Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rifle scope or spotting scope?

rifle scope or spotting scope?

Just got a rugger 10/22, practising with the iron sights. Can't see the holes on the paper targets

I need a spotting scope, but I figure once I'm good enough with the iron sights then I'll get some optics. Should I get the rifle scope instead to save some money and just use it as a spotting scope? Can you fit rifle scopes on a tripod? Or should I get a proper spotting scope and why?

For range use, rifle scope all the way. I rarely use my spotter and wish I'd spent the cash on better scopes. A good spotter is big money and a low quality spotter is not worth buying. Also, systems such as the Bullseye Camera system will soon supplant spotting scopes on the range.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

If you're shooting beyond 200m, you need a spotting scope.

Super Moderator
    A quality riflescope will have better optics than an economy spotting scope.
    A cheap spotter is only going to frustrate. I use a Kowa 663 with 25X LER eyepiece.
    If you get only one, the scope is the one to get. A decent variable with higher power will work for spotting .22 holes at 10/22 ranges.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr589 View Post
    For range use, rifle scope all the way. I rarely use my spotter and wish I'd spent the cash on better scopes. A good spotter is big money and a low quality spotter is not worth buying. Also, systems such as the Bullseye Camera system will soon supplant spotting scopes on the range.
    Well put, my sentiments as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    A quality riflescope will have better optics than an economy spotting scope.
    A cheap spotter is only going to frustrate. I use a Kowa 663 with 25X LER eyepiece.
    If you get only one, the scope is the one to get. A decent variable with higher power will work for spotting .22 holes at 10/22 ranges.
    Well said !

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    If you're shooting beyond 200m, you need a spotting scope.
    Nice to have both good quality scopes but if money is an issue put it into a higher quality rifle scope

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxdj View Post
    Nice to have both good quality scopes but if money is an issue put it into a higher quality rifle scope
    I know I'm glad to have a 70X spotting scope when shooting beyond 200m. Even with a high quality rifle scope (22X), I have trouble with bad contrast seeing hits beyond 200m. I experimented with paper colors and white seems to offer the best contrast for seeing hits. But you still need help out that far.

Thanks for the tips guys. Sounds like it's better to invest on a rifle scope to use as a spotter until it's ready to be mounted on the rifle.

Super Moderator
    Mount it on the rifle.
    Your skills will develop faster with an optic than with the factory irons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast