Thread: Cold room / gun safe conversion ?

Cold room / gun safe conversion ?

Hi all looking for advice/insight into a conversion project I'm looking at. When I moved into my place a few years ago the previous owners had finished the cold room, dry wall, raised hardwood floors, lighting etc. my wife claimed it as a darkroom/photo lab, but has never used it. My gun collection is growing and I've decided use it or lose it! I was wondering what legal merits a gun safe has to have to be legal? I'm assuming foot thick concrete walls suffice and obviously a type of indoor security door. I'm assuming the ceiling is simply drywall, would I have to reinforce this? And what about temp/humidity control? Is this even legal? Any insight/advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

CGN Regular
    The regs only mention "a room designed for gun storage"

But, you will get as many opinions as answers.
    Fact: in 100% of the fake guns related shootings the victims is always the one with the fake gun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kennymo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by popol View Post
    The regs only mention "a room designed for gun storage"

But, you will get as many opinions as answers.
    Pretty much.... From your description I'd say install a decent solid wood or metal door with a deadbolt and you're good to go. I assume there's power inside, a dehumidifier would be a good idea. Legally a locked closet is good enough for non restricted firearms.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer berger's Avatar
    Generally cold rooms (the ones I have had) are under front stoops etc and tend to be all concrete. Install a steel door and you have a perfectly safe gun room. As mentioned, get yourself a good dehumidifier in there.
    Prost!

Berger

I did exactly what your intending before we sold our last place. The cold-room was located directly behind and below the front concrete steps.
    It was 1 foot thick solid concrete on 4 walls (one 4" outdoor vent that was filled-in with reinforced concrete). I built a door using 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood epoxy laminated & lag bolted together.
    The door was hidden by a sliding false wall in the furnace room - unless a person knew it was there, I doubt anyone would find it.

The only weak area would have been the ceiling (if you knew it was there, you could cut through the kitchen floor above). I simply drilled rebar to the fooring joists every 4 inches.

It was framed; wired for electrical, alarm and IP Camera; spray foam insulated, drywalled and painted. I will say it looked amazing when it was done.
    It more than met any "normal" person's interpretation or opinion of the regs; but remember that opinions are like a$$h--es - everybody has one!
    You are either trained or untrained, and you
    will always fall to the level of your training.

Nice, thanks for the input. The room is already wired, lights and 2-3 outlets . My father in-law is in doors and windows so I'm going to see if he has any steel reinforced security doors I can get a decent price on. It's not a very big room 4x8 would be pushing it so I'm thinking any portable dehumidifier should do the trick. Maybe even see if I can set up a reloading station on one side depending on how I design the other to fit the maximum number of firearms, not that I have a ton of them.....yet.

BANNED
    Doubt there's much that would be harder to break into than 4" plus of concrete. There is no legal definition of either a safe or safe storage. A lockable door on the room is enough.
    I'd put a hygrometer in the room before buying a dehumidifier. Not all 'cold rooms' are wet. Mind you, I'd likely be easier and less expensive to find a dehumidifier. A light bulb left on all the time will keep a small room just warm enough to prevent rusting too.
    You do have to tell us how taking your wife's dark room works out. snicker.