Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 9mm ammo. 115gr vs 124gr?

CGN Regular

9mm ammo. 115gr vs 124gr?

Help a newbie out please. Looking to buy some ammo for my new handguns (S&W MP9mm and Sig P226 9mm). Was going to buy blazer 9mm ammo, and just noticed they have 115gr and 124gr ammo. Can somebody kindly explain the difference between these two and which is appropriate for using at the gun range? Also, my first time going to range, is FMJ ammo accepted at all ranges? Thanks!

Not anything you will notice. Buy the cheaper and possibly the heavier. Yes, FMJ is usable. The 115gr is a lighter bullet than the 124gr.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer AB.boy's Avatar
    If they were all priced the same I would tend to buy the heavier as well, but honestly just buy the cheapest you can find. I would assume most ranges would allow FMJ as it is the most common. That being said if ammo has a mild steel jacket some ranges may have rules against that.

When all the same price I buy 147gr for professionnal reason (train as you fight)

If no 147gr is available, I buy whatever is on the shelves favoring 124gr then 115gr. Some people will say 115gr feels "snappiers" but I haven't noticed any difference.

Buy whatever you find in FMJ it should put a smile on your face once you press that trigger anyway :P

CGN Regular
    Thanks for the info guys! Can't wait to pick up my firearms and start shooting!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer medvedqc's Avatar
    what they said ...

Quote Originally Posted by medvedqc View Post
    what they said ...
    A little late to the party? lol.

Buy both and shoot what is best, you will notice the 115 is a lot louder and more recoil than the 124. I didn’t notice until someone pointed it out to me one day.
    Gun control defined:
    The theory that criminals who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder, will obey a law that prohibits them from owning a firearm while disarming decent people from having access to firearms to prevent criminals from achieving their goals.

CGN Regular
    Any thoughts on Barnaul ammunition? Significantly cheaper than Blazer Brass and Federal

http://www.reliablegun.com/en/barnau...j-1000rds-case

edit: nvm, just noticed they're steel plated. I'll stick with blazer brass or federal

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Ganderite's Avatar
    can you buy commercial reloads with lead bullets? half the cost.
    -- Learn by the experience of others.... you won't live long enough to make all the mistakes yourself.
    -- The fool mistakes his world for the world.
    -- Doubt is uncomfortable but certainty is ridiculous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast