Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Got My Alaskan Scout: Doesn't Look Right

Quote Originally Posted by Gunoholic View Post
    I'd take the refund and breathe a sigh of relief to be rid of the thing.
    Congrats on most post count in a single thread that all say the exact same thing.

It is a very well made tool and Its not as bad as OP but not as it should be.

Id like it back but not anywhere near the price. Unfortunate situation for wanstalls and I hope to get one in the future without imperfection.
    Perhaps this setback will have a silver lining and better finish in the future.

I was quite looking forward to this piece and I am only let down at whoever decided to ship them dry.

The quality otherwise was outstanding.

Now please go troll somewhere else, your job is more than done here. Unless you have another way of saying the exact same thing you have already said in your previous 40 posts in this thread.

Edit for accuracy. Its 21 posts/191 thus far. Not 40, sorry for exaggerating.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer buzzmagoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    My last chiappa had a tensioning screw in the front sight that you could tighten to snug up the blade in it's dovetail. Do these guns still have that feature, or is it just a plain dovetail sight?
    Its a slide in no locking screw

Quote Originally Posted by H.K.Glock 007 View Post
    Id like it back but not anywhere near the price. Unfortunate situation for wanstalls and I hope to get one in the future without imperfection.

I was quite looking forward to this piece and I am only let down at whoever decided to ship them dry.
    Being "shipped dry" doesn't come close to explaining the condition of the finish on the rifle the OP posted. Especially when you consider what the whole point of a protective plating is.
    That's due to half-assed chrome plating, likely improper preparation of the metal prior to the process or some other contamination along the way. They very likely looked like crap right out of the tank, the fact they still made it out of the factory is pretty much in line from what i've heard about Chiappa. Unacceptable given the price point and limited nature of these firearms, they could at least try.
    When Wanstalls posted the pictures of the first run of these rifles they looked fairly nice and I decided to turn a blind eye to past issues with stuff coming Chiappa because it did make for a nice attractive package, but clearly some more caution was warranted. That and some people reporting the take down threading being either far too tight or far too loose (search, there's been a couple reports) makes me question the tolerances and just about everything else about these rifles.
    Really glad I missed the second run now.

tl;dr, don't gett buttmad at Gunoholic for calling a turd a turd.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose762 View Post
    Being "shipped dry" doesn't come close to explaining the condition of the finish on the rifle the OP posted. Especially when you consider what the whole point of a protective plating is.
    That's due to half-assed chrome plating, likely improper preparation of the metal prior to the process or some other contamination along the way. They very likely looked like crap right out of the tank, the fact they still made it out of the factory is pretty much in line from what i've heard about Chiappa. Unacceptable given the price point and limited nature of these firearms, they could at least try.
    When Wanstalls posted the pictures of the first run of these rifles they looked fairly nice and I decided to turn a blind eye to past issues with stuff coming Chiappa because it did make for a nice attractive package, but clearly some more caution was warranted. That and some people reporting the take down threading being either far too tight or far too loose (search, there's been a couple reports) makes me question the tolerances and just about everything else about these rifles.
    Really glad I missed the second run now.

tl;dr, don't gett buttmad at Gunoholic for calling a turd a turd.
    I think that you two are the ones that are buttmad. Or just happy you didn't have the $$$ required to purchase one or something. I don't know. Anyways, you didn't/couldn't get one and now you are commenting on something you have never even touched. I had one in my hands. Besides finish, it felt top notch. I have one or two firearms to compare it with and I would happily welcome it into my clan if it were spotless.
    You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

CGN frequent flyer
    Op has a legit complaint, surprised to here how it was resolved.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob_ View Post
    Op has a legit complaint, surprised to here how it was resolved.
    It wasn't really a resolution, they told him he would get a replacement rifle and then did nothing untill he called days later and they issued a refund instead with no explanation as to why he didn't get a replacement.

just going by what was written here.
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H.K.Glock 007 View Post
    Congrats on most post count in a single thread that all say the exact same thing.

It is a very well made tool and Its not as bad as OP but not as it should be.

The quality otherwise was outstanding.

Now please go troll somewhere else, your job is more than done here. Unless you have another way of saying the exact same thing you have already said in your previous 40 posts in this thread.

Edit for accuracy. Its 21 posts/191 thus far. Not 40, sorry for exaggerating.
    I have a background in materials engineering and manufacturing. My personal opinion is that our rifle is not a victim of being shipped dry, but rather the victim of a botched hard-chroming job. It looks like the chemical process was contaminated or the reaction allowed t continue post-process. No amount of preservative can fix that.

My view - Wantsalls deserves an F grade on this one. I've bought lots of stuff from them and always been satisfied, but if I had this experience you had, it would be my last with them. Some guy further down the waiting list got the rifle you should have got.

When you have a small limited edition run with more demand than there are rifles, you OPEN ALL 20 BOXES and visually glance at the rifle to make sure it's the right model, the stocks aren't visibly cracked, the guns aren't rusted, etc. I can see not doing this withe a bone-stock firearm you can replace for the customer easily if it isn;t right, but not in this case. And Chiappa is kinda known for spotty QA/QC to boot.

I feel for you. It's too bad they didn't make it right for you. I believe IRUNGUNS, another dealer on CGN, has the same rifles available (not limited edition) but with 16" barrels if that helps you out.
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    It wasn't really a resolution, they told him he would get a replacement rifle and then did nothing untill he called days later and they issued a refund instead with no explanation as to why he didn't get a replacement.

just going by what was written here.
    yup, we are on the same page here, they definitely dropped the ball, feel bad for the OP. I would be pissed if I opened the box and that was what I saw, plus they don't seem to have done anything to fix the issue.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjsudbury's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noob_ View Post
    yup, we are on the same page here, they definitely dropped the ball, feel bad for the OP. I would be pissed if I opened the box and that was what I saw, plus they don't seem to have done anything to fix the issue.
    To be fair to Wanstalls, I don't think there was much they could do but give a refund. This was a limited item, and they were all sold out. I expect that there will be a few more people getting refunds, and wanstalls will be shipping back a bunch of sub-par firearms to Chiappa. If they have learned their lesson, they won't be selling any more Chiappa schiit

CGN frequent flyer boss351cleveland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    I have a background in materials engineering and manufacturing. My personal opinion is that our rifle is not a victim of being shipped dry, but rather the victim of a botched hard-chroming job. It looks like the chemical process was contaminated or the reaction allowed t continue post-process. No amount of preservative can fix that.

bingo! If the chemicals are not neutralized completely and left on the finish they will damage it . Watch out those are some nasty chemicals too , wash your hands after handling it.
    Last edited by boss351cleveland; 11-02-2014 at 06:54 PM.