Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Empty magazines need to be locked?

CGN frequent flyer

Empty magazines need to be locked?

Really low on storage space and wonder if I could just put all the empty magazines in a backpack or zipped back WITHOUT lock. Would that be a problem? Thanks?
    CSSA Life Member

CGN Regular
    that's fine, mags don't need to be locked up.

Your only problem is being low on storage space.

No need to lock empty mags.
    Leave them out as conversation pieces for when friends and family visits. Hide them if I visit and happen to need those specific mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrXenon View Post
    What do you need a brake on a 5.56mm firearm for? You should just slip a maxipad under your bra strap to dampen the hellish recoil.
    Spock to Kirk:
    "Logic dictates Captain. If Pro-Gunners are as violent as Anti-Gunners say they are, there would not be any Anti-Gunners left."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fritzhanzel's Avatar
    There is no limitation on empty mags as long as they are not prohibited

CGN frequent flyer
    Noted!!! Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by UR2X3M4ME View Post

Leave them out as conversation pieces for when friends and family visits. Hide them if I visit and happen to need those specific mags.
    CSSA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by UR2X3M4ME View Post

No need to lock up ANY mag at ANY time

Shawn

^^^ True.

With reference to "empty mags", I tend to preach carefulness with loose ammo being too close to the firearm they fit in. Shawn is correct.
    Last edited by UR2X3M4ME; 11-10-2014 at 09:45 PM. Reason: clarity
    What do you need a brake on a 5.56mm firearm for? You should just slip a maxipad under your bra strap to dampen the hellish recoil.
    Spock to Kirk:
    "Logic dictates Captain. If Pro-Gunners are as violent as Anti-Gunners say they are, there would not be any Anti-Gunners left."

Well, loaded magazines contain ammunition and there are a couple of laws related to accessing ammo, and that may be what some are thinking of.

One is related to storage of firearms and having firearms accessible to ammo, and the other relates to accessibility of ammo in general.

(c) it is not readily accessible to ammunition, unless the ammunition is stored, together with or separately from the firearm, in a container or receptacle that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.
    http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...age-2.html#h-3

Storage requirements — dwelling

281. (1) When small arms cartridges are stored in a dwelling, they must be stored away from flammable substances and sources of ignition. People not authorized by the user must not be given unlimited access to the cartridges.
    http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regula...-87.html#h-101

Btw... these regulations don't mean shawn was wrong. He's correct. But there may be circumstances where locking the ammo up is one option where the law requires that some action be taken.
    "Silence is the virtue of those who are not wise."

My comments are simply my opinions and observations. I am not a lawyer, and any legal references in my comments should not be considered legal advice.

Again, I agree.
    It is where I was leading but refrained from derailing OP's question, i.e. mags, not what they contain.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by UR2X3M4ME; 11-10-2014 at 09:48 PM. Reason: hit the bang switch too fast :-)
    Spock to Kirk:

CGN Regular
    I have a chest rig hanging in closed filled with mags that are full of ammo but my guns are all locked up. Is this okay?
    "All things I thought I knew, but now confess; the more I know I know, I know the less" - John Owen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast