comes open.
    If you're referring to what I think you are, I think this is the same issue. Opening causes the extraction with the weight of the barrel being dropped helping it to push out. I tried to brute force it over my knee, and the rim of the shell bent.

Anyway, I'm going to try smoothing out the chamber and the surrounding burrs.

CGN frequent flyer
    More than likely you will find a few burrs, I did on my backpacker. Not the best trigger and the fore end is loose but other than that it is a decent little boomstick.

I also filed down the raised, cheese grater engraving on the barrel.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjoleynick View Post
    No issues extracting on mine but my hand-guard on the single shot backpacker blows off without fail every time I shoot it. I exchanged it for a new one and it has the exact same problem ha.

I paracorded the handguard over the barrel to solve the issue. Thankfully the gun didn't cost a lot!
    Had a loose fore end on my outlaw, catch didn't have enough surface area contact to engage properly, couple light rubs with a file fixed the problem.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbishi View Post
    Had a loose fore end on my outlaw, catch didn't have enough surface area contact to engage properly, couple light rubs with a file fixed the problem.
    Mine had the same problem. I ended up soldering a bead of solder to the latch to make it catch better.
    Will see how long it lasts. If its in the bottom of the canoe where it might be needed, I wrap a cable tie around it just to be sure it won't fly apart.

Which one is the right pic? They have one with checkering on the stock and one smooth.....looks like the lever to break it open is different too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast