Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Got My Alaskan Scout: Doesn't Look Right

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Being Chiappa that doesn't really surprise me.
    My limited experience (1 new purchase, plus 1 inspection of new in store) with Chiappa and that doesn't surprise me either. As consumers, our expectations are way too high, for todays market. If the gun shoots bullets, and is able to hit a reasonably sized target, it is acceptable. Looks are secondary. We can no longer expect custom gun quality from a mass produced gun.

This is the age of powdered metal, plastic and polymers.

I've bought new guns that wouldn't feed, bores so rough that it takes days to clean, plastic trigger guards, and the list goes on. I have lowered my expectations considerable.

Your puppy should be better, and you will probably get a better replacement.

I have had some mail order items (from other companies) that I suspect they send me returns or items in store customers rejected. Mail order customers sometimes get treated like second class citizens, not right, but that's what happens.

Hey all,

Figured I'd chime in here as I just took delivery of mine.

I am thankful to report that mine did not unbox with any notable visual concerns. So far I am quite pleased with the "look" of the unit.

I will say that due to the "flat" or "rough/textured" finish to the metal, you can expect mark up relatively easily. I'll be hitting the range today with it and will report back with my feedback.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    If these were just made as a special limited order, how the heck did they corrode that fast!?
    Looks like the hard chrome or stainless, whatever it is was bead blasted, one thing to make sure when you are bead blasting is to make sure that you do not use the same blast media on Carbon steel as you do on the Stainless or High chromium steel, if you do the media will carry the carbon steel particles along with the blasting media and impregnate the stainless or chrome finish with carbon steel and it will rust and it will look exactly like that in the picture.

The manufacturing practice of the one in question here is very antiquated, I can tell just by looking at the finished product.

*****ATTENTION*****

To anyone who has purchased this gun with this finish, these are surfaces to avoid putting this gun down on to avoid any such corrosion in the future, ABSOLUTELY AVOID ANY BARE CARBON STEEL SURFACES, do not clean with anything like Green Scrubby or abrasive pads they contain carbon steel, PADS, Use only brass brushes, avoid using uncoated tools when servicing, and definitely make sure extra special that this firearm stays in s dry place, I am not a gambler but the OP's gun was exposed to moisture and would assume everyone who purchased one like this if it is exposed to a corrosion friendly environment it will look the same. So no carbon steel and no moisture, forever, and remebr there is lots of iron ore in the rocks in the wild so avid the ground as well.

I am not trying to fear monger I just want to educate so everyone can have a nice firearm for life

Quote Originally Posted by close range View Post
    Got my Wanstalls 2nd run 12" Alaskan Scout Takedown today. Excitedly unboxed it and was shocked at the state of the rifle:

There is absolutely no oil or grease on the gun. It is bone dry. It looks like the little brown spots are the beginning of corrosion. They are small pits in the finish. I applied a touch of G96 to one little spot and it didn't take it off.

After spending $1400 on a brand new gun this is shocking. It looks used and put away wet. There were no O2 absorption packets in the box.

Does anyone else's look like this? This is the first hard-chromed finished firearm I've purchased, is this normal?
    OMG! ......That looks like sh@t!

what has Wanstalls done? have you called Gary yet?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay View Post
    OMG! ......That looks like sh@t!
    Good thing you quoted all the pictures, because otherwise we would have had no clue what you were referencing.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

I just talked to Gary. He is paying to ship the rifle back and told me he has a replacement set aside that he will ship out to me.
    In my opinion its a +1 for Wanstalls and a big -1 for Chiappa.
    Im hoping that with proper care my replacement rifle will provide years of service. If it were'nt for the fact that a short-barrelled lever action takedown was so scarce I would ask for a refund and go to another manufacturer. I'll give Chiappa another chance just because I dont have the option to buy a similar product from someone else and at similar price point.
    getting wet in beautiful BC

Bravo!
    "Successful outcomes breed bulls**t solutions." - Paul Gomez

“Our main agenda is to have ALL guns banned. We must use whatever means possible. It doesn't matter if you have to distort facts or even lie.” - Sarah Brady

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bollox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Remisteel View Post
    *****ATTENTION*****

To anyone who has purchased this gun with this finish, these are surfaces to avoid putting this gun down on to avoid any such corrosion in the future, ABSOLUTELY AVOID ANY BARE CARBON STEEL SURFACES, do not clean with anything like Green Scrubby or abrasive pads they contain carbon steel, PADS, Use only brass brushes, avoid using uncoated tools when servicing, and definitely make sure extra special that this firearm stays in s dry place, I am not a gambler but the OP's gun was exposed to moisture and would assume everyone who purchased one like this if it is exposed to a corrosion friendly environment it will look the same. So no carbon steel and no moisture, forever, and remebr there is lots of iron ore in the rocks in the wild so avid the ground as well.

I am not trying to fear monger I just want to educate so everyone can have a nice firearm for life
    Meh, I would just chuck it in the dishwasher with a finish tab...
    sic semper tyrannis