Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how do you store your firearms?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer eaglesnester's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunoholic View Post
    You're lucky and probably don't live in the GTA.

As a person who lives in the GTA I know that if a gun gets stolen I'll get charged even if they are stored in steel vaults with walls 3 feet thick 100 feet under the ground and my yard perimeter enclosed with electrified fencing so I'll do my best to prevent that from happening.

My guns are stored in safes and the ammo in padlocked boxes.
    All of the above are stored in a locked room with one barred window.
    I own a trigger lock or a cable lock (lever actions) for each gun I own so I figure the best place to store the trigger lock when I'm not traveling is on the gun.
    So essentially my guns are trigger locked in the safes.
    Well above and beyond what the law requires.
    Of course they will charge U, the judge however will throw it out before U ever appear before him if indeed you did have your weapons secured as per law and undertook extraordinary efforts beyond the minimum requirement. Yes indeede my son I can be charged but never ever busted, that is if the rule of law means anything in Canada.

I live in the GTA, oh no! D:

My NR's are kept in a safe, some trigger locks on them. R's are kept inside that safe with trigger locks.
    Ammo? Just stored away in milsurp crates out of sight, too much to keep locked up with the guns. If Im cleaning guns in my house and I leave to grab snacks or whatever, I just trigger lock it to keep it safe for family if they go near my stuff.

Restricted trigger locked ,inside a hard to break into gun case with locks, inside a 650 pound safe. Non restricted trigger locked inside the safe. Ammunition stored in a locked container separately with one wireless security camera with a clear view . Overkill? Yes, but honestly it really does not require much extra for these extra safety measures. Yes, if a thief really wants my guns and I don't have many they will get them. But if I get dragged to court i can honestly say I went above and beyond the minimum legal requirements.

I have a CT cabinet. My rifles are in it undressed. I store my pistols in the same cabinet, but locked in a travel case with trigger locks to boot.
    Ammo is locked in a separate foot locker.

Yes, I know it's overkill - but there is no law against exceeding the requirements of storage. Plus I have a little one - and if my childhood is any indication he is very aware of where all the keys and stuff are. Every extra lock is another 20 second chance for me to catch on that he's being a bad boy before he gets his little mitts into the cookie jar.

Quote Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
    Currently my pistols have trigger lock, inside locked aluminum case, and inside a regular storage cabinet that has a chain lock on it. Not the best system, but should meet legal requirements until I can afford a safe.

Quick question, if my pistols has trigger lock and inside a locked aluminum case, I can keep the ammo in the same cabinet, correct?
    Be careful of storing your guns in foam-lined cases or fuzzy/furry lined soft cases, especially in Vancouver. They retain moisture, and left to themselves your guns will rust. Learned this the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Be careful of storing your guns in foam-lined cases or fuzzy/furry lined soft cases, especially in Vancouver. They retain moisture, and left to themselves your guns will rust. Learned this the hard way.
    My collection is stored in a Stack-On Total Defense 22 gun safe. They are all in their original fuzzy/furry lined case with each pistol in a silicone treated sock to keep the moisture out.9
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

Cleaned and oiled, in a locked cabinet bolted to the wall and floor. Ammo is in a separate safe bolted to the top of my cabinet, all in a locked room.

Standing, butt down... Handguns lie on their sides... poor buggers...
    .45-70 - Gov't you can trust

All trigger locked in a stack on cabinet bolted to studs in the wall. I added a combo sliding bolt to it in addition to the key. Just in case somebody that isn't me gest a hold of the keys there is another barrier. Ammo in range cans with desiccant packs locked in another cabinet. I have a rechargeable dehumidifier with the guns and magnetic flashlights attached to cabinet inside and out if I need to get in the dark or power is out. Almost forgot to mention I also have a wireless home IP camera inside so I can look at them on the road on my phone and also have it setup for disconnect, motion and noise alerts so if somebody is messing around I will know quickly.
    Last edited by simonsays82; 12-15-2014 at 01:20 PM.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Thanks, I've been warned by others as well. I threw in a couple moisture-absorbing packets/dessicants into the case. But I should have a safe arriving next week so I don't have to store them in the case any more

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast