Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: how do you store your firearms?

CGN Regular

how do you store your firearms?

I keep mine secured in a cabinet. With the ammo stored in a different room.

But my question is this: do you guys bother to lock them up with trigger locks as well? Does anyone go above and beyond in their home? I know I don't need the cabinet (just the trigger locks alone would be enough), but I wanted to get it for peace of mind for my gf mainly. she is a little anti, but slowly coming around. She helped me clean an sks last night and actually handled it! That was a big step in the right direction imo. (I'll get her shooting yet... :D)

I do not trigger lock inside the cabinet. I figure in my home, if they are locked in the cabinet, then that is plenty secure. Plus this way if I ever needed one fast, it wouldn't be one more road block in my way of being able to actually use it.

Actually, it would probably be wise to keep one box of ammo in the cabinet with the guns correct? (legal I am pretty sure, provided the cabinet locks. right?) No way all the ammo will fit in there though! I bought surplus bins for that.

When I take them in my car though, I do like to put the trigger locks on them just to be extra safe in case I got pulled over.

just wondering what you folks do?

CGN frequent flyer
    NRs are trigger locked, R pistols are in a small safe, no trigger locks, with mags next to them. Shells for the shotgun are with those.

100% legal, fast to access.

CGN Regular
    No real need for trigger lock inside a cabinet. If someone manage to force open the cabinet, they can most likely pop trigger lock in less than 30 seconds.

Of course if it makes your girlfriend safer, don't telll her what I said.
    Fact: in 100% of the fake guns related shootings the victims is always the one with the fake gun

CGN Regular
    No real need for trigger lock inside a cabinet. If someone manage to force open the cabinet, they can most likely pop trigger lock in less than 30 seconds.

Of course if it makes your girlfriend safer, don't telll her what I said.
    Fact: in 100% of the fake guns related shootings the victims is always the one with the fake gun

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    NRs are in a cabinet, Rs are in a cabinet with a trigger lock on them. Ammo is in another locked wooden box. All in a locked room. A little more than needed, but I have little kids and aren't worried about taking two minutes to get into my firearms...

When I have them in the trunk of the car NRs are in regular cases, Rs have trigger locks and are in locked cases. Either way they're in the trunk... I always make sure NO firearms related items are visible to reduce any possibility of misunderstandings...

400 pound safe bolted to my foundation in a locked room in my basement. Ammo is in a second locked safe. Firearms are all trigger locked and nothing is loaded (not even any magazines).

Overboard...? Yes! Do I care...? Nope.

CGN Regular
    I appreciate the replies and insight so far guys! thanks just curious as to how the rest of you do these things. I expected that most of you are probably doing more than I am. One day I'd like to make a room my secured location for my guns, but that won't be till I own my own place I think.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteoutjeeper View Post
    NRs are trigger locked, R pistols are in a small safe, no trigger locks, with mags next to them. Shells for the shotgun are with those.

100% legal, fast to access.
    I just wanted to ask you. The shotgun shells are where? In the safe with the mags? btw, do you store your mags loaded?

I kinda wish we were allowed to store the guns with shells in them. But at the same, time I see the safety problem. I'd feel awful and so embarrased to have a negligent discharge. If I lived out in the sticks I'd be much more wanting to be able to store them loaded.

on youtube i have been watching vids about advice from Americans and they do store their weapons loaded it seems. If I could, I'd keep the mag tube on the shotgun loaded, just not one in the chamber. but hey we can't do that up here.
    Last edited by wd123; 10-30-2014 at 10:26 PM.

CGN Regular
    I keep everything in a big 500+lb safe that's bolted down, I put trigger locks on the restricted guns even though its not necessary.

Two safes just under 700lbs each, no trigger locks on anything and ammo is stored in the safes since I dont store enough ammo to warrent a ammo locker.
    Go read that shlock to a soldier or a fireman or a football player or a bloody barber Theyll all knock your "this" right down your throat while sippin a beer and eating chicken wings.Then wipe their wee fingers on your pretty little pouch"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    I keep mine in the garage, suspended from the ceiling on ropes.

Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast