Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: Got My Alaskan Scout: Doesn't Look Right

Sorry, wrong choice of word(s). Durable does not best represent what I meant.

I'll rephrase, the finish marks up very easily. I didn't pussyfoot around and gave it a good cleaning. The finish did clean up nice, with one exception, the gate. Where the nose of the bullets push and slide against the gate, that definitely shows wear after only 25 rounds.

It's growing on me, and fast. It is time to say bye to the Rossi 92.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    All matte finishes will mar up with forcible contact with lead or another metal.
    If I bought one of these, I want it to look brand new initially.
    Then, I'd want it to look bloody well used!
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by eatredmeat157 View Post
    Someone get the .gif of the guy clapping in black&white, STAT

Good job Wanstalls! *applause*

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Two things come to mind here.

1. Wanstall's reputation for good customer service appears to be warranted.

2. "$1400" and "Chiappa" don't belong in the same sentence! (I thought I might have wanted one of their M1 carbines until I had a chance to handle one)

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by kalsc View Post
    Sorry, wrong choice of word(s). Durable does not best represent what I meant.

I'll rephrase, the finish marks up very easily. I didn't pussyfoot around and gave it a good cleaning. The finish did clean up nice, with one exception, the gate. Where the nose of the bullets push and slide against the gate, that definitely shows wear after only 25 rounds.

It's growing on me, and fast. It is time to say bye to the Rossi 92.
    I wouldn't be too hasty.
    You'll find that the Rossi 92 over the long term is the better gun though it is 1/3 the money of the Chiappa.
    The run of Chiappa rifles discussed on thsi thread haven't been out of the box a week and there are problems already.

Over the years I have bought and sold both Chiappa and Rossi leverguns.
    The Chippas are smoother out of the box.
    The Rossi rifle usually need some smoothing and polishing.
    BUT
    The Rossi rifles though a fraction of the price are the more durable and accurate gun over the long term.
    I currently own 3 original pre-safety Amadeo Rossi 92s (357, 44, 454) and one Chiappa 92.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by LeverActionBandit View Post
    Not surprised, i've herd from two of my local dealers to stay away from chiappa. Only they warned me that the operation of there firearms was poor. I guess they suck in both areas.
    I've owned a dozen Chiappa and Rossi 92 rifles over the years and still own 3 Rossi 92 rifles and 1 Chiappa 92.
    The Chiappa guns are 2 or 3 times the price of the Rossi rifles and are smoother out of the box but after a little smoothing and polishing the Rossi 92 is the much better gun.
    With both you have to thoroughly inspect and function test them before buying.
    The new Marlin leverguns manufactured this year put both the Rossi and Chiappa rifles to shame for fit/finish and workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by close range View Post
    I just talked to Gary. He is paying to ship the rifle back and told me he has a replacement set aside that he will ship out to me.
    In my opinion its a +1 for Wanstalls and a big -1 for Chiappa.
    Im hoping that with proper care my replacement rifle will provide years of service. If it were'nt for the fact that a short-barrelled lever action takedown was so scarce I would ask for a refund and go to another manufacturer. I'll give Chiappa another chance just because I dont have the option to buy a similar product from someone else and at similar price point.
    glad they are making it right, but shouldnt the stores do a quick once over on the rifle before shipping it out?
    ----------
    ez8
    ----------

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunoholic View Post
    I wouldn't be too hasty.
    You'll find that the Rossi 92 over the long term is the better gun though it is 1/3 the money of the Chiappa.
    The run of Chiappa rifles discussed on thsi thread haven't been out of the box a week and there are problems already.

Over the years I have bought and sold both Chiappa and Rossi leverguns.
    The Chippas are smoother out of the box.

The Rossi rifle usually need some smoothing and polishing.
    BUT
    The Rossi rifles though a fraction of the price are the more durable and accurate gun over the long term.
    I currently own 3 original pre-safety Amadeo Rossi 92s (357, 44, 454) and one Chiappa 92.
    So, what we need is for Rossi to make these in stainless for half the price! I would be in for one and so would a friend!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    So, what we need is for Rossi to make these in stainless for half the price! I would be in for one and so would a friend!
    Rossi makes stainless versions of their R92 line.
    I can't stress enough that these rifles (both Chiappas and Rossis) need to be inspected and function tested before you lay the cash or the plastic down.
    Quality control on basic production line guns in this competitive marketplace is a thing of the past with the Miroku Winchesters being perhaps the exception but these are really custom guns.
    YOU the buyer are the quality control inspectors.
    If the store won't let me pre-purchase check the gun I walk out.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
    i though the finish was support to be durable i hope it is … "these exclusive rifles have a matte hard chrome finish to resist the elements"
    Sounds like sales to me.
    More like the cheap Rossi "shoe polish" finish that washes off in the rain.
    If I'm going to pay Miroku Winchester prices I'll buy a Miroku Winchester. I own 2 Mirokus (a 94 and a 1886 EL and they're fantastic rifles).
    If I want to buy a "roll the dice" Rossi I can get one of those for less than half the $1400+ price these Chiappas sold for.
    These Chiappa guns seem to be Rossi quality at Miroku prices.
    I thought about buying one of these Chiappas and would have for 1/3 the money they were advertised at.