Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary ATT not allowed for Range

Temporary ATT not allowed for Range

Just got my first restricted handgun. Was excited to take it to Silverdale as a guest on Sunday to practise. Called the CFO to get a temporary ATT. CFO rep said I needed to get an invitation letter from a Range Board Member to get a temporary ATT. I didn't realize this, FML

Is an invitation letter something a shooting range normally provides upon request?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer luke s's Avatar
    Silver dale has a form online I think? Or did at some point. And they have drop in hours so an invite shouldn't be hard

So much for "give us a call" and you can have an ATT. Load of BS

Very clear their only purpose is to discourage firearm ownership

Quote Originally Posted by luke s View Post
    Silver dale has a form online I think? Or did at some point. And they have drop in hours so an invite shouldn't be hard
    Their invite is only if you have a Long Term ATT:
    http://www.silverdalegunclub.com/wp-...Invitation.pdf

In my case, I'm not a member of any club (yet) so I don't have an LTATT. I realize this may be a long process so it may be months(?) before I get to try my new firearm...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer andrew3081's Avatar
    What province are you in?
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew3081 View Post
    What province are you in?
    Ontario

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I just had a problem trying to get a member an att for one day so him and I can go shooting. He has done the extra ontario range course but needs to shoot probationary hrs. He could shoot my gun, but what's the point if he has his own. I am an exec and the CFO still fought me until I sent them an email with the invite rules and CC'd it to the President.

Currently. It's Try to find a club to join, get an ATT then use the crap invite only rule. Or take CFO to court. Unless someone has any other options?

Has anyone compiled a list of clubs that have invite letters available? Or a list of clubs that have non member drop ins?

It's funny that in my discussions with Sgt. Niedermayer from the Ontario CFO's office, if one has an LTATT then anyone that your club allows to issue invitations (including individual members) is legit to do so.

If you do not have an LTATT however, they are requiring a board member to issue the invitation before issuing an STATT.
    “The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men.” ― Plato

CGN Regular

It is a long slow process to be able to actually shoot your own restricted firearms in Ontario. For personal use for target shooting the typical steps and considerations include:

1. Get your restricted license.
    2. Find a club to join; this is challenging because many clubs (at least in the GTA) have closed their membership and/or have very long wait times.
    3. Start the process to join the club.
    4. Obtain at least one restricted firearm (the CFO will only issue LTATT to people who have at least one restricted firearm).
    5. Once you are a member request the club apply for your LTATT and wait for the LTATT to arrive.
    6. Once you receive the LTATT it is valid for various periods depending on the club and the expiration date of your firearms license. It typically permits transporting restricted firearms registered to your residence between your residence and CFO approved ranges in Ontario at which you are a member or for which have an invitation. It is typically not valid for border crossings, gunsmiths, moving or other purposes.
    7. You need to maintain your club membership in order for the LTATT to be valid.
    8. Many clubs provide a generic invitation to attend for people who already hold an LTATT - this is so you can attend as a guest at clubs where you are not a member, e.g. for matches. Club members may also issue invitations to their guests in accordance with club policies.
    9. Generally speaking you will not be able to obtain an ATT for a specific date and place unless a director of the place provides you with a written invitation that the CFO will accept.
    10. So if you are invited to a club by a member or want to go to someplace that provides day passes or similar you will not be able to obtain an ATT to bring your firearms.
    11. The CFO policies pertaining to ATTs have been challenged (ref. cyclone et al) but as far as I know nobody has been able to obtain an LTATT for target shooting without having a club membership.
    12. For people who want to get started shooting restricted firearms in Ontario the bundling of the ATT with the RPAL proposed in the CSFA is their best hope of streamlining all of this, obviously the details of how it will work remain to be seen.

Great info...thanks Snapshot!!!

i had no idea. Looks like it will be a while before I get to shoot this. I'm trying to play by the rules here!

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    It is a long slow process to be able to actually shoot your own restricted firearms in Ontario. For personal use for target shooting the typical steps and considerations include:

1. Get your restricted license.
    2. Find a club to join; this is challenging because many clubs (at least in the GTA) have closed their membership and/or have very long wait times.
    3. Start the process to join the club.
    4. Obtain at least one restricted firearm (the CFO will only issue LTATT to people who have at least one restricted firearm).
    5. Once you are a member request the club apply for your LTATT and wait for the LTATT to arrive.
    6. Once you receive the LTATT it is valid for various periods depending on the club and the expiration date of your firearms license. It typically permits transporting restricted firearms registered to your residence between your residence and CFO approved ranges in Ontario at which you are a member or for which have an invitation. It is typically not valid for border crossings, gunsmiths, moving or other purposes.
    7. You need to maintain your club membership in order for the LTATT to be valid.
    8. Many clubs provide a generic invitation to attend for people who already hold an LTATT - this is so you can attend as a guest at clubs where you are not a member, e.g. for matches. Club members may also issue invitations to their guests in accordance with club policies.
    9. Generally speaking you will not be able to obtain an ATT for a specific date and place unless a director of the place provides you with a written invitation that the CFO will accept.
    10. So if you are invited to a club by a member or want to go to someplace that provides day passes or similar you will not be able to obtain an ATT to bring your firearms.
    11. The CFO policies pertaining to ATTs have been challenged (ref. cyclone et al) but as far as I know nobody has been able to obtain an LTATT for target shooting without having a club membership.
    12. For people who want to get started shooting restricted firearms in Ontario the bundling of the ATT with the RPAL proposed in the CSFA is their best hope of streamlining all of this, obviously the details of how it will work remain to be seen.

Don’t give up that’s what they hope you will do. It takes time and once you’re all good to go it is a lot of fun. If you know someone who has a LTATT already they can bring you and your firearm to the range.
    Gun control defined:
    The theory that criminals who are willing to ignore laws against rape, torture, kidnapping, theft, and murder, will obey a law that prohibits them from owning a firearm while disarming decent people from having access to firearms to prevent criminals from achieving their goals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast