Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910

Thread: Will The Modern Hunter be my new rifle

CGN frequent flyer Bad Lieutenant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billabong View Post
    I like the joke...I must admit, I feel like that some days when I drive the highway!!!

The benefits of a semi auto, high round rifle in big game hunting are: fast repeat shots and plenty of ammo to follow up on your poor/misplaced shots.
    There are no other reasons.
    These guns are usually less accurate than bolt actions, they are less reliable due to more moving parts and are heavier to lug around in the woods and up mountains.
    They are expensive. For $3000 you can buy two well made bolt actions with scopes that will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long.
    I can see the application in hunting a pack of coyotes or a town of prairie dogs (although most hunters I know use .223 or smaller for this purpose, not the .308 we are discussing here). The .308 is a large game caliber, generally used on big critters like moose/elk/bear/deer. You are not going to be mowing down a herd of these (not legally anyways-not in Canada).

Therefore, the whole "benefit" of using such a rifle in big game hunting rests on the assumption that the hunter using this firearm is a poor shot who should not be out there in the first place.
    It disrespects the game animal and the hunter who uses it.
    Want to be an ethical hunter? Learn how to shoot accurately. That way you won't need a semi auto with 9 rounds to follow up on your gut-shot buck
    Wow... that's somewhat condescending, no?

"Disrespectful" ... "ethical" ... And, of course... "assumption". Well, you know what say about making "assumptions"... it makes an ass out of U and mptions.

Kidding aside, there's something kind of... preachy, and fudd-like, in your pronouncements. A LOT of guys hunt with semi's. That does not make them "disrespectful", "unethical", or "bad shots" who need to "learn how to shoot accurately". Some guys with semi's I know could out-shoot you and your bolt-gun any day.
    Last edited by Bad Lieutenant; 11-02-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Huntactical View Post
    I also wouldn't use a gun like this to hunt big game, but it sure as hell wouldn't bother me if someone else did. Your rant is fraught with irony and contradictions but I guess you can't see that from your elevated elitist pedestal. How is using a scoped 7mm not represent a tool that gives you every advantage? How does it give the animal a fair chance? Hunting traditions? I suggest you either sharpen your arrowhead and start practicing those spear throws or quit being supercilious.
    There ya go.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." - Dante Alighieri
    "This whole war could have been avoided. Cunnilingus and psychiatry brought us to this." - Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    Imagine what the fudds will be saying in another 60 to 75 years, assuming that we still inhabit the planet and that there is still some wildlife left.
    Nope, there won't be any wildlife left, because according to the 'deer-hugger' here, we will have mowed them all down, entire herds at-a-time, with our semi-auto Modern Hunters!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stormchaser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Lieutenant View Post
    Nope, there won't be any wildlife left, because according to the 'deer-hugger', we will have mowed them all down, a herd at-a-time, with our semi-auto Modern Hunters!
    Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Billabong View Post
    Want to be an ethical hunter? Learn how to shoot accurately. That way you won't need a semi auto with 9 rounds to follow up on your gut-shot buck.
    From the ATRS website;

The Modern Hunter will come with one 308 PMAG, others will be available for purchase for $28. They are black in color. 10rd or 20rd mags pinned to 5rds are available.
    So he got that wrong also.

Well I'm fairly sure Billabong is in the wrong camp entirely here folks, and am tired of him throwing his slang and accusations about us and this rifle.If he doesn't like it move along,,and when I walk by you In the bush with mine you can have a temper tantrum and contemplate the ethicality of it all you want , because I don't care what you or guys like you think about it.If you really are a hunter, I hope and pray you find a new hobby such as stamp colledcting because your attitude stinks.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer orthoboy's Avatar
    Nice groups Rick and gang. The proof is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by struik View Post
    Where are you getting "ten rounds" from? Was there a change in the law this weekend?
    XCR-M pistol mags hold 10 rounds

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    And I think this thread has run its course.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910