Thread: Non club member (with rPAL) purchasing Restricted firearm on EE

Non club member (with rPAL) purchasing Restricted firearm on EE

I am a new shooter with an rPAL who wants to join a club for target shooting. I have been invited to join the club, and intend to do so for various disciplines of shooting, including pistol, this spring.

I was told by the instructor at the club that I need to OWN a restricted firearm before an LTATT can be applied for.

I have seen a lot of great pistols on the EE, and have had a successful transaction on EE for a long-gun. I would potentially like to purchase my first handgun from a fellow CGN member on the EE.

^^^^^
    above is all just background. Here is the question:

Will a seller on EE be be guaranteed approval for a short term ATT by the CFO to transfer the firearm to someone in my situation? I accept that as the buyer I am expected to initiate an EMT as a condition of an "I'll take it" offer -- but I have reservations about making an offer on anything with the uncertainty of a guaranteed LEGAL transfer.

Any info appreciated

CGN Regular
    The transfer will only be approved if you are either using it for target practice or collecting. For target practice you will need to send in proof of club membership and for collecting you will need to fill out a form and have that approved first.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    Exactly.
    So join the club, get a club membership card, buy a restricted, then have the club apply for your ATT

shouldn't be any issues

Hey R, Thank you for your response. That was my initial understanding of the process.

So in either case IT WILL BE MY RESPONSIBILITY to provide additional information to the CFO in order to process a STLTT from a prospective seller. My new question to experienced sellers of restricted firearms on the EE forum is: what DOCUMENTATION do I have to show you (or the CFO) to initiate the legal transfer of a restricted firearm.

I am not a collector, I am a prospective member of a registered gun club with a handgun range with the intent of target shooting. I am O.K. with waiting until I pay my dues in the spring and become an "Official" member, but what information will I have to provide you (the prospective seller) with to ensure a smooth transaction?

Do I just show you my rPAL, give you my club name, an EMT, and wait for my gun in the mail? Is the process more elaborate? Again -- I'm a little wary about handing over a weeks wages without the guarantee of something in return.

membership card? Do I show that to the prospective seller, who in turn shows to to the CFO?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChef View Post
    membership card? Do I show that to the prospective seller, who in turn shows to to the CFO?
    LTATT won't be an issue. STATT from an EE seller is my concern.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Bigbubba's Avatar
    All you have to give the seller is your name, your RPAL, address etc. And of course Money....

They will call CFC to start transfer, they will be given a reference # which they will pass on to you
    You will call CFC with said reference # and the CFC person will complete the transfer.
    The transfer documents will then go to the CFO's office for your Province (ONT) and the CFO for ONT will (eventually) approve it
    At which time the seller will be able to send it to you (Or you pick up whatever the arrangement is)
    You will need a short term ATT to go get it and bring it home
    You will then get a ATT from your club to take it back and forth from said club to your residence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbubba View Post
    All you have to give the seller is your name, your RPAL, address etc. And of course Money....

They will call CFC to start transfer, they will be given a reference # which they will pass on to you
    You will call CFC with said reference # and the CFC person will complete the transfer.
    The transfer documents will then go to the CFO's office for your Province (ONT) and the CFO for ONT will (eventually) approve it
    At which time the seller will be able to send it to you (Or you pick up whatever the arrangement is)
    You will need a short term ATT to go get it and bring it home
    You will then get a ATT from your club to take it back and forth from said club to your residence.
    Thanks BB,

Is that the same process for buying from a brick-and-mortar seller? If I drive form my rural community to a retailer and decide to buy restricted firearm should I _expect_ to pay money, drive home empty handed, and then drive back at a later date to pick up the firearm once the transfer (STATT) has been approved?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheChef View Post
    Thanks BB,

Is that the same process for buying from a brick-and-mortar seller? If I drive form my rural community to a retailer and decide to buy restricted firearm should I _expect_ to pay money, drive home empty handed, and then drive back at a later date to pick up the firearm once the transfer (STATT) has been approved?
    yes

Thanks all for helping me manage my expectations.
    Last edited by TheChef; 10-27-2014 at 09:21 AM.