Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: Got My Alaskan Scout: Doesn't Look Right

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by RedApe View Post
    this thread should be locked since the problem is now rectified...
    How is the problem rectified with most possibly affected guns from the same manufacturing run still in transit to new owners?

A word to the wise: If I was a dealer I'd be checking any new inventory from Chiappa with a microscope before sending it out to customers.
    Sometimes you just gotta open the box. No other way of knowing what's in it.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by fortis risk View Post
    I was going to buy one of these in great part for how it looked. Not a chance now.
    My idea was as a packsack protection/survival gun that could withstand the elements.
    Couldn't afford the $1400 price tag though.
    Seems these guns can't even withstand the trip from the dealer to the new owners residence.
    A stainless Rossi 92 trapper (16" bbl) would have been a much better buy for 1/3 the money of these Chiappas.
    The Rossi 92s are fantastic rifles after cleaning and polishing.
    I'll be steering clear of Chiappas from now on.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    surprised it would get shipped out in that condition as a new rifle from a retailer. Reminds me of another recent thread about a Tavor from another vendor.
    I was thinking the guy with Redding dies that where in the wrong box myself.
    How has this played out...found the answer to the question....
    Rob
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

BANNED
    I've got an old pre-safety Amadeo Rossi m92 in 454 Casull/45LC that I bought for less than $300.
    After stripping it down and deburring and polishing the parts it is smooth as churned butter and accurate as a bolt action.
    I had to rub 2 coats of Tru-oil into the jungle wood stock to make the stock weather resistant enough to shed water as the factory finish was like shoe polish that washed off in the rain.
    I expected to do a little cleaning, fixing and polishing for this cheapskate rifle but not for a gun that costs 7 times as much.
    I can't complain about a gun being junk for a less than $300 purchase price but for $1400 I want perfection.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Claven2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunoholic View Post
    You buy a stainless steel gun to use in wetter climates because they are supposedly rust resistant and these ones are coming out of the box rusty and corroded.
    Except that Chiappa isn't selling stainless guns - they are selling their normal carbon guns with a chrome plating on them. If you want a stainless 92, you still have to buy a Rossi. Which is fine, they are less expensive, are built better, and are generally more likely to work out of the box in my experience.

Neither the Chiappa nor the Rossi comes with nice black walnut furniture like a winchester though. The chipper uses european walnut which is softer, too light a shade (hence they stain them), and has different grain. The Rossis come with some mystery hardwood that works OK, but is also not as good as black walnut.
    Keeping it real on the range since before there was a CGN.

send it back - its junk

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mr00jimbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    Except that Chiappa isn't selling stainless guns - they are selling their normal carbon guns with a chrome plating on them. If you want a stainless 92, you still have to buy a Rossi. Which is fine, they are less expensive, are built better, and are generally more likely to work out of the box in my experience.

Neither the Chiappa nor the Rossi comes with nice black walnut furniture like a winchester though. The chipper uses european walnut which is softer, too light a shade (hence they stain them), and has different grain. The Rossis come with some mystery hardwood that works OK, but is also not as good as black walnut.
    My Winchester/aka Miroku both seem to have pretty wood

And my other one with my Marlin 1894 Cowboy

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post

I find Tru-oil the best weather proofing treatment for the Rossi jungle wood.
    I apply 2 well rubbed in coats.
    Mine looks and feels just like the walnut on my pre-64 Winchester 94s.

BANNED
    The newer Marlins (Remington) made within the year are the best mass production lever guns made now.
    The fit and finish is not quite up to the standard of the old "JM" Marlins but they are infinitely better than these Chiappas which cost more than double what a stainless steel Marlin Guide Gun costs.
    I have a Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 bought last year and never a functionality or finish problem and it produces 1 MOA accuracy with the Hornady 325 grain FTX ammo.
    If you want a reliable stainless steel levergun with a real walnut stock the newer Marlin Guide Guns are the way to go.
    1/2 the money and a lot better quality than the Chiappa rifles.

CGN Regular
    Just checked mine out. All is good (thankfully).