Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: visa debit

BANNED

visa debit

Hey, do you guys accept visa debit for online purchases?

Thanks

They should accept Visa

So many places do not accept Visa debit, although more and more stores are taking Visa debit now.

For those that don't know Visa debit is "supposed" to be like a credit card, except the money comes right out of your bank account.
    You have to have the cash in your bank account to buy whatever it is you're buying, but it allows you to buy stuff online.

See if they take EMT before you use your Visa debit as most places give you a 3% discount when using EMT.
    Cheers friend!

Only businesses that have an actual online payment processor (like ######) will accept Virtual Visa Debit cards.

If the business is inputting credit card numbers from online orders into a physical credit card (POS) machine, then Virtual Visa Debit cards won't be accepted. At least, that's how I understand it.
    "All they now possess is liberty, what they before enjoyed is sacrificed to its service, and having nothing more to lose, they disdain submission." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

Liberal promise, a first rate oxymoron.

Just a friendly heads up, Visa Debit in Canada doesn't exactly work like Visa Debit in the US, primarily because your Visa Debit defaults to Interac in Canada (it 'may' work if the store's payment processor is US based and how they're setup, but usually no).
    Check other started threads for combo deals

Yup, Razer is right. US Visa Debit is totally different. I am lucky enough to live on the border, so I have a Bank of America account just so I can use their visa debit and remain credit card free. It works EVERYWHERE. Canada's Visa Debit hardly works anywhere LOL and the banks excuse is that Visa Debit is a brand new technology.

The US doens't have the "INTERAC" brand like Canada and visa debit / MC Debit is a direct competitor of the INTERAC system. The banks up here are so in with INTERAC, I think that is why the credit card base debit systems are not being pushed as hard, a mix of lobbying by INTERAC and maybe contractual stuff with the banks?
    opossum eating peaches

As a retailer, Interac is still the preference for us. We pay a flat rate of about 9 cents per interac transaction. Visa debit is a percentage of the tranaction so it costs more to the retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by rcs1016 View Post
    As a retailer, Interac is still the preference for us. We pay a flat rate of about 9 cents per interac transaction. Visa debit is a percentage of the tranaction so it costs more to the retailer.
    Bingo! This is why Interac is preferred among physical stores.

Visa/MC/AMEX have an "Interchange" fee, which although varies, is between 1%-2% or more in some cases (depending on transaction type).

Fun bit of trivia, Interac accounts for ~60% of POS terminal transactions in Canada (physical transactions, not online obviously).

Quote Originally Posted by blacktusk View Post
    Yup, Razer is right. US Visa Debit is totally different. I am lucky enough to live on the border, so I have a Bank of America account just so I can use their visa debit and remain credit card free. It works EVERYWHERE. Canada's Visa Debit hardly works anywhere LOL and the banks excuse is that Visa Debit is a brand new technology.

The US doens't have the "INTERAC" brand like Canada and visa debit / MC Debit is a direct competitor of the INTERAC system. The banks up here are so in with INTERAC, I think that is why the credit card base debit systems are not being pushed as hard, a mix of lobbying by INTERAC and maybe contractual stuff with the banks?
    Its a little more complicated than that, but Interac isn't a huge lobbying powerhouse, they just charge low fees compared to Visa/MC/AMEX. The US banking system is significantly more decentralized (in a bad way).

Read wrong I thought this thread was about visa debt!!
    Practice makes you perfect, it also makes you broke!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast