Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Will The Modern Hunter be my new rifle

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shortround View Post
    I am in an interesting situation ,My wife offered to buy me a rifle for our anniversary and she has seen me following (and drooling over ) The Modern Hunter build online . I love the look and design of this rifle as well as the calibre choice and especially that the design and company behind it is Canadian . Unfortunately I have never been a fan of the AR 15 style platform at all , I never understood the need to hang enough gear to equip a platoon off my rifle . I have seen some setups that remind me of a Swiss army knife with a gun installed than a rifle .Don't get me wrong I have no problem with it and if that is the way you enjoy your rifle than have at it and to hell with what anyone else says , it is your gun after all .It just doesn't interest me . I would want it with a scope rail and setup for a bipod as I just want an awesome shooter .
    Now the main question , will I be happy with The Modern Hunter or am I better off looking elsewhere . I am really interested in everyone's opinion ,you guys have ,collect and shoot these style rifle and it is this experience I am trying to tap into .

I await your input . Thanks

Shorty
    You're asking people, on ATRS's forum, if they think you should by a rifle somewhere else? Do you honestly expect anyone here to tell you that you should not buy the Modern Hunter? That you go buy a xxxx from xxxx instead?

Who knows, maybe someone actually will do just that (especially after reading my post), but I think you would have gotten a better response had you posted in a general forum, and listed some other rifles you would consider buying, aside from the Modern Hunter.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

You need to figure out a few things: if you want restricted or non restricted? A semi auto or bolt action? How important is accuracy to you? Are you ok with a black rifle or do you need wood furniture? Hows the price?

In my case, I want an accurate semi auto in 308 and I like the black rifle look. I have an accurate bolt action in 308 and an inaccurate nr black semi auto in 308. I was going to get a high end ar10 but figured I might as well get this since it's nonrestricted and still achieves the same things as an ar 10.

CGN Regular
    Decided my words were so amazing, that everyone should see them ;-)

I feel the exact same way about the AR platform. I'm not a big fan of the accessories, or the railed for-ends. Thankfully they've avoided these for the most part. There are options for those that want them though.

My preference with it, is that I find the pistol grip more comfortable, and if I want a different palm swell, it's a 30 dollar part, not an entire new stock.

What are the things you're looking to get out of your new rifle? If you ranked priorities, accuracy, reliability, ergonomics, price, how would it all add up?

I can honestly say, I was looking for 223 non restricted when I came across this. I was about to drop 3k on a bushmaster acr, I've had an xcr, and none of them feel even close to the quality of this thing, so caliber was what I was giving up. But end of the day, if you aren't into semi autos, don't buy something because other people like it.

I suspect resale for 2015 may even be higher than retail. Unfortunately that always seems to happen on the EE.

If you ARE looking for semi auto, my opinion is MH > FAMAE (Swiss green) > xcr-m.
    Last edited by ShaunM; 11-01-2014 at 07:55 PM.

CGN Regular
    You say you really like the look and design of the MH, but have never been a fan of the AR style. Those two statements seem contradictory - can you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by swbw2000 View Post
    it's your money. Or your wife's in this example.
    lol
    Help stop the Trudeau Dictatorship. www.Pierre4PM.ca

CGN Regular
    the aesthetics of quad-rails, and 15lbs of accessories added on leave much to be desired. I'm very glad for keymod styles

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by shortround View Post
    You guys are missing the point . I never said I never shot an AR , I have and can usually not embarrass myself and I never said I thought I had to put all the extras on the rifle ,just that I chose not to and have no problem with those who do .
    Then what exactly are you asking?

No one can give you real world experience reviews as no one actually has one yet.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer andrew3081's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunM View Post
    Decided my words were so amazing, that everyone should see them ;-)

I feel the exact same way about the AR platform. I'm not a big fan of the accessories, or the railed for-ends. Thankfully they've avoided these for the most part. There are options for those that want them though.

My preference with it, is that I find the pistol grip more comfortable, and if I want a different palm swell, it's a 30 dollar part, not an entire new stock.

What are the things you're looking to get out of your new rifle? If you ranked priorities, accuracy, reliability, ergonomics, price, how would it all add up?

I can honestly say, I was looking for 223 non restricted when I came across this. I was about to drop 3k on a bushmaster acr, I've had an xcr, and none of them feel even close to the quality of this thing, so caliber was what I was giving up. But end of the day, if you aren't into semi autos, don't buy something because other people like it.

I suspect resale for 2015 may even be higher than retail. Unfortunately that always seems to happen on the EE.

If you ARE looking for semi auto, my opinion is MH > FAMAE (Swiss green) > xcr-m.
    Just curious....How do you know the quality of MH if you never actually seen/held one in person or shot one?

Unless you went to the the shop and looked at the demo rifle already?
    Last edited by andrew3081; 11-01-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    What?

To me, the concept of using a gun like this for hunting is rather repulsive.
    I respect the game I hunt, I don't view it like an enemy, and hunting to me is a completely different thing than shooting up Taliban a$$holes.
    To use a weapon like this to shoot a deer or a moose would be a disrespectful way to hunt (in my opinion).
    Having a 10 round clip in a big game gun is rather ridiculous to me...if you need that many rounds to hit the animal, you should not be out there hunting in the first place.
    If you don't need that many rounds, then why lug it around with you in the woods all day?
    So, I would not pick a gun like this for hunting.
    Lots of folks out there will disagree with me, and that is fine.
    They have their opinion, I have mine.
    If you don't have a problem going hunting with an AR, then go for it.
    I would enjoy a gun like this on the range, and that is about it.
    For home defense, I use my 12 gauge. If you have a big property and are genuinely worried about zombies invading your place, then this gun might also suit you for that purpose...
    I hope we don't follow the Americans down this path where every other deer/moose/bear gun in the woods is an AR...I think it will be rather sad if that happens. The traditional hunting rifles with their fine wood and metalwork were designed that way for a reason-respect for the game you hunt and respect for the tools you use in doing so.

CGN Regular
    The reason I like this gun is because it can play a lot of roles. Good for a range day and good for hunting. I don't really think anyone will be dumping a magazine on a moose but I'm sure some will empty a magazine very quickly on a 300 yard gong.

One gun that is able to play multiple roles. Makes it a bit more reasonable to spend a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Billabong View Post
    To me, the concept of using a gun like this for hunting is rather repulsive.
    I respect the game I hunt, I don't view it like an enemy, and hunting to me is a completely different thing than shooting up Taliban a$$holes.
    To use a weapon like this to shoot a deer or a moose would be a disrespectful way to hunt (in my opinion).
    Having a 10 round clip in a big game gun is rather ridiculous to me...if you need that many rounds to hit the animal, you should not be out there hunting in the first place.
    If you don't need that many rounds, then why lug it around with you in the woods all day?
    So, I would not pick a gun like this for hunting.
    Lots of folks out there will disagree with me, and that is fine.
    They have their opinion, I have mine.
    If you don't have a problem going hunting with an AR, then go for it.
    I would enjoy a gun like this on the range, and that is about it.
    For home defense, I use my 12 gauge. If you have a big property and are genuinely worried about zombies invading your place, then this gun might also suit you for that purpose...
    I hope we don't follow the Americans down this path where every other deer/moose/bear gun in the woods is an AR...I think it will be rather sad if that happens. The traditional hunting rifles with their fine wood and metalwork were designed that way for a reason-respect for the game you hunt and respect for the tools you use in doing so.