Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ammo Can with lock considered safe storage?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer berger's Avatar
    Ammunition does not need to be locked up, assuming you follow the storage requirements for your firearms:

Storing Firearms Safely

Unload and lock your firearms!

Store the ammunition separately or lock it up. It can be stored in the same locked container as the firearms.
    Prost!

Berger

What I like about our laws and the firearms act is they are vague enough that they can be interpreted anyway cops or prosecutors want. Just ask someone who's been charged like Ian Thompson, who was charged with unsafe storage of ammo because he had it in his night stand... in the end he won but at the cost of $100,000 plus in legal bills.

So yes....
    There is no legal requirement to lock up your ammo at all. You can store in grocery bags if you want, you just can leave it sitting on your front step or places where anyone can access it.
    But you might want to rethink that and lock your ammo up anyway... I keep mine locked in both ammo cans and a locked cabinet, both are easy to access but require either a key or combination to access. Its beyond the requirement but makes it harder for some cop to try and get you charged.

FYI it is legal to have ammo & firearms in the same case, safe or cabinet, they just can't be loaded in the gun, the magazines can be loaded however. I keep my 9mm in my biometric safe with magazine right next to the firearm myself its perfectly legal
    "An educated mind that is not an open mind is a programmed mind" [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    well. on this note, a little more details. I was thinking about a plastic one like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Molded-Products...s=mtm+ammo+can

and waiting for the stackon cabinet on sale so that I can buy one or two for ammo.
    Still stronger and more secure than a regular closet door.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    Some are fine with interpreting the law and following the bare minimum requirements. Some are not.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by EL34/6L6 View Post
    Some are fine with interpreting the law and following the bare minimum requirements. Some are not.
    some have more defense money some don't

Oh hey OP... I was in the Canadian tire in White Rock yesterday and they had Plano ammo cans for $5.99 regular $11.99

LOOKS LIKE ITS ALL CTs..... great deal, I have about 10 of these already, you can put a standard padlock on this or with a little reaming with a drill you can put a larger padlock... I get the 10 pack locks from Princess auto that all have the same key, works awesome and has about a dozen keys

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/search...;viewMode=grid

buy cheap stack deep
    Last edited by Corry; 10-30-2014 at 12:04 PM.

CGN frequent flyer
    agreed that's what's on the paper which is as clear as mud.
    just want to see what's the general practice out there with everyone. looks like we are pretty much on the same page.

just being over paranoid, I will lock the ammo box, put some loop hook on the wall and use targus laptop lock to lock them. that should definitely do it until I see some ammo cabinet deal.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Roc View Post
    I don't even think it needs to be locked.
    CSSA Life Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Travis Bickle's Avatar
    If it's in your house and not stored next to the stove or furnace pilot light or directly next to your unsecure firearms, then it's safe and secure enough Sir.
    Last edited by Travis Bickle; 10-30-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    Guns only have two natural enemies; politicians and rust.

Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    well. on this note, a little more details. I was thinking about a plastic one like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Molded-Products...s=mtm+ammo+can

and waiting for the stackon cabinet on sale so that I can buy one or two for ammo.
    Here is the annoying thing: that ammo can does not fit the depth of the CTC cabinet - at least the orientation I want to place it.
    The smaller "field can" does. So measure

Bury it in the yard.

sorry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast