Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 818202122232425262728

Thread: Got My Alaskan Scout: Doesn't Look Right

Quote Originally Posted by close range View Post
    ...I would guess Calibre is reviewing the new finish rifles.
    That's what I'm hoping it is, but it still seems very sketchy to not even cover the matter at all when doing a review of a firearm that has had such a significant fallout.

It deserved some sort of mention, because without it, especially with the Chiappa/Wanstalls ad in the same issue, the optics are very bad.

It would have clarified everything to just mention "There were issues with the first run that have all been rectified with this newer coating", but hiding it seems wrong.

CGN frequent flyer
    I wouldn't touch these given what happened before.

Got one from Wanstall's 3 weeks ago. Mine is flawless. And its a shooter! I have actually not a single complaint. Takes my handloads and the "tailor mades" no problem. And its a very beautiful gun. I would do it all over again.

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by close range View Post
    All the newer production Alaskan models I have seen have a different finish on them Almost a semi-gloss nickel look. Seems much higher quality. This includes the newer 44 mag takedowns and the 45-70 takedowns. I have handled both and my first thought was "this is the finish these should have had from the start".
    I would guess Calibre is reviewing the new finish rifles.
    Yes they are reviewing the 2nd run models, they have the new finish and run flawless.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by WanstallsOnline View Post
    Yes they are reviewing the 2nd run models, they have the new finish and run flawless.

Gary
    That's great, and thank you for clarifying, but for the sake of full disclosure it deserves mentioning that the first run of this model had significant (and public) issues.

I will give Mr Fritter credit that he has replied to me in great length stating that the article/advertising were separate issues, but in my opinion that does not deflect the bad optics of this.

There were too many people who laid down significant money and received a rusted/pitted gun to have that go unmentioned, and it all could have been alleviated by just coming out and saying as much.

Is there any harm in saying "The first version was a swing and a miss, but in this version we've solved everything"? If anything, that's the right way to do optics.

The wrong way to do optics is to be oblivious to the first generation's issues, and then come out with an issue that has a glowing review a few pages after a paid advertisement.

Is it possible that this second gen Alaskan is an amazing firearm worth every penny? Absolutely. But the first gen's lessons learned should have been front and centre of the review.

CGN frequent flyer lil_juiced_coupe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WanstallsOnline View Post
    A lot of Chiappa bashing here and because of the chroming issue it is agreed, warranted...But just a few points from us to clarify a few things.

1) We were big fans of the Chiappa line and we still are despite the issues on our last run. We have been carrying Chiappa with great success over many years which enabled this project to get off the ground in the first place. Of the 60 guns we ordered in two ship dates, all 30 on the first were in great condition and were a huge success but unfortunately we have found 7-8 on this last run to have some finish issues and were not cleaned after test firing.

2) We offered a $100 rebate from Chiappa (which we found to be unfortunately quite low) so we matched it ourselves for anybody who wanted to keep the rifle with finish issues. Alternatively we offered a full refund.

3) At the time the issue was posted on CGN we only had one rifle in stock (we held for possible warranty claim) to replace defective rifles. Most everyone who had the defective rifle would have preferred to switch for a replacement but since it was a limited run we were only able to do this for 1 customer.

4) We did check two rifles upon delivery to us before we shipped out the remainder. They looked great and actions were smooth as all Chiappa products do, so we saw no need to check the rest of the remainder of the rifles as we have not seen or were expecting any finish issues. As we have future projects in the pipeline, we WILL QC every rifle moving forward.

5) The Takedowns ARE tight and are designed to broken in. If they were made too loose, im sure there would be a lot of complaining. I personally have a 16" version and after some breaking in and lubing it is quite slick now.

6) Also we did have 1 Takedown become available on Monday of this week as a customer who had a deposit on one decided to back out, so we sold it at full retail as it was is in great condition. Unfortunately we have refunded everyone who has had previous issues.

7) And yes we do have the returned ones available for sale @ $200 off if anyone is interested. Of the 5 we have here, we only pulled one that we thought was not fit for sale and the others are in decent shape. For those who want a bush gun that may and will get banged up, the 12", all weather take down with skinner sights is still a pretty good deal at just over 1k.

Obviously we did not want to see these guns arrive in this condition let alone go out in this condition, so we learned for next time! They are still a kick ass little lever gun and we will continue to work with Chiappa on some new and exciting projects in the New year! For those who have ordered and are happy with their rifles we appreciate your business, for those who have returned there rifles for a refund we apologize on the behalf of Chiappa as this was not our intent.

Anyways just some info from us on the issue...

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by lil_juiced_coupe View Post