Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning kits?

CGN Regular

Cleaning kits?

Can anybody recommend a good all-in-one cleaning kit for a newbie? Mainly for handguns for now (9mm), but will likely add a shotgun sometime next year. Would something like this be a good bet?

http://www.4gt.ca/m-pro-7-universal-cleaning-kit/

http://www.4gt.ca/otis-deluxe-rifle-...eaning-system/
    Last edited by jermyzy; 11-01-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Personally I don't use "kits".

Most of my cleaning is done with a toothbrush, rags, and Q-tips. I use bore snakes for pistols and a rod and bronze brush for shotguns (with thin rags [old bed sheets] over the bronze brush as patches). G96 aerosol is currently what I use but I'll buy pretty much any aerosol cleaner in bulk whenever they go on sale.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer medvedqc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
    Can anybody recommend a good all-in-one cleaning kit for a newbie? Mainly for handguns for now (9mm), but will likely add a shotgun sometime next year. Would something like this be a good bet?

http://www.4gt.ca/m-pro-7-universal-cleaning-kit/

http://www.4gt.ca/otis-deluxe-rifle-...eaning-system/
    i use the Otis while in the field. just in case.

CGN Regular
    I use the Otis cleaning kit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4n2t0 View Post
    Personally I don't use "kits".

Most of my cleaning is done with a toothbrush, rags, and Q-tips. I use bore snakes for pistols and a rod and bronze brush for shotguns (with thin rags [old bed sheets] over the bronze brush as patches). G96 aerosol is currently what I use but I'll buy pretty much any aerosol cleaner in bulk whenever they go on sale.
    x2! Or buy cheap eastern block (Bulgarian/Russian/Czech) ak kits on ebay and upgrade so it works with your rifle.
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

CGN Regular
    I ended up picking up a cheap Otis micro 9mm kit and a couple extra brushes/pads. This should hopefully be enough to get me started. Is the included O85 cleaner/lube sufficient or should I buy a separate lubricant like G96?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00E...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
    Is the included O85 cleaner/lube sufficient or should I buy a separate lubricant like G96?[/url]
    I like to lightly lubricate the exterior of my firearms (slides, barrels, etc.), so that little bottle wouldn't last me very long. I do this because my firearms are store in the basement where it can get a little damp. That's why I prefer aerosols, I spray a rag and wipe down my babies!

Generally this is my routine:

1) Safety check, lol.
    2) Breakdown firearm.
    3) Aerosol CLP down the barrel and let it sit.
    4) Wipe down all other areas (Q-tips for hard to reach areas).
    5) Go back to the barrel and brush/bore snake until clean.
    7) For handguns I put a very small amount of high temp grease on the slide rails.
    6) Reassemble.
    7) Lightly coat exterior (slide/barrel) with a rag sprayed with CLP.
    Last edited by 4n2t0; 11-04-2014 at 09:27 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer eaglesnester's Avatar
    I have been shooting for over 60 years and never used a cleaning kit. Buy yurself a good one piece cleaning rod, proper size non bronze jag, some WipeOut, a good chamber brush and a tooth brush along with some good quality patches of the proper size, a proper bore guide and yur in business. WipeOut will remove all carbon, and brass fouling in yur bore without having to use
    a steel or bronze bore brush for the old back and forth treatment which can literally destroy a barrel if not done properly. With WipeOut all U do is put some on a patch, run er through your bore guide once and let er set for a hour or two. Continue this until you get no
    evidence of brown, black, or blue which indicates brass fouling. In deference to the previous poster, CLIP is used by the US Marine Corps, and US Navy, all of our barrels were chromed lined, we had little to no copper fouling in our bores. CLIP does not remove brass fouling. It does remove carbon fouling, and it does lubricate and help to prevent rust.

BANNED
    One kit is pretty much the same as the next in that they give you everything at once. Brushes do wear out and need replacing. Which brand makes no difference.
    Bronze will never wear out anything made of steel. Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin and is much softer than the softest steel.
    Buying patches with the word 'gun' on the package costs more. A yard or two of remnant flannelette(that's PJ/winter sheet material), 36" wide, cut onto 2 x 4 strips(for .30 calibre) will give you hundreds of patches for under $10. Go to a discount fabric shop.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnester View Post
    bronze bore brush for the old back and forth treatment which can literally destroy a barrel if not done properly
    LMAO! Yup, those darn bronze brushes be destroying barrels left and right, lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast