Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Elwood Epps

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    I believe the Op already did that until he was put on hold and then hung up on. Thats after the fact his order was never initiated, you actually expect a customer to want to deal with a store that has givin him that kind of service.............
    The OP has announced that he is not dealing with Epps. See his post #25.

As he has stated "That is all."

Tiriaq:

Thank you for your input, but we are not ready to lock down this thread just yet. I think it is important that we address the issues being brought up here, and clarify what we are doing to help not only the OP, but others who have experienced similar concerns through our store.

Candaman30:

I believe the Op already did that until he was put on hold and then hung up on. Thats after the fact his order was never initiated, you actually expect a customer to want to deal with a store that has givin him that kind of service.............

The purpose of feedback is to present a customer's experience with any given company. It is also an opportunity for that company to respond to the issue in question -- whether positive or negative -- and work with the customer to either correct the problem or present viable alternatives to the issue, as well as to ensure that the same errors do not occur in the future.

The OP had an issue with a magazine order. That issue has been dealt with through separate E-mail negotiations, as described by the OP. No, we were not able to correct the situation as it arose, however I did explain to the OP how the error occurred, and how it can be avoided in the future. The error was in no part that of the OP, but a mistake made by one of our sale staff. Mistakes happen. We, too, are only human, and none of us can claim to be perfect. Fortunately for the OP he was able to locate a suitable magazine for his firearm. Unfortunately for us, that purchase did not transpire through our store. But I personally am happier to hear that he was able to secure the item he needed than I am worried about whether or not the sale was made through Ellwood Epps.

As for Pearcetopher, I have asked him to contact our store through E-mail so that I can determine how his order was overlooked. If he did place an order for an item that was later sold from inventory, there is a flaw in our ordering system that needs to be addressed. Or is it possible that he ordered one specific item, but the model that was sold was different catalogue/product number that was similar, but not identical to the item he ordered? We have seen on several occasions where distributors change catalogue numbers on the same product, which results in incoming items being sold to over-the-counter buyers rather than earmarked to complete outstanding orders. I need to determine if this was the case, and if so, how we can prevent that from happening again, or if it was simply a matter of the item being sold when it should have been set aside for Pearcetopher's order.

Again, mistakes happen. We admit that. But if you read through the forums addressing our customer service, you will see that we do not take those mistakes lightly, and we do try to correct those situations as we are able. Not every customer is going to come away with a glowing report of their experiences at Ellwood Epps, nor at any other retail outlet. But if we can satisfy the majority of our customers, and do what we can to correct the problems that arise with any others, I think we are doing better than people like yourself give us credit for.
    If gun owners in this country were truly a threat, do you really think our politicians would have lasted this long??

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Good on you EL EP! Taking the OP's complaint seriously speaks well of your company!!! For the OP bashers! I can never understand how you think you are helping the sponsor ????

I am generally happy with Epps, but I echo the points above that nobody should be immune from criticism. This isn't a tyranny.

Their service is good, but without question they have the best prices on everything I have seen. If at any given moment you search Canadian retailers for any gun you want, Epps will probably have it for the cheapest price you see it for. Some other stores may have the same price, but in 98% of cases, you can bet that Epps is the best.

Two things they need, though, pics on their website (I have beat this dead horse before, as have others), and a different building. I'm not saying they need something the size of Cabela's or Bass Pro, but going down into the firearms room on a weekend is rediculous. Way, way too small for the amount of people crowded in there, with only a small fraction of the guns for sale out there.

CGN frequent flyer
    epps is good in person (but busy!!)... Ordering over the phone there however is hit and miss. Their website is also pretty terrible considering the amount of business they do.

I take the good with the bad. They have a lot of stock and tons of used guns, so I pop in when I am nearby.
    The Liberal Philosophy
    If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.

"any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    Benjamin Franklin

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrier .45 View Post
    Tiriaq:

Thank you for your input, but we are not ready to lock down this thread just yet. I think it is important that we address the issues being brought up here, and clarify what we are doing to help not only the OP, but others who have experienced similar concerns through our store.

Candaman30:

The purpose of feedback is to present a customer's experience with any given company. It is also an opportunity for that company to respond to the issue in question -- whether positive or negative -- and work with the customer to either correct the problem or present viable alternatives to the issue, as well as to ensure that the same errors do not occur in the future.

The OP had an issue with a magazine order. That issue has been dealt with through separate E-mail negotiations, as described by the OP. No, we were not able to correct the situation as it arose, however I did explain to the OP how the error occurred, and how it can be avoided in the future. The error was in no part that of the OP, but a mistake made by one of our sale staff. Mistakes happen. We, too, are only human, and none of us can claim to be perfect. Fortunately for the OP he was able to locate a suitable magazine for his firearm. Unfortunately for us, that purchase did not transpire through our store. But I personally am happier to hear that he was able to secure the item he needed than I am worried about whether or not the sale was made through Ellwood Epps.

As for Pearcetopher, I have asked him to contact our store through E-mail so that I can determine how his order was overlooked. If he did place an order for an item that was later sold from inventory, there is a flaw in our ordering system that needs to be addressed. Or is it possible that he ordered one specific item, but the model that was sold was different catalogue/product number that was similar, but not identical to the item he ordered? We have seen on several occasions where distributors change catalogue numbers on the same product, which results in incoming items being sold to over-the-counter buyers rather than earmarked to complete outstanding orders. I need to determine if this was the case, and if so, how we can prevent that from happening again, or if it was simply a matter of the item being sold when it should have been set aside for Pearcetopher's order.

Again, mistakes happen. We admit that. But if you read through the forums addressing our customer service, you will see that we do not take those mistakes lightly, and we do try to correct those situations as we are able. Not every customer is going to come away with a glowing report of their experiences at Ellwood Epps, nor at any other retail outlet. But if we can satisfy the majority of our customers, and do what we can to correct the problems that arise with any others, I think we are doing better than people like yourself give us credit for.
    My dealings with Epps was no better if not worse than the OP's. A few years back I ordered a rifle via mail order, the wrong gun was shipped I had to cover the cost of shipping back to the store as well as the original shipping, then was expected to pay a third shipping of the proper rifle back to me. Upon receiving the proper rifle that gun was faulty right from the box. Obviously the store never so much as opened the box before shipping as the problem was visually evident. When contacted Epps I was told to mail it to the warranty center as Epps wanted nothing to do with it. That was my first and last dealings with a store that treats a customer like that. I now deal with a store that takes care of their customers as problems like what I experienced from Epps cannot be fixed. To me is sad to see how a store can diss their customers, only to try and justify their mistakes when it becomes known online.

Quote Originally Posted by canadaman30 View Post
    My dealings with Epps was no better if not worse than the OP's. A few years back I ordered a rifle via mail order, the wrong gun was shipped I had to cover the cost of shipping back to the store as well as the original shipping, then was expected to pay a third shipping of the proper rifle back to me. Upon receiving the proper rifle that gun was faulty right from the box. Obviously the store never so much as opened the box before shipping as the problem was visually evident. When contacted Epps I was told to mail it to the warranty center as Epps wanted nothing to do with it. That was my first and last dealings with a store that treats a customer like that. I now deal with a store that takes care of their customers as problems like what I experienced from Epps cannot be fixed. To me is sad to see how a store can diss their customers, only to try and justify their mistakes when it becomes known online.
    There is always more to the story than what is being told here.

If the rifle in question was being returned to our store because the wrong item was shipped, we would cover the cost of return shipping, as well as the retail selling price, taxes and outbound shipping costs. This is standard policy. If we made the mistake, we fix the mistake. It is not up to the customer to pay to return an item they did not purchase.

As for an issue with the replacement rifle, we do not usually inspect new firearms, as we take it on faith that quality control is handled by the manufacturer. Wal-Mart does not open and inspect every toaster and microwave and vacuum cleaner they sell. Canadian Tire does not inspect every ratchet set and power drill and table saw they offer through their stores. It is taken for granted that the manufacturer has inspected those items and deemed them free from defect or fault. However, a warranty is offered so that if any such defect or fault does arise, the item can be serviced or replaced as the manufacturer sees fit.

The purpose to a warranty is so that the manufacturer or authorized warranty service centre can inspect and repair any fault or defect in their merchandise when such faults or defects are found by the consumer. It is standard warranty practice by all companies for the consumer to pay to ship a product to the warranty centre, while return freight is covered by the manufacturer once the issue has been addressed. This system has been debated countless times on these forums. This system is not one that is created by the retailer, but by the manufacturer.

As for "Epps wanted nothing to do with it", that is an over simplification, plain and simple. Again, this system has been hashed over and slagged and dragged through the mud ad nauseum on more forums here on GunNutz than I can point out with a frying pan. Warranty issues must be handled by the authorized warranty centre, otherwise the warranty on that item is void. Ellwood Epps is the authorized warranty centre for Weatherby firearms as well as a number of other brands. That means every consumer who buys a Weatherby rifle in British Columbia, or in Quebec, or in Newfoundland, must ship their guns to our store for servicing if inspection and repair is required. And yes, every single one of them had to pay to ship the gun to Ontario, while those firearms are sent back to their owners at no extra cost once the required servicing has been completed.

If you choose to shop elsewhere other than at Ellwood Epps, that choice is yours. That is what a free market economy is all about. But do not stand behind a claim that says the reason you shop elsewhere is because Ellwood Epps (or Wolverine Supply, or Al Flagherty's, or Gagnon Sports, or Shooters Choice, or Wantalls, etc . . . ) "wanted nothing to do with" a warranty issue that is not theirs to handle. Instead, consider that we are in business to HELP our customers, as I have stated before, not to "diss (our) customers", as you claim.
    Last edited by Harrier .45; 11-13-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    If gun owners in this country were truly a threat, do you really think our politicians would have lasted this long??

Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    ...but without question they have the best prices on everything I have seen. If at any given moment you search Canadian retailers for any gun you want, Epps will probably have it for the cheapest price you see it for. Some other stores may have the same price, but in 98% of cases, you can bet that Epps is the best...
    Yes! You're right about that for sure! Especially with reloading stuff! I love Ellwood Epps! And yes, nobody is perfect!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Outcast's Avatar
    One stop from 100 acres with a house in the middle
    Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    Actually, you thought wrong.
    How about dealing with any perceived problems yourself, without complaining to strangers on the 'net.
    Haha this applies to 95% of the crap on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by tiriaq View Post
    Actually, you thought wrong.
    How about dealing with any perceived problems yourself, without complaining to strangers on the 'net.
    Speak for yourself. I like to hear about other peoples transactions.
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
    “Big Brother is watching you.” - George Orwell

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast