Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Modern Hunter - Pics & Video Thread

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    No they are not but being as they now offer an 8 round mag we do not want to screw over those who own them by building a semi auto that employs the AI mags there by forcing those with 8 round mags to pin them.

50 BMG is not even a glimmer of thought.
    7 Rem Mag, 300 Win mag and possibly 338 Lapua are the only potential cartridges being thought of.
    Thank you on behalf of the community. I don't own a .338 - 8 round mag, and never will, but far too often it seems people will do the WRONG thing for the community as a whole for a buck.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Spectacular View Post
    Thank you on behalf of the community. I don't own a .338 - 8 round mag, and never will, but far too often it seems people will do the WRONG thing for the community as a whole for a buck.

Thank you!!
    With many new projects there can be unintended consequences. We are trying VERY hard to NOT screw over anyone in the gun culture by inadvertently using something that will result in undesirable secondary effects.
    There is no way we here at ATRS can know everything which is why we tend to pose questions to the forum on ideas we have prior to jumping in and making something. There is a massive amount of knowledge on the forums, so to use it on makes sense.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Having some Issues with updating this thread since creating a new username. In the mean time, you can check out these much requested pics of the Modern Hunter with a fixed A2 stock!

Last edited by ATRS Shaun; 03-02-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: more pics

Quote Originally Posted by C18cz858 View Post
    Any chance in getting this with a piston system? Or is that out of the question?
    My question would be why a piston system? Adds weight adds significant cost and decreases accuracy, not to mention we would be back to square 1 as far as legal classification.
    So short answer , no.

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

Why is piston system? i dont like direct gas systems. Not a huge fan
    Of a hot resed up bolt if I need to clean it quick, especially if your running old 7.62x51 . And as far as not as accurate,
    Its a semi auto that holds 5 rounds I dont think it matters. Plus pistons are twice as reliable in my opinion.
    I didnt know about the legal stuff, but I understand.
    Ill think about it guess. Good job by the way. Nice rifle.
    Thanks for your " short answer"

You have to keep in mind, these guns have match chambers, match barrels and match type triggers, so 7.62x51 is NOT advised. Nor is metal cased ammo. These guns are designed to be "accurate HUNTING rifles' NOT loose tolerance spray and pray type military looking rifles.
    Why anyone would dish out as it seems over $4000.00 and nearing $5000.00 on a rifle to shoot crap ammo out of it eludes me. I use these numbers simply as given the options and upgrades most of the rifles are coming in in between those figures. Very few have elected to go base model. This frankly surprises me.

We have yet to find any piston driven semi auto that will produce the accuracy the a DI gun does, plus as mentioned it would increase the rifles cost significantly. And limit guys for parts in the future should our business fail for some reason. Something a small company should concern itself with as even big companies have been known to disappear.
    The added benefit of running a standard AR gas tube is that they can be had anywhere and they are cheap and easy to replace.

5 years ago there were 61 companies manufacturing piston systems at SHOT show, this year only 4 were to be found, a google search of many companies that were offering piston system conversions shows they either cease to exist or have dropped them entirely.

Reliability really boils down to maintenance. As 90% of the AR15s that we see that have issues of some sort are piston driven, this also had in impact on our decision to go DI , DI has 60 years of proven experience, if it ain't broke......

CGN Ultra frequent flyer polskiogorki's Avatar
    What it the barrel length and contour on this gun? I think its the exaxt one i will get. .. also with the jp handguard i didnt see an option for the 6 oclock rail section for the bipod, dies it come with one or will any rail section work for the bottom? I sent you a pm regarding a different matter as well!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polskiogorki View Post
    What it the barrel length and contour on this gun? I think its the exaxt one i will get. .. also with the jp handguard i didnt see an option for the 6 oclock rail section for the bipod, dies it come with one or will any rail section work for the bottom? I sent you a pm regarding a different matter as well!
    Thanks

This is a 20" Medium Contour Stainless barrel, plus muzzle break.
    The JP handguard does not come with rails, but they can be added on your build sheet.

If you could please email info@albertatacticalrifle.com with any questions rather than PMs, it would be appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by polskiogorki View Post
    Wow really need to watch my spelling typing on the phone! If I order with an atrs brake will it come with a thread protector so i can remove brake for hunting or will that be an extra?
    It would be an additional $50 for a thread protector, in addition to the muzzle brake.

My opinion comes from personal experience. Everyones rifle is differant.
    My rifles cz/vz 58s run dirty chinese and bulgarian all day with no issues.
    As the piston takes most of the abuse, the internals stay fairly clean.
    I see some ar -15s that are running norinco 223.that start to flaw after 40 rounds.
    Then again I seen differant ar 15s that can take it. I can clean my rifles quick when there hot
    Lets effort to clean, and dont have to lube or clean them as much. I like them because I have alot
    Of experince with them. If I had more experince with direct gas I would probably like them more.
    Just my opinion. And no I cant back it because there are so many differant rifles and systems in each catagory
    It would be hard to make a fair judgement.
    from My opinion and experience pistons are better but im sure I can be proven wrong
    Just havent been yet
    Well spoken, and very honest. Our experiences have led us to designing this firearm, and direct impingement was intentionally chosen, as we felt it to be the better option for our goals. Relaiblility, Accuracy. Weight.
    Not meaning to say pistons aren't reliable, not in the least, however it would hinder the other two priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by mic1076 View Post
    Hi guys my modern hunter comes with 18.5 inch light barrel, 6 position stock, fortis handguard can you show me a picture of one like that when you get the parts together, I can't wait to see what it will look like. Thanks
    Soon we will be able to get pictures of many different configurations, and I'll be sure to take some pictures as they are heading out the door. At this moment though, I'm still waiting on Fortis.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast