Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Modern Hunter - Pics & Video Thread

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    This is what I am probably going to order. Except no ambi safety or magazine release and an Accu shot bipod instead of a Sierra. Night force NXS 5.5-22x56

CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JayCarver View Post
    Is the review in the Caliber magazine written by TVPP or someone else? Just Curious.
    Oh hi. Yes, the Calibre article is written by me. The video is a companion piece.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orthoboy View Post
    Thanks tvpp. Great video, nice production values too. Go ATRS!
    Yes, Thank You!! TVPP Great work!
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

A heavier barrel is obviously better for heat resistance in sustained firing. The other advantage while firing cold bore is barrel rigidity. I'm no expert, but barrel regidity seems like the least important of all combined factors (skill, load, craftsmanship, glass, etc) when considering cold bore shooting.

While I opted for a CF barrel, I don't plan on doing too much sustained firing. I value throat and general barrel life more. That is not to say I won't enjoy the odd string here or there

Every contour is still a match grade barrel. I say go for it!

Edit: while this isn't an article about barrel rigidity, it is still an interesting read. the truth about barrel length, muzzle velocity, and accuracy
    Last edited by moogles; 02-13-2015 at 11:45 PM.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Davy Crockett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeTheThrower View Post
    The part that I agreed with from the comment that I posted is this: I'd be much more proud and eager to buy a new Canadian made rifle if it wasn't a product of the world's stupidest gun laws. I'd rather see something new and different than AR Clone Number 674.
    None of it makes sense.

- as mentioned, a NR ACR is the same price as a base MH and only is available in one caliber
    - ATRS is a business, not a lobby group, not their job to go broke tilting at legal windmills
    - the AR is currently the best black rifle on the market and the one with the biggest support base. Why reinvent the wheel when what the vast majority want is an NR AR clone?
    - creating a completely new design would be a foolish gamble, both in terms of reliability, achieving NR status and return on investment.
    - US ain't buying any new design - even ones they can already easily get - in any numbers anyways so who cares (see point #3)?
    - Initial response seems to indicate Canadians do want a NR AR clone, if it were somewhat cheaper and also in .223 I'd bet they could sell 10x as many.

The tone of the Youtube comment makes me wonder if it is one of the guys with a vendetta against ATRS? I don't know the back story on that but I can't think of one good reason to disparage this product other than cost or sour grapes.
    My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Davy Crockett". Use on this board in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board. Any use outside this forum, in whole or in part, requires my express written consent.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeTheThrower View Post
    The part that I agreed with from the comment that I posted is this: I'd be much more proud and eager to buy a new Canadian made rifle if it wasn't a product of the world's stupidest gun laws. I'd rather see something new and different than AR Clone Number 674.
    Not a problem. Contribute a million or more dollars and we can design a rifle as you wish. All new, not a clone of anything, Canadian made and then we can gamble that the powers that dictate will classify it as non restricted.

Now in reality there are many problems here. First is that the Canadian market is very small, and for many cheap is the norm.
    Canadians are by nature skeptics. Unless a product has a long and proven history the chances of a Canadian buying 1 is low. In the gun culture this is really prevalent. Probably worse that any other group in that regard.
    If you have followed the 3 year saga of our rifle you would see that despite essentially revamping Stoner's 60 year old and well proven design there are still many that question the operating system.

The US laws are very protectionist in so far as import of firearms from other countries. Case in point our clone of the AR15 is operationally identical to any of the over 100 US made AR 15s, yet as ours is not made in the USA has been deemed a "weapon of war" hence non admissible to the USA.
    I would expect this would hold true for any black type rifle we made. The US gun market is extremely well protected from outside imports.

As some have already pointed out, ATRS is a firearms manufacturing company, not a lobby group. So the question then becomes why is it the responsibility of a privately owned company to try and change laws that could be changed simply by people voting intelligently and voicing their concerns and dismay to the government. This would have a much greater effect on making change. If absolutely every citizen were to take the time and write a letter to tell their government representative that "if you do not work to make the changes I want I will vote for someone else" maybe the elected officials who are SUPPOSED to do as we ask, would.

We already have not 1 but 2 lobby groups trying to reform the draconian gun laws of this country. We do not need a third. We really only need ONE united front, but I seriously doubt this will ever happen.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Quote Originally Posted by zxcv View Post
    I think using the word 'clone' in reference to the MH rifle is not only a bit inaccurate, but it's pretty risky--the RCMP has a history of underhanded decisions based on public statements about a weapons capabilities/lineage. I think openly describing the MH as a clone puts future variants of an important *new* rifle at risk of being classified as mere take-offs of the AR family--which they are not!
    I see where you are going with this. It may be dangerous, but at some point the words clone and variant and derivative need to be legally spelled out.
    If you want to take the word variant to the extreme ALL guns are a variant or share common heritage or descent from a 13th century designed device where a stick that had a pipe attached to it and discharged a projectile by use of a propellant or explosive became the first firearm. Absolutely every other firearm shares this common lineage. THIS is what we need to get through the noggins of the government and the RCMP.

The Modern Hunter shares many features of all guns in that it has a barrel, a manor with which to discharge a round of ammo and to hold/aim it.
    There are only so many ways to make a wheel hence only so many ways to make a rifle. We chose to use features from many guns.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mic1076 View Post
    Hey I heard you got the fortis hand guards in can you please post a picture of a 18.5 inch light barrel with a 14 inch fortis handguard that's my baby
    I can get close... but not quite your exact request. This is a 12 inch fortis. :-)

CGN Ultra frequent flyer polskiogorki's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    I can get close... but not quite your exact request. This is a 12 inch fortis. :-)

That looks really good with the fortis.,. I was set on the jp, which one feels ergonomically better in your hand? Also does fortis offer something to mount a qd swivel to the side or bottom of that rail? Or are those qd holes at the very end and near the receiver? Looks almost like it but hard to tell.

I was at the Chilliwack gun show yesterday, met rick and got to see the modern hunter up close , I took it apart several times I was there for a good 30 min asking questions looking at the gun . I was really impressed with the fit and finish .it really feels good and looks great. rick said the guns should start going in 2 to 3
    weeks I cant wait

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast