Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have any old batches of Norc 5.56 been bad?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer the_klenzer's Avatar

Have any old batches of Norc 5.56 been bad?

Hey guys, I hoover through your Norc surplus 5.56 in the TMSA Tacmatch series (which we appreciate you sponsoring! I shot on the CanAmmo team for the big match in Aug), and have bought around 3-4 cases per year for the last couple years.

However... since I cracked into one case this summer (yellow cardboard box, I think stamped 93 or 95) I've had numerous problems, from blown primers to various FTE and FTF issues, all from the same order (though different crates). I've done some extensive testing over multiple mags and serveral different rifles and isolated the ammo as the issue. I was wondering if there have been any known issues with any previous batches? This order is from last fall I think. Still good for plinking and practice, but I can't use it in competition anymore.

Also... and no coincidence... when will you have Rem .223 back in stock. I need to order a lot of it.

Thanks!

Some VZ58's have case separation and jamming problems with this stuff and yet others run it no problem. Overall pretty decent stuff, just don't expect to many reloads from the brass.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer geologist's Avatar
    My MR-1 and CQA have gobbled up a half crate with zero problems.
    "Conservation is the mark of a dying civilization. When your technology is not increasing at the same rate as your population growth you are done. Bring on the next contender.".

shooting this stuff the other day,had nemerous FTF.....all light strikes we thought till i put it through my AR which had been eating it now stop for the last year.but honestly.....thats one bad batch out of maybe 5000 rounds...ill deal with it
    It's not that I'm new to this....I'm just an idiot...

Once Proud member of the NFA.now disgruntled and disillusioned and confused.

Check your case "lot" number. My experience leads me to believe that bad batches tend to come from lots in the mid-high 20s+.
    I've run through 2 cases now of low lot number batches with ZERO issues in my ARs. Any friends that have had issues tend to have higher lot numbers.
    "You may not like guns. That is your right. You may not believe in God. That is your choice. But if someone breaks into your home, the first two things you are going to do are… Call someone with a gun and Pray they get there in time." - Unknown

CGN Ultra frequent flyer the_klenzer's Avatar
    Thanks Tigerbalm, I'll check. I'd say my issues have numbered 1 in 40-50 rounds.

At the last match, I had enough ftfs that any FTF off the beep was thus named after me.

Edit... Just want to add that I've been through thousands if not tens of thousands of rounds from canammo up to this point and this is the first potentially bad batch I've had.

I had a batch norc 556 headstamp cj93 that I had no ftf but 6 out of 100 rounds had the primer blow out a hole where the firing pin struck. One of them blew back primer bits into the bolt and jammed up the firing pin rendering the rifle inoperable until the bolt was disassembled to unjam the firing pin (AR) I didn't shoot any more of that batch.

somewhere in between Saskatchewan and Ontario
    I had some yellow box norc that wouldn't fire from my buddies mossberg MVP. I wasn't willing to try norc in my tavor so I don't know if my rifle would have shot it though

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Hey,

There were a few batches in the 20s that were not as good. CanadaAmmo probably has more info... Guess it's the price of buying cheap...

At least you weren't using your Tavor and could clear the stoppages fast!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 84wh1 View Post
    I had some yellow box norc that wouldn't fire from my buddies mossberg MVP. I wasn't willing to try norc in my tavor so I don't know if my rifle would have shot it though
    A lot of bolt guns don't like it... Never had a problem in any of my ARs, but it is unreliable in my 700.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast