Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Will The Modern Hunter be my new rifle

I figured the first one was the flyer and the 3 round group was the real attempt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Runningfool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billabong View Post
    ...If you look at where you are most likely going to be charged by a nasty animal, it would be in Africa. Do you see a lot of folks using ARs over there? I don't. Sure, the poachers use them to slaughter elephants, etc, but the professional hunters use bolt guns or double barrels. If the AR were the ultimate thing to save you from a charging critter, you would have to ask yourself why they are not being used in Africa. I would suggest that weight and reliability as well as hunting traditions would be the top of the list.
    Oh yes, weight and reliability and traditions are some of the reasons that bolt and double barrels are the firearm of choice for dangerous game in Africa...another reason might be that the PH, guides, etc. are armed and have your back should you get charged.

Dear Gents and (Ladies?).

I shall bow out of the discussion at this point.
    I greatly appreciate the discussion we have had and the input from the folks here.
    I think the "Modern Hunter" is a great gun, and I hope they sell tons of them.
    I am seriously considering buying one and I am sure I will enjoy it a lot on the range if I do.
    It is not my intent to degrade the gun itself in any way. My personal views on the use of this gun in hunting are just that-my personal views.
    Some of you may agree with it, some of you might not.
    To those who took the time to reply to my comments in a thoughtful, polite way-I say "Thank you". I appreciate it, and I am sure other members do too.
    To those that were not so polite......well, I figure it says a lot more about you than it does about me.

I don't want to clutter up this thread.
    If you want to discuss further, PM me please.

Wish you all good shooting!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stormchaser's Avatar
    Hey Billabong perhaps I can summarize the modern hunter in a way you'll understand.

The "Billabong" skateboard brand is often associated with people who smoke marijuana (I'm sure YOU don't break the law by smoking marijuana but follow me on this example). Let's say you like to smoke marijuana and now let's pretend you could smoke it legally in special coffee marijuana cafés,would you smoke it more? What if you could only smoke it anywhere? Would you smoke it more?

The modern hunter represents freedom.

The modern hunter allows firearms owners the ability to shoot away from the range like you smoking dope in places other than a marijuana coffee shop. The difference is most firearm owners won't break the law and shoot away from the range. All marijuana smokers are smoking illegally. Secondly, when firearms owners are shooting, there are a number of laws which they still respect.

I hope this helps, now run along and grab some munchies.

What does this AR have to offer you that a modern hunting rifle does not?
    What does a breechloader offer over a muzzle loader? What does a bolt action offer over a lever action?

AR-style rifles are very accurate and very light in the correct configuration. They recoil very softly and point more naturally, and allow for quicker follow up shots in the event of an error, which will happen. You can do this with a bolt-action, but a semiauto will do it better.

A 10 round AR is not a gun designed for fair chase big game hunting in my opinion....
    You're a human with a firearm, and in your case, years of experience and instant access to centuries of knowledge thanks to the internet, among other media. Any plausible notion of fairness is long abandoned.

If you want a bolt action because that's what you're an expert with, then that's the most important factor by far and I'd be the last person to tell you to change. But the "respect for the game" justification strikes me as empty romantics.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    I would buy this simply 'just because I can.' That it may 'offend' Liberals and Fudds is either of no consequence or a source of pride depending on the day.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Runningfool's Avatar
    ...To what degree do we keep "evolving" in this regard? At what point do you, as a hunter say, "it may be legal for me to use a gun like that for hunting, but I will not do so because it goes against what I believe is fair chase?".

A 10 round AR is not a gun designed for fair chase big game hunting in my opinion...
    So you are saying that a "10 round AR" goes against fair chase BUT your bolt gun, that is based on military technology that made it superior to the firearms of its time, is fair chase? Can you not see the hypocrisy of your own statements?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brianma65's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hunter View Post
    I figured the first one was the flyer and the 3 round group was the real attempt
    were they off a bench or free hand? Nevermind , just looked at the pic again.
    Last edited by Brianma65; 11-02-2014 at 12:54 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer hawk-i's Avatar
    I think the ATRS, MH @ 8Lbs. is a little on the heavy side, other than that I believe it will be a great hunting rifle. I'm really tempted to order one now, but think I will wait until a few are out there to see how they pan out.
    Mind you, if I happened to be in Calgary and had the chance to actually hold one it might be hard to not buy it on the spot.
    Plus 1 for like it!

CGN Regular
    I agree that in certain situations, having a couple of quick follow up shots would be a good thing.
    I have hunted for 14 years. I have never been charged by a bear or any other angry critter.
    It makes little sense to me to lug around a gun like this for the next 20 years just in case I get charged by something.
    I've been driving for 15 years, some of that professionally. I always carried a spare tire even though i had never had a flat tire in all those years. Finally got my first flat at 2 am on a gravel road in a very remote area in Idaho while hooked to a 12000lb trailer . When #### happens, better to be prepared than to think it cannot happen to you. It would be like rcmp officers not carrying a pistol because they rarely draw it....
    do I need the modern hunter to effectively harvest animals, no.
    In my mind this is a step towards trying to change the stereotype that black guns are for killing people..... thanks Hollywood!