Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Got My Alaskan Scout: Doesn't Look Right

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmagoo View Post
    Yea, that's what I figured. Not on mine though. I expected it to be snug, not this tight. My be this would be a bad idea, but what if I shot it with no tube? The shock might shake it lose. Probably I will try to put wrenches ( padded of coarse) on it some how. Sat on it and tried with both hands didn't budge. This is one neet little rifle, the bad time the others are having is a total buzz kill! I really feel for them and at the same time happy it didn't happen to me. Other than these glitches I am real happy now that I got it in good shape ( NEW!!) As was expected.
    Got mine everything looks OK except front sight fell out. Went to take it apart and was also very tight ended up putting buttstock between my legs and used both hands on barrel twisted to the right and walla.
    Hope this works for you.

Happy to report that mine arrived today and it's a beauty. despite this thread scaring the crap out of me, I'm happy I grabbed one of these.
    "However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    So I got it apart last night after all, man was it tight ,the threads were dry no lube ,slapped some gun grease to it , unscrews a lot easer now. The action is pretty smooth and the trigger is allso. As for the sight I think I'll stake it. Slide to one side and punch it a good one, than tap the sight to the center and go from there. Found the action looked a little dirty going to blow it out than oil it lightly not to goober it up to badly. Just itching to go and try it out I'll go for a walk on the back 40 this week end got where my vest its hunting season. Feeling a lot better about it now since that I got it in my hands and able to play with it now, my anxiety is all but gone now Happy Camper ! Best of luck to all you others out there !

Quote Originally Posted by H.K.Glock 007 View Post
    Well...mine is due to show up Monday. I also bought as a collectors piece. If it is used at all im sorry but its going back. I bought it on a whim as first set of guys seemed happy. But there is at least 2 in this thread that are not good. I hope it's not the only 2 guys who have received them thus far. Lol
    :-(
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

CGN Regular
    Went over mine very thoroughly and happy to report, all is well inside (all that I can see at least) and out. Other than being in desperate need for some lube, its ready to go. The action feels super smooth as well as the trigger. Really looking forward to firing a few rounds down range when the time comes.

Bummer to hear about a few others not being so good. I'm sure Wanstalls will make it right.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    My last chiappa had a tensioning screw in the front sight that you could tighten to snug up the blade in it's dovetail. Do these guns still have that feature, or is it just a plain dovetail sight?
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

BANNED
    It'll be interesting to see how the longer term in the field dependability and durability goes especially after the guns have had some exposure to the elements in hunting applications.

CGN Regular
    Watch their return policy though, they will charge you 3% on a return which is an illegal practice. I had to get my credit card company to reverse that charge in a dispute claim. The item was bought and the order was canceled same day, never boxed up or shipped and they withheld 3% from me on the canceled order. I have read nothing but good things about them but my experience was not so.

BANNED
    I don't buy any gun sight unseen over the Internet.
    I need to inspect it and function test it before any money/plastic changes hands.
    This is a case in point illustration of the sagacity of that policy.
    The Rossi 92 levergun is a good buy in regards to value per dollar though you might have to pick thru several guns on the rack to find a good one.
    Marlin (Remington) has really pulled up its socks in the past year and the newest 1895s and 336s on the rack are very good quality.
    The Rossis and Marlins are less than half the money (and twice the gun) of the Chiappa rifles discussed on this thread.
    I bought a 336 in 35 Rem that is smooth and accurate and cycles flawlessly with pretty decent walnut, workmanship and w/m fitting.
    I was told by several previous owners to stay away from the Chiappa rifles.
    Seems in retrospect that was sound advice.

The conclusion to my saga:
    When I first called Wanstalls I was told to send the gun back amd they would send me a replacement. The rifle I sent back was recieved by Wanstalls on Friday at 11am. After hearing nothing from them through the weekend I called them on Tuesday afternoon. I was told I had been refunded and if I wanted a replacement I had to give them my credit card info again and essentially make a new order. Hmmm. At this point my credit card company said no refund had been issued. I attenpted to call back and another employee took a message for me. At this point no one has bothered to call me back. On wednesday the refund was issued to my credit card however. At this point Im done with it. I couldnt be bothered to chase the issue. Yes Im disapointed. This was a rifle I wanted. Mostly only heard good things about Wanstalls. My experience has been negative. I paid good money up front for a rifle expecting new condition. I recieved a severely blemished one instead. I was told it would be replaced with a new one. It wasnt, I was refunded without any notification. Then I pursued the issue further to re-purchase a replacement they couldnt be bothered to call me back. I would say that is poor customer service.
    Last edited by close range; 10-30-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    getting wet in beautiful BC