Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning kits?

CGN Regular
    Did my first cleaning today, quite a bit of black stuff came out! Noticed there is very a small ding on the outside of the barrel, I'm assuming this shouldn't make a difference since it's on the outside? Also, some of the nitron finish is already wearing off already on the slide rails where I assume there is metal on metal contact, should I put some extra grease on it and do I need to worry about rusting? I just used G96, is that sufficient or do I need a separate oil to lubricate?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    So far, I have bought my stuff at Walmart. They sell a cheap ($12ish) cleaning kit with a 3-piece brass rod, and variety of bronze brushes, mops, and jags. Not the best quality (rod breaks really easy, but its nice to have something that comes apart and most other kits I see have aluminum or steel rods, which I refuse to use.) Its Allen brand.

Tomorrow, Im going to wholesale sports to buy a decent cleaning rod because Im sick of breaking the brass rods (3 down.....) but I'd probably buy another one of these kits if I needed a bunch of brushes at once, or I needed something more portable than a fullsize coated or carbon fiber rod.

Just another gun-nut's personal preferences (everything I know, I learned from these forums):

I only use grease on my semi-auto rifles; on my pistols I use G96 exclusively (I find that grease gets way too dirty and keeps particles inside the gun). Don't worry about the finish wearing off, that'll happen no matter what. Just use the wear patterns as a guide for the parts you need to lubricate. Guns that I intend to keep in the safe for a while I leave pretty wet, those I intend to shoot soon only get a light coating of thin oil.

On the rust issue, it all depends on where you live. If you're near the ocean, I'd seriously consider keeping a dehumidifier near your gun safe, or at the very least throwing some moisture-absorbing packs in your safe.

Also, I would definitely recommend you buy a silicone- or wax-soaked gun cloth (G96, Hoppe's or others). I use one to wipe down my guns before putting them away; leaves a nice, thick sheen on your guns that protects metal surfaces against corrosion for a long while.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerdan View Post
    Just another gun-nut's personal preferences (everything I know, I learned from these forums):

I only use grease on my semi-auto rifles; on my pistols I use G96 exclusively (I find that grease gets way too dirty and keeps particles inside the gun). Don't worry about the finish wearing off, that'll happen no matter what. Just use the wear patterns as a guide for the parts you need to lubricate. Guns that I intend to keep in the safe for a while I leave pretty wet, those I intend to shoot soon only get a light coating of thin oil.

On the rust issue, it all depends on where you live. If you're near the ocean, I'd seriously consider keeping a dehumidifier near your gun safe, or at the very least throwing some moisture-absorbing packs in your safe.

Also, I would definitely recommend you buy a silicone- or wax-soaked gun cloth (G96, Hoppe's or others). I use one to wipe down my guns before putting them away; leaves a nice, thick sheen on your guns that protects metal surfaces against corrosion for a long while.
    I keep some dri-z-air in my gun safe. I took a small plastic container and poked a bunch of holes in it, then set that container inside another container. I think the smaller one is a round "disposable" ziplock container, while the other is a used yogurt container. The top lip of the small one rests on the inside lip of the yogurt container, so if it accumulates enough water in the desiccant it will drip into the bottom of the yogurt container.

When I pulled it out after a few months to drain it I was amazed at how much water was in there. Probably half a cup of water, from less than 6 months.

Dri-z-air is available at Walmart an CT for pretty cheap. A $20 jug lasts me a full year inside my truck (with occasional emptying refilling the desiccant) If not for this stuff, my truck would have molded up real bad by now, as it has spent most of the last 3 years parked outside, not being used.

CGN Regular
    Sorry, just to confirm very small dent on outside of barrel is not a concern correct? I only need to worry about inside the barrel?

CGN Regular
    hey guys, sorry for all the newbie questions.

Cleaned the Sig today and noticed this on the trigger assembly (?). Looks like the nitron finish flaked off on one section, it has a slight orange tinge to it, but I cannot make out if it's rust or just the colour of the underlying metal? Your advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

A small ding in the outside of the barrel is nothing to worry about, BUT, keep it protected to prevent rust.

Same goes for whatever is worn inside. There's nothing inside your pistol that should be orange as far as metal goes. Ensure it stays lubed and you'l be fine.
    Aspera Juvant!

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    A small ding in the outside of the barrel is nothing to worry about, BUT, keep it protected to prevent rust.

Same goes for whatever is worn inside. There's nothing inside your pistol that should be orange as far as metal goes. Ensure it stays lubed and you'l be fine.
    So should I try to remove the orange patch? I tried scraping with a toothpick and nothing came off. It would be pretty hard to access it with sandpaper, or I can try using a sanding pen? Or can I just leave it as is and just make sure it is cleaned/lubed properly? Thanks!

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good all-in-one cleaning kit for a newbie? Mainly for handguns for now (9mm), but will likely add a shotgun sometime next year. Would something like this be a good bet?

http://www.4gt.ca/m-pro-7-universal-cleaning-kit/

http://www.4gt.ca/otis-deluxe-rifle-...eaning-system/
    Please contact us at 4GT@4GT.ca with any questions you might have.

Sometimes full kits are the way to go, other times buying specific cleaning supplies as needed is the best way.

As a general comment about cleaning kits / CLPs / patches / accessories, etc... In our experience not all products are equal. Those made in Canada/USA and Europe are generally of superior quality.

CGN frequent flyer
    I bought this from amazon for my pistols(I have 9/40/45 so far and will have 357mag/44mag). I picked it because it's small size that I can easily take it with me in the range bag as I clean my guns @ my club. it works very well.

http://www.amazon.ca/Real-Avid-Universal-System-Cleaning/dp/B00CI1UMC0/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1437715311&sr=8-16&keywords=gun+cleaning+kit

Quote Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good all-in-one cleaning kit for a newbie? Mainly for handguns for now (9mm), but will likely add a shotgun sometime next year. Would something like this be a good bet?

http://www.4gt.ca/m-pro-7-universal-cleaning-kit/

http://www.4gt.ca/otis-deluxe-rifle-...eaning-system/
    CSSA Life Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast