Thread: Selling a firearm online.

Selling a firearm online.

Hey everyone,
    I had a couple of questions about selling fire arms online.
    1. If I have a buyer for a restricted rifle, would I send it in a locked gun case like I would whenever I transport it?
    2. If I were to request EMT would I ship after funds are received or while funds are in lieu?
    3. Would I have to put the gun case inside of another box?
    4. Do I need his/her pal # to ensure that he/she had a restricted license?
    5. Do I need to wait for the transfer to finish through the RCMP?
    6. If transfer needs to take place & time would a letter suffice shipped with the rifle.
    I ask these questions
    A) because I want to be courteous to the buyer
    B) I don't want to get in trouble with "the man"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    1. If I have a buyer for a restricted rifle, would I send it in a locked gun case like I would whenever I transport it?
    Yes. The best option for this is to use a combination lock, as that avoids the issue of having to send a key, or, zipties can work as well but they are more prone to casual breakage.

2. If I were to request EMT would I ship after funds are received or while funds are in lieu?
    Generally, funds are secured before the package is shipped. However, in most cases I will use my phone to deposit the money at the post office.

This is strongly recommended. People know what gun cases look like, and that makes them obvious targets. Plus a little extra padding and protection never hurts.

Yes. You will need the buyer's full legal name, address, PAL, and it's best to have their phone number or other contact information as well. You will also need all the relevant information for the firearm in question, as it appears on the registration certificate.

Yes. You must call the CFC to initiate the transfer to the buyer. Then the buyer will need to contact the CFC to complete the transfer the transfer. Once the transfer is completed you will either need to call the CFO to request an ATT to the post office, or arrange door-to-door service via a courier service. The buyer will then need to contact his CFO to request an ATT to bring the gun home, or arrange to be home when the courier delivers the package. The CFC will mail a new registration certificate to the buyer, that usually takes a week or two to arrive. Your old registration certificate is now invalid.

6. If transfer needs to take place & time would a letter suffice shipped with the rifle.
    No. The transfer of registration must take place before the buyer takes possession.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer RobertMcC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cacster View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I had a couple of questions about selling fire arms online.
    I ask these questions
    A) because I want to be courteous to the buyer
    B) I don't want to get in trouble with "the man"
    Restricted you must transfer the gun ( totally different then non restricted, here is my license, here's money, gimme it ) calling like said above 1 800 731 4000, Your gonna need his name, license number sometimes ask for the phone number. Which can take up to a week to complete and I wouldn't send the firearm till the transfer is complete. Keep calling the CFC/CFO till they say yet, some wait till they physically get the TAN # paperwork in their hands.

I buy cheap pad locks, and trigger/cable lock. Tape a keys in the box, or I send them separate. The buyer should understand that these take time, If he doesn't, and wants it right away, flags should be poping up. Normal restricted transfer can take up to a week before I can get the rifle sent out. But keep in communication, check every 2nd day with the cfo, keep in contact with the buyer daily. I normally will ask if he wants check, if you hear something let me know.