Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 55/56 sks

I would love to do something like this but the wife won't let me.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Yeah I thought about that a while ago and I know someone who's done it, but I probably won't go that far.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

Expired Business Member
    Many that I have seen have the star on side receiver. I can not say that all have them

Sergey

My Tula, is dated 1955 on top of the receiver cover, and it also has a star on the side of the receiver. Has any one else seen this on there Russian SKS?
    Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran.
    Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ljones's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ljones View Post
    55 dated SKS's won't have the star. Only the No Date receiver cover 56 "Letter" guns will. Every letter gun sks I have seen has the star behind the serial number.
    EDIT: While I have never seen one obviously transitional 55/56 can have both (Tula Star on receiver cover and smaller star on the receiver to the right of the serial number) as they made the transition was made. But these will certainly uncommon.
    No such thing as too much ammunition or toilet paper...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceedubya View Post
    My Tula, is dated 1955 on top of the receiver cover, and it also has a star on the side of the receiver. Has any one else seen this on there Russian SKS?
    That's a nice rifle my friend.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ceedubya View Post
    Depends if your's is a refurb or non refurb. As I have edited my previous post, to indicate that both can exist on the same gun. But was this done on original, non refurb or was a late model 56 with receiver star SKS refurbished and a 55 dated receiver cover installed? More info would be needed. But it would obviously be plausible to think both were used for a bit during transition as other features both existed on earlier SKS's as transition happened and changes were made to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ljones View Post
    55 dated SKS's won't have the star. Only the No Date receiver cover 56 "Letter" guns will. Every letter gun sks I have seen has the star behind the serial number.
    An update to my previous statement: It would seem that a 55 dated could very well have a "Letter" gun serial number. The fellow who brought it to my attention found it in the US and is trying to procure it (it is an early CAI import that was brought into the US) and will post pictures on the Survivors SKS Boards when he has it in his possession. He thought the same as me. Again we are not sure yet if it is a non refurb original yet or was a Letter gun refurbed with a 55 receiver cover, we will have to wait and see. Three pics he was able to take in the store:

I have a 'D' Letter gun that is a 'no date receiver cover star'. She appears to be a non refurb, and has the same numeric prefix in the serial number as has the rifle in the above post -'KPxxxx'.

I used to own a 55 top cover dated SKS that was not a letter series with the star on the receiver as well. Sold it long before I knew any better! I've seen exactly 1 other like it on Westrifle's site, but it sold before I could talk myself into buying it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12