Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ammo Can with lock considered safe storage?

CGN frequent flyer

Is Ammo Can with lock considered safe storage?

I know this topic has been discussed zillion times, but still not quite get it. Can I store my ammo in an ammo can(can hold 1000 rounds) with lock on it and consider it meets the safe storage requirements? My safe is getting crowed.
    CSSA Life Member

I'm not sure of the answer to your question. But, I have a separate ammo safe for mine. It holds about 6000 rounds of various calibres.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer EL34/6L6's Avatar
    I have ammo locked in ammo cans.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

If a locked bedroom closet is sufficient for NR firearms, why wouldn't a steel ammo can be sufficient for ammunition?

Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    I know this topic has been discussed zillion times, but still not quite get it. Can I store my ammo in an ammo can(can hold 1000 rounds) with lock on it and consider it meets the safe storage requirements? My safe is getting crowed.
    Yes

Here is what the law is for ammo. Ammo is not regulated by the firearms act.

281. (1) When small arms cartridges are stored in a dwelling, they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition. People not authorized by the user must not be given unlimited access to the cartridges.
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2013-211/page-87.html#docCont

Thats it.

Shawn

CGN frequent flyer
    well. on this note, a little more details. I was thinking about a plastic one like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Molded-Products...s=mtm+ammo+can

and waiting for the stackon cabinet on sale so that I can buy one or two for ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane63 View Post
    If a locked bedroom closet is sufficient for NR firearms, why wouldn't a steel ammo can be sufficient for ammunition?
    CSSA Life Member

well. on this note, a little more details. I was thinking about a plastic one like this: http://www.amazon.ca/Molded-Products...s=mtm+ammo+can

and waiting for the stackon cabinet on sale so that I can buy one or two for ammo.
    Mine are plastic too. Of the Cabelas and Plano variety.
    . . . . . . . . . . . <*(((>>+. . . . . .{• )))))></. . . . . .>°)))÷÷<€ . . . . . . . . . . .

There is no legal requirement to lock up your ammo at all. You can store in grocery bags if you want, you just can leave it sitting on your front step or places where anyone can access it.

Shawn

I don't even think it needs to be locked.

I lock it to restrict access to non pal holders in the home.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast